Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineInnernaut
MycologicalNetworkTechnician

Karo Problems
    #3588309 - 01/06/05 09:32 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Karo has always been simple and easy and I have always had very successfull results in the past. Although, I have attempted it 5 times in the last week and it always ends up carmelized. Here is my formula... 1 teaspoon of karo per 100ml distilled h20. Put 2 towels in bottom of pc to lighten heat from the burner. Load pc and cook for 20 minutes at 15psi.

On another note, I was wanting to make some karo in a Quart Jar. So I use the same formula (8 teaspoons / 800ml h20) and it is always carmelizing as well. I am using the 14 qt capacity all american PC.

Does anyone have any ideas or alternate methods I could use to ensure that the karo is sterile and not carmelized? Thanks

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: Karo Problems [Re: Innernaut]
    #3588328 - 01/06/05 09:37 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

if you have any questions just ask. take a pf style jar (one with holes in it). put 2 tsp. of karo in it. boil about 130 cc's of water (allow for the evaporation). once the water is boiling pour it into the jar with the karo in it and place a layer of saran wrap on it real quick(your going to need to have 3 sheets already cut),the heat will kill any initial bacteria, screw the lid on real quick and then place the next two layers of saran wrap on it. place in the fridge to cool down. once cool lift the first layer of saran wrap and inoculate trought the first 2 layers of saran wrap then place the third layer back on. and place in incubator. 100% success to date.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlineus3fu1idi0t
HomeGrown
 User Gallery

Loc: Living in the Mushrooms w...
Re: Karo Problems [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3588357 - 01/06/05 09:48 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Use microwaveable container, 1 tsp Karo per 100ml, cook for 2 minutes, let it sit for 1 minute, cook for another 2 minutes, let sit another minute. (I do this 3 times just to be safe). Let cool down in fridge or at room temp until cook to touch. Lift lid slightly (do not take lid fully off and make sure you are in clean environtment) and inoculate, putting the lid back on ASAP.

I have 8 karo cultures done just as stated above all with nice white, fluffy cotton balls of mycelium awaiting a sterile syringe. Easy, simple and to the point.

--------------------
Watch out for the smurfs!

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Karo Problems [Re: us3fu1idi0t]
    #3588465 - 01/06/05 10:25 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i think the PC is the reason you're getting caramelized sugars in your Karo jars. i only boil my karo jars, even though i have a PC. i get the same problem as you when i use a PC. :smile:

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Re: Karo Problems [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3693727 - 01/28/05 01:55 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I've read alot about using Karo, and I've noticed that when people have issues with carmelization when PC'ing, whether it be 15 mins or 45, its not because of the pressure. Its because you're heating the PC'er too quickly. Use a lower heat and some patience to make the pressure, and I'll bet you'd be fine...

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Offlinescooterpop
Foolish Mortal

Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun
Re: Karo Problems [Re: Innernaut]
    #3704394 - 01/30/05 09:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I've had good success just steaming karo jars in a big pot with a tight lid for 1 hour. keep the jars a good distance above the water level.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures