Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemahookah
journeyman
Loc: NV
Hello, newbie, some questions
    #368382 - 08/07/01 08:56 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Hello everyone, I have been lurking here for about a month and I finally decided to participate. Great site! Anyway, a friend of mine started out 10 days ago with the PF tek. He innoculated 5 1qt. jars with 2cc's each of spores (bought from one of the suppliers from this very place). Everything is going great, jars are colinizing very rapidly and no sign of contams. One thing though, we live in a very dry climate and I'm worried that they will dry out before the terrarium stage. We did include a little wet vermiculite inside the cake, but I dont want to take the lid off the jar to rehydrate unless absolutely necessary. Also, is it o.k. to take them out and look at them every couple of days or will this expose them to too much light and/or contams? Finally, he has the jars in a cardboard box in the closet, should we fan some air into these boxes every few days or is that not important at this stage. Thank you in advance for your help, I have spent so much time reading lately about this stuff that I have fogotten some of this basic info.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Hello, newbie, some questions [Re: mahookah]
    #368393 - 08/07/01 09:21 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Gee, I thought the pf tek used 1/2 pint jars!

You could be waiting for a while for full colonization. What do you mean by 'take them out'? Take them out of the closet? Thats fine, they are in sealed canning jars, right?
I wouldn't want to take them out of the jars untill it's time to birth.
At this point, you don't really have to worry about fresh or dry air, they are sealed in thier own lttle enviroment and should not be affected by outside conditions.

Take a trip to the Spore Lab @:
http://www.SporeLab.com
email: getspores@sporelab.com

Offlinemahookah
journeyman
Re: Hello, newbie, some questions [Re: ]
    #368420 - 08/07/01 10:17 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Thanx for the speedy reply, Capt. Max. I stand corrected, I meant to say 1 pint jars, which I realise is a little larger than the PFtek calls for, but that's what I used. Anyway, I am very surprised at the growth so far. Ten days and most of the area touching the glass is colinized, I think. What I mean is that there is a white sort of haze over about 75-80 percent of the glass (except for the bottom) with small strips of totally uncolonized substrate between them. In the past few days I have noticed that certain areas of this haze have developed kind of like roots which I assume is the mycellium which are spreading out too. One question I have is; do I consider the cake fully colonised when it is totally covered in the white foggy stuff(?), or when these root structures fully take up the surface area of the cake? Sorry I sound so ignorant, but I really haven't yet seen any pictures yet of this stage of growth. Thank you.

OfflineTHEKind
Stranger
Loc: NH
    #368570 - 08/08/01 05:43 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Did you actually read the pf tek, they have plenty of useful pics....
http://www.fanaticus.com/inocubat.htm
http://www.fanaticus.com/birthday.htm

Edited by THEKind on 08/08/01 07:51 AM.

InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

Loc: R'lyeh
    #368580 - 08/08/01 06:27 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Mycelium grows fluffy and rizomorphic. The 'roots' you see is called rizomorphic growth ...which is good. When the entire surface area of the jar is colonized with white mycelium of either type of growth it should be about fully colonized aye. It would be best to wait several days at least after full colonization of the surface area to make sure the mycelium has colonized the center of the cake well before birthing.

"That is not dead which may eternal lie..and with strange eons even death may die."

Edited by Great_Cthulhu on 08/08/01 07:30 AM.

--------------------
"That is not dead which may eternal lie..and with strange eons even death may die."
Vote Great Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?

Offlinefredhedd
    #368592 - 08/08/01 07:03 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

well shockingly i dont really know too much about what's going on w/ your situation. but i see that you have mentioned that you have a cardboard box in the closet. i think that's a good idea because it's out of the way and all. and i think everyone knows that some cardboard boxes are kinda big and they can get in the way of walking around your domain. i think i have some old motorcycle parts in my box though. hope this helped ya . fred

i'm fred
kill yourself

--------------------
i'm fred
kill yourself

OfflineShiznitz
addict
Loc: Canada
    #368658 - 08/08/01 09:14 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

The cakes should have enough moisture in them, so you don't need to take the lids off and rehydrate them until after you birth them.

You can look at them whenever you want, but don't take them out of the jars yet. Don't open the lids either. As long as your hands are clean and they're in a clean environment, it is fine to look at them, but not opening the jar and looking at them. There's no such thing as "too much light", unless the light is giving off a lot of heat.

No need to fan the boxes. You start fanning when you birth the cakes.

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

Offlinemahookah
journeyman
Re: Hello, newbie, some questions [Re: Shiznitz]
    #368858 - 08/08/01 03:55 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you everyone, that was exactly what I was looking for. In response to Thekind, yes, I did read the tek, but it was from a different source, I think the how to section of this site. I even printed it out, so it didn't have any pictures. Thanks though, for the links that you provided. I had not yet been to that site. I was a little surprised, though, when they talk about
letting the jars colonize at around 70 degrees. I've always heard at least 80 and since my roommate likes to keep the a/c down around 76, I was a little concerned that when it came time to induce fruiting, that it would be necessary to drop the temperature by 5 degrees or so to get it to work. Is that so?

Fredhead,
Ya, I kind of like them being in boxes because I think it: 1. Keeps in a little heat (maybe), and 2. keeps alot of possible airborne invaders out. Also, it keeps my different batches together, and they also stack nicely on top of each other.

T/y also Shiznits and Great Cthulhu, I just love to look at my babies and was also a teencie worried that the foggy (i.e. non rizomorphic) stuff was perhaps something unwanted. Like I said, I have a lot of new stuff floating around in my head and cobweb mold was one of them. I guess it's kind of like being a new parent, everything makes me nervous, lol.

Offlinenestafy
Loc: Hawaii
    #368867 - 08/08/01 04:09 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Hey.. also, when living in a really dry environment... maybe put that shit under a cupboard in the bathroom, and turn on the shower w/ some really warm water to kinda steam up the place y'know..

OfflineTHEKind
Stranger
Loc: NH
    #369188 - 08/09/01 05:18 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

It will definately work w/o changing the temperature, you might just get better and faster pinning if you reduce the temperature slightly at birth......but not too much to worry about

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate