Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineaegagropilon
Stranger
gnats in my casing!?!? - help!
    #375717 - 08/21/01 05:23 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i have a casing tray in a perlite terrarium that has just begun to pin, pretty nicely. but i noticed one problem today - there seem to be several gnats living in the casing. they werent there a couple days ago. i have no idea what happened. has this ever happened to anyone? is there a way for me to get rid of the gnats and still save the shrooms? will their presence interfere with the shrooms at all? anyone- please help. thanks

aegagropilon

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleInsomnia
addict
Re: gnats in my casing!?!? - help! [Re: aegagropilon]
    #376188 - 08/22/01 08:08 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Hi aegagropilon,

Those are most likely fungal gnats. This is their season, and they love living in soil or other media that's kept too wet. The young live in and on the soil.

This is no problem for plants (a lot of cannabis cultivators deal with them) because there are organic sprays to kill them. Unfortunately, I can't recommend applying this to your mushrooms.

Bugs hate moving air. Try to keep a mild stream of air across the casing. Or, get some tweezers and pick the bastards out.

I've never had a problem with pests and I've grown in the summer plenty of times. Just experiment and see what happens. Mushrooms grow quickly enough that if you have to ditch this batch (it will suck) you can always start fresh.

I'm not sure if they have the potential to harm your crop, especially because once you see pins, you can expect to harvest the fruits 4 to 5 days after. That shouldn't give them enough time to ruin the show.

Peace.

I choked Linda Lovelace!

--------------------
"If you believe in things you do not understand, you will suffer." ? Stevie Wonder

Offlineshellacct
addict

Loc: BAD DOG!
Re: gnats in my casing!?!? - help! [Re: aegagropilon]
    #376218 - 08/22/01 09:19 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

your best bet is to probably just pick the little bastards out. I get these little mother fuckers occasionally in my friend of a friend's outdoor beds.... they'll eat holes in a shroom or two, but no big deal.... just make sure that when you go to dry them, you split all the stems down the middle to make sure the little fuckers didn't lay any eggs.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer J. Simpson

In the above, Any and all references to reality are entirely fictional.

Just because you are paranoid, don't mean they're not after you...

--------------------
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer J. Simpson

In the above, Any and all references to reality are entirely fictional.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: gnats in my casing!?!? - help! [Re: shellacct]
    #376235 - 08/22/01 09:44 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Gnats are the worst of all contaminants I've come across.

If you can squeeze a flush out of the tray, great; go for it. I ended up having to completely clean my entire apartment [short of bug bombing] to prevent the little bastards from attacking subsequent crops. I don't know the life cycle, but it seems like they lay their eggs and the aroma of active mycelium triggers them to hatch. Like Aliens or something.
They're a bitch, no question about it. Like to hide deep in the casing, look like a cross between a gnat and a mosquito on steroids.
Maybe it's cecid flies I had, which might be something different, dunno.

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: gnats in my casing!?!? - help! [Re: Suntzu]
    #377911 - 08/24/01 05:39 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Here's a tip for anyone doing cakes that has this problem. Even if it has got to the point where they have layed their eggs you can still salvage your cakes by just going ahead and doing a dunk on them.

The larvae won't survive the long submersion in the water so you are free and clear. It is virtually impossible to get rid of them in casings though.

They are pesky little bastards as their life cycle is very short and they lay an incredible amount of eggs to make up for it.

*MAKE THE SHROOMERY A BETTER PLACE!*
Visit the suggestion forum & be active in ALL aspects of the community!
When you are done go visit the FSR!

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: gnats in my casing!?!? - help! [Re: Karen]
    #448721 - 11/06/01 09:11 AM (15 years, 30 days ago)

Great! I left a window open and i found gnats all over my casing and red little gooy shit i assume is their eggs?? Anyway, i killed them all and removed their eggs - ill let you know how i go!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation