Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Weird deal with honey tek, ideas?
    #375529 - 08/21/01 07:24 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Wazzup guys

I used a little spore solution I had left over to make a small batch of honey water, and after a week and a half (it was EQ, grew sloooowwww) there were large puffy balls of what I thought was mycelium.

Well, I innoculated 5 jars with the mix. The next day, I see small wisps of what I thought was mycelium, but actually looked pretty grey. A few days later, the grey color hadn't changed and I was ready to start over and give those jars up to cobweb mold (though it didn't look cobweby, just grey).

Today I look at the jars and I swear the color has shifted more towards white, and there's now rhizo growth along the edges of the grey-turning-white growth.

Do you think the mycelium started growing a few days after the cobweb and is trying to catch up (damaged mycelium probably won't produce fruit,.) Or maybe, since it was the first time I'ved used verm, that I'm not accustomed to what young mycelium looks like (used rice previous times.)????

I don't want to start this batch over, it's more work of course, but I could use some advice from you guys as to what to do...

Thanks
Grover

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShadowTH
Dilated Mind

Loc: Wonderland
Re: Weird deal with honey tek, ideas? [Re: FungusFarmer]
    #375535 - 08/21/01 08:00 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds exactly like what I'm going through with a few tiny jars I innoculated using honey.. Was pretty sterile the whole way through, so odds are it's fine. Actually, looking at them right now, It's obvious that it was mycelium, and it looks a lot healthier. Either way just keep 'em around longer and see what happens, but I'd guess that the mycelium is probably just getting used to growing in the substrate and you've got nothing to worry about. =)

-Mark

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Weird deal with honey tek, ideas? [Re: ShadowTH]
    #375541 - 08/21/01 08:42 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Ive used a similar malt water tek and had all sorts of weird shite germinate in them...

--------------------

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: Weird deal with honey tek, ideas? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #375546 - 08/21/01 08:57 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the input guys...

This has really got me puzzled. Parts of it are really looking like mycelium, but what if I really had some kind of mold at first and the mycelium took over....will these cakes ever produce fruit?

I wish I could take a good picture...the greyish stuff was like mycelium kinda, except you could see small litlte strands that almost looked like hairs....weird. I wish there was a diehard test for this...anyone know if blacklight helps cobweb stick out?

Grover

"What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

OfflineL3D
enthusiast
    #375553 - 08/21/01 09:19 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

What you decribe is exactly what i had happen with my honey water jars. after a few more days i saw rizos. give it some time. by the way all my jars looked like that and every one fruited just fine. Remember there is a little bit of Honey water(shouldb e a bit yellow )at the innoc oints and may be makeing it lok a bit darker at this early point.

L3D

Edited by L3D on 08/21/01 10:21 AM.

OfflineShadowTH
Dilated Mind

Loc: Wonderland
    #375555 - 08/21/01 09:24 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Yep.. sounds exactly what mine looked like. I actually watched the jars over a few days with an 8x lens because it kinda concerned me, though I was pretty sure it was mycelium. It was grey, sorta whitish, (but not enough to be sure it was mycelium) and had the "hairs" you were talking about radiating outward. This was the same for the first jar that I innoculated directly with spores after 2 days though, and the mycelium ended up growing right from that spot, so it probably didn't concern me as much as you to see a lot of it with the honey tek. Just figured that it was mycelium starting out, and would take some time to get started. Anyway, I hope that helped. Good luck =)

-Mark

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace
Re: Weird deal with honey tek, ideas? [Re: ShadowTH]
    #375581 - 08/21/01 10:34 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Same thing happens in my honey water jars, they start off growing quick from innoculation time with grey looking mycilium and then after i left it alone for a few days and came back, they were fine. Maybe the carmel color from the actual honey stains the mycelium???

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: Weird deal with honey tek, ideas? [Re: baraka]
    #375586 - 08/21/01 10:48 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the input guys!

I've always gone the route of prints/brown rice, so playing with verm and making my own BRF is totally new to me...let alone growing mycelium in a liquid medium.

Looking at the jars, they all have a clear swath of the greyish-starting-to-rizo growth consistent with where the honey water was injected, so I suppose it makes sense. Just hard to get over that weird grey color, although the edges are starting to get whiter and thready....

Bottom line, the grey hairs and overall 'greyness' (overuse of the word grey, sorry) of the substrate had me worried I'd botched up again (orange bacteria killed 12/18 jars last time)...

Hearing that this is probably normal has made my day guys, thanks a lot for the input!

I'll be back from work later and we'll see how things go....although being a tech support agent for a big mulitmiedia company means I'll be too busy dodging bullets from pissy customers to worry about my jars...

Made my day! thanks
Grover

PS: more experiences/info are very welcome still

--------------------

OfflineL3D
enthusiast
    #375741 - 08/21/01 04:29 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

No problem always glad to help.

>>> although being a tech support agent for a big mulitmiedia company means I'll be too busy dodging bullets from pissy customers to worry about my jars...

HAHA i hear you man i was in your shoes not 6 months ago. had this one guy that barley spoke english and did not no the word "no". It took 5 difernt people t find out what his problem was becuse everything we asked him he replied "YES".
I used to wish they shipped computers with a warenty that you could take it back if you were to stupid to use it. would make tech support a lot better.

L3D

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Weird deal with honey tek, ideas? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #376144 - 08/22/01 03:42 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I found the first signs of mycelia in my substrate from malt water to be a little wispy at first but its soon looked highly rhizomorphic...

--------------------

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

#376454 - 08/22/01 01:43 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the input guys, I'm glad I asked before I trashed all six jars and started over...which was my first plan. Good thing I didn't have any brown rice or I'd be shooting myself right now becuase I threw out 6 good jars..

well make that 5 good jars. One didn't germinate at all....does this happen once in a while with honey water?

I shook the syringe real well to disperse the mycelium cells, but some of the mycelium was so thick I absolutely coudln't get it into the syringe, so I'm sure I probably just ended up injecting blank water in there...but both holes are empty so I guess it's odds catching up

BTW: Those jars are kicking some ass now, whoowee. I had written off my Ryche Hawk EQ syringes for being worn out becuase they colonized rice so slow.

Grover

--------------------

OfflineL3D
enthusiast
    #376470 - 08/22/01 02:05 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

>>One didn't germinate at all....does this happen once in a while with honey water?

Yes some times it may not germinate.

>>some of the mycelium was so thick I absolutely coudln't get it into the syringe

Suck it into the syring and then squrit it nice and fast back into the jar and that should break up that mycelium for you.

L3D

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: Weird deal with honey tek, ideas? [Re: L3D]
    #376489 - 08/22/01 02:20 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

L3D: I tried that man...this stuff was concrete. I even poked it, swirled the jar, damn near broke it across my knee....when I tried to suck it into the syringe I'd just make a huge vacuum...bleh.

It's pretty sad how something as dumb as good jars turned my mood from blue to happy as hell recently. :) :)

Anyone have any experience with Ryches Thailand Lipa Yais? I didn't get the KS becuase I'd rather have taller, thinner fruit than short fat ones that hog up space in my terrarium.... I'm hoping for a yield of 2g's per flush, we'll have to see

Thanks guys
Grover

--------------------

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

#376493 - 08/22/01 02:28 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Woweee...that's some agressive growth these babies have yielded. I've had parts of jars get very rizo while others maintained "charmin fluffy" texture...

...but never have I had thready growth along the entire 'front' of growing mycelium. From what I understand, that's a good sign and I'm damn excited about this project.

I'm hoping for around 2-3g dried per flush, about what I had with B+ cakes on rice....does that sound reasonable for a mix of equador and lipa yai?

Anyways, I know I'm flooding this post but hearing that my grey myco problem was actually a good thing has turned on the question machine....thanks for the patience

Grover

--------------------

Offlinecoolmist
Stranger
Re: Weird deal with honey tek, ideas? [Re: L3D]
    #376569 - 08/22/01 04:38 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

put a few broken bits of glass in jars before you knock it up.
wen you ready to make syringes shake the jar and the glass will break up the mycelium.

sporemagic forums
http://rain.prohosting.com/coolmist/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl
http://rain.prohosting.com/coolmist/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: Weird deal with honey tek, ideas? [Re: coolmist]
    #377697 - 08/24/01 09:17 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Oh yeah baby, the five honey tek jars are WHOOPING ASS. I've never seen such agressive mycelium, it's thready/rhizo as a mofo I'm afraid it's going to eat through the glass. These jars will be done in the next three days of so, for a total growth time of TEN DAYS. Wow, and I was worried I had a sick strain of EQ...gues they hate rice (my first attempt).

Hopefully this rhizo means these babies will be pretty productive, can't wait to share with a few close friends :) :) :)

Grover

Too bad I Don't have anymore eq honey water, though my 5 Thailand Lipa Yais are starting to get rizo and take off....so far not as agressive as those EQs. Oh well, you can't have your cake and eat it too....

You have my endorsement of the honey tek, after some early jitters I'll be singing the praises of honey water as I slip into the underworld for a few hours

Grover

Edited by FungusFarmer on 08/24/01 10:18 AM.

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #377710 - 08/24/01 09:42 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Yeap, honey water tek kicks ass when you get it right. Just a pic to others know what you are talking about.

"Houston, we have a problem... shrooms are over "
=)Free&Spread the Spores(=
Support the FSR

Edited by MAIA on 08/24/01 11:39 AM.

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract