Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Mycobags, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineWhAcKeD
Researcher
 User Gallery
Where is this Green Mold coming from???
    #3753370 - 02/08/05 11:53 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hey guys. I'm getting frustrated. After two batches, a total of 12 jars (6 birdseed and 6 rye) I Have yet to produce anything. My birdseed jars just stopped growing, and my rye jars took off but all got green mold after about 3 weeks. Finally today I inoculated a pre-sterilized straw substrate bag that I bought from mycobag.com to see if that works. I've used 4 syringes of pan cyan so far, and I've got 1 left. I set aside 5 control jars from 2 batches of rye jars, and didn't inncoluate them but just left the tinfoil on top, and they did not get contaminated after 3 weeks. In both batches I used the oven tek during inoculation. I also pc'd for 90 minutes. I've got 2 hepa's now, so maybe I should try a different inoculation technique? My jars are quart and half pint jars with 3/8" holes in the lids, with polyfill pulled through. I put a layer of tyvek under the lid, and two coffee filters rubberbanded over the top after inoculation. I even wore gloves and a dust mask, and wiped down the whole area with 10% bleach/water solution and sprayed lysol everywhere.

?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where is this Green Mold coming from??? [Re: WhAcKeD]
    #3753390 - 02/08/05 11:55 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

was it a self prepared syringe or vendor purchased.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where is this Green Mold coming from??? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3753875 - 02/09/05 01:27 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I think the over tek is a poor one. BTW< before anyone presses the issue on why it DOES work, I dont care, I dont think it does, I've seen all the "proof" and it doesnt add up so dont bother trying to convince me, I'll just ignore it anyways :smile:. Anywho....I like my bathroom. Stripped of all towels and tooth brushes and rolls of toilet paper and plungers and EVERYTHING thats not concreted down..then throw the HEPA filters in there for an hour. Before you go in, spray oust outside the door and as you walk in all around the bathroom. Go in wearing only boxers, gloves and a dust mask and make sure all a/c's and heaters are off and bring all your stuff in that youll need. Wipe down everything with "lysol with bleach" spray cleaner. Wash your hands with antibacterial soap before and after putting the gloves on. Turn off the HEPAs before working if just the regular home units, I think the push around more contams then the still air. The mask disturbs your breating too so almost nothing in the bathroom can move..smoke will just sit still in there..thats when you know its good.

Keep everything sterile with alcohol (any tools you use) and flame and alcohol wipe any needles. Also wipe down the spot that you inject with alcohol before injecting, or better yet, inject through an alcohol cotton or wipe.

I do agar, liquid cultures, grain to grains, syringes, inoculations, casing, everything open air in this environment with VERY few contams.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Where is this Green Mold coming from??? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3753905 - 02/09/05 01:32 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I think the over tek is a poor one.

Agreed.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineWhAcKeD
Researcher
 User Gallery
Re: Where is this Green Mold coming from??? [Re: dog]
    #3755740 - 02/09/05 01:27 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

it was a nendor purchased syringe. I am feeling the same way about the oven tek. And my kitchen and oven are both filthy. I didn't know to wipte the jar lid with alcohol, either. I am actually thinking I will get a big moving box, tape a piece of plexi (that I have. It's about 2.5'x18") in the side, and a trash bag under that, and put the hepa in their and do everything in there. So are my contams coming from the oven tek? Or could they be getting in during incubation?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3755818 - 02/09/05 01:52 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Could be either but oven tek is poor and you didnt follow complete sterilization procedures so its quite likly that a few of those were you. Some may just contam though..a few happens. Shouldnt be anymore then 5-10 out of every 100 jars you do though..

If that is just a home model HEPA, normal things..dont do this...you'll be introducing more contams. You need a 99.97% or better filter and blower to make a flowhood if you want to go that route. A still glovebox (rubbermaid with plexi top and holes in the sides with rubber gloves affixed) will be better then a pressurized one with a less then excellent HEPA filter. Using the HEPA's to clean a room or area can work but dont work with them on. Thats why I mentioned that in my above post for reasons just explained. And if you lysol your still box glovebox to clean it..let the fumes disapate before lighting anything in it!

Also you do relize you arent working with cubies right? Pan cyans will need to be spawned to poo and they are more suseptable to contams due to the less aggressive mycelium. They also colonize at room temps (like 75ish I think) so if they're in an incubator, they maybe shouldnt be, unless its really cold where they are.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineWhAcKeD
Researcher
 User Gallery
    #3759203 - 02/10/05 12:21 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, I've got cow dung + compost and straw all ready and waiting... Umm, room temps? I thought it was 80-85 degrees:
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/26004
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7982
And it is really cold, I'm in colorado. They humidity is 0% too.
It is a Holmes model hap240 and says 99% of particles larger than 2 microns. Does higher temperature make it more likely to get contaminated?
So my best bet is a to build a still glove box?

Offlinechocbruce
Learned Student

Loc: ...
    #3760882 - 02/10/05 10:44 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Oven Tek is the source of your troubles. see if u have any moldy bread in your kitchen. You could try innoculating outside. in winter there's not a lot of biological activity below freezing. Just work quickly.

--------------------
I look for answers and present ideas, but in no way shape or form endorse, or partake in, growing, or manufacture of substances, or plants, or any specie that is illegal in your neck of the woods. I do however, tear the tags off of my mattresses. Be warned.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3761028 - 02/10/05 11:32 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

WhAcKeD said:
Yes, I've got cow dung + compost and straw all ready and waiting... Umm, room temps? I thought it was 80-85 degrees:
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/26004
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7982
And it is really cold, I'm in colorado. They humidity is 0% too.
It is a Holmes model hap240 and says 99% of particles larger than 2 microns. Does higher temperature make it more likely to get contaminated?
So my best bet is a to build a still glove box?

The first link is about cubies. I am not SURE about the temps, but the person who wrote the second tek could be wrong too. Look in the archieve section at the top of this forum. Theres a pan section that will have TONS of answers. Read what EVERYONE says...

--------------------

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #3761463 - 02/10/05 01:33 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Temperature for incubation is listed as 79-84F in TMC...

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineWhAcKeD
Researcher
 User Gallery
Re: Where is this Green Mold coming from??? [Re: ATWAR]
    #3766876 - 02/11/05 03:52 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I couldn't find anything in the archive section about pan cyans, and I kept getting errors when I tried to search...

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3766887 - 02/11/05 03:55 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/panaeolus

Theyre under Panaeolus.

You can trust Atwars info to be correct though..79-84 degrees.

--------------------

OfflineWhAcKeD
Researcher
 User Gallery
    #3769692 - 02/12/05 03:13 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

ohh, thank you!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Mycobags, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation