Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemrshrums
Contam or bruise???
    #368247 - 08/07/01 05:20 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

This is my first flush ever. I just pulled four off of two cakes
today and 4 hours later I notice blueish green on top of the
two cakes I pulled. Here is a picture you can barely see it. Also note I moved these two particular cakes to a larger area two days earlier. I just wondered wether it is contaminate or just a bruise. I have yet to witness either. If it is contaminated now should I pitch the four shrooms I pulled earlier today? I did not touch the cake at all and washed my hands good before I pulled them.

Edited by mrshrums on 08/07/01 04:23 PM.

Edited by mrshrums on 08/07/01 04:24 PM.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Contam or bruise??? [Re: mrshrums]
    #368484 - 08/08/01 02:38 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I can't see a thing in your picture regarding color...however from what you say it is almost definitely bruising!!!! Congrats on your first harvest.

If you want to be absolutely sure (which most newbies do because they worry too much) ...leave them alone and don't touch them at all for a day or two (meaning don't poke at it or pick it up, etc.) and if it doesn't spread it's brusing...if it does it is contams.

You should already probably be able to tell though because most contams grow really quickly.

One more thing though....Your pins look mighty plump. Looks like you may be looking at some fat-asses. How were the shape of your harvested shrooms? If they were plump I would do a couple searches on fatasses and read up a little.

Karen

*MAKE THE SHROOMERY A BETTER PLACE!*
Visit the suggestion forum & be active in ALL aspects of the community!
When you are done go visit the FSR!

Invisiblemrshrums
Re: Contam or bruise??? [Re: Karen]
    #368577 - 08/08/01 08:17 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well it has been 24 hours and it hasn't spread. I'm pretty sure your right that it is just a bruise. Sorry about the bad pic it was the best I could do. Time to upgrade to a higher res camera, mine is pretty old. My stems were fat but the caps were nice as well. They were about 3" long and the cap about the size of a nickle. I noticed that a couple of the new shrooms have the same blue green tinge in them. It is the same color that normally appears in dried shrooms. Is this normal, contam, or indication of higher potency?

OfflineJimmelein
Stranger
Re: Contam or bruise??? [Re: mrshrums]
    #369427 - 08/09/01 07:30 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

After doing some searching, I found that the blue-green tint can be bruising from direct contact as well as from the cake drying out. I just celebrated my first flush about a month ago and experienced the exact same thing that you're describing. I'm not sure how my cakes could've been drying since the humidity was way up, but I tried the PF double-ended casing tek and it worked beautifully. As was mentioned, as long as that blue-green doesn't spread......
Congrats!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum