Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, Kava Kava, Valerian Root

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
Social Disease
    #3679651 - 01/25/05 10:08 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I have this social disease well I still can be social but inside it is hard to be. For example I always think about the way I look when I talk to people. I think about If I look good and how I look when I talk to them. It just makes my conversation worse. I cant seem to overcome this anxiety. Does anyone have any tips for overcoming this? Can shrooms help with concerns like this, this ego of worrying about my looks. Its like a parasite in my head! Ahhh!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKenny7822
Kenny
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: MA, USA
Re: Social Disease [Re: p4kSouL]
    #3679731 - 01/25/05 10:20 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

You mean social anxiety disorder not social disease. I know what you are going through, I am the same way. The best advice I can give you is to go out of your way to talk to people and try not to worry about your fear, eventually you will overcome it though I know it is easier said than done.

Offlinecrazyman
Brass or Steel

Loc: chucktown
Re: Social Disease [Re: Kenny7822]
    #3680124 - 01/25/05 11:27 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, like Kenny said....... However, that may just seem like words of wisdom...

I, too, suffer from Panic Disorder and Social Phobia.... It could stem from numerous things.... Perhaps you have a chemical imbalance that can be treated with and/or without drugs.

If you choose to "shroom", PLEASE, just let the experience FLOW, and try to re-integrate any positive aspects of the tryp into your daily life.

Other than that, you are not alone. Go to a shrink and tell him/her what's REALLY going on inside of you. They can be very helpful.

They most likely will prescribe you an anti-anxiety drug, (non-narcotic at first....and I'd go with non-narcotic if possible), like Trazadone, (which is also an anti-depressant). Go from there.

But please DO go see a doctor and BE HONEST with him about everything.

If not, try some herbal remedies like, Kava, Valerian, Scullcap, or other chemicals like 5-HTP in conjunction with the preceding mentioned herbs.

But I still say, go see a doctor, and be upfront and honest about your symptoms...And try not to act like you are "drug seeking", which a lot of docs are able to spot a mile away.

I wish you the best.

And by the way, there is not a God Damn thing wrong with seeing a shrink. Give it a try if all else fails. And remember that even though YOU think everyone else is thinking of you/judging you .....THEY are thinking the same thing as you are. You are okay. Get some help and don't feel embarrassed to ask for help.....Everybody has "something" fucked up with them!

--------------------
I want to live in Northern Exposure. Ed Chigliak would be my pal.

Edited by crazyman (01/25/05 11:35 PM)

InvisibleBoom
Supervisor
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cypress Creek
Re: Social Disease [Re: Kenny7822]
    #3680144 - 01/25/05 11:31 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'm saying this without knowing anything about either of you, but in my experience habitually smoking weed can cause feelings like this.

(Definitely not everyone, just some potheads become recluses)

InvisibleAdden
Saprotrophic Specimen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Amongst the Dunes
    #3681359 - 01/26/05 02:52 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If you're too embarassed/afraid/anxious about seeing a shrink, just remember; they see people in straight jackets blabbering gibberish and drooling on themselves.

Some SSRI's have an effect on social anxiety disorder. When mine was in its first stages, Celexa worked. However, Lexapro made it worse. Trazadone made me stay up for 5 days from one pill. The only thing that works for me are benzos, and believe me, living with a benzo addiction is not fun.

However, you may just need an SSRI for a little while and some cognitive behavioral health therapy.

Great advice btw, cman.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #3681611 - 01/26/05 03:46 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

For example I always think about the way I look when I talk to people. I think about If I look good and how I look when I talk to them.

this is also called puberty :smirk:

now serious. you'll overcome that eventually. some day you'll realize that it really doesn't matter if you look good or not. Aslo you don't need to worry about things like that (easier said than done, I know) because those people you're talking too don't pay attention all the time on how you look etc.
think about what you do when you're having a conversation; do you think all the time how they look and act? you don't right? assume those other people act the same as you do when having a conversation... suddenly it's not really a problem anymore isnt'it :cool:
Also this whole thing gets easier with time, you need to accept for yourself how you look and other people shouldn't care about that too much either. Pick the clothes you like to wear, not what you think other people would like you to wear etc etc. when you do all this and get used to it you'll be a happier and more confident person :laugh:

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #3682326 - 01/26/05 10:57 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Look at how the person is really responding to you, instead making up your own idea's of what they may think of you!!! Most people are too busy on concentrating on how they themselves come across let alone to think about all the other people in the room! Just like you!

I had this problem too, mainly from smoking to much weed but it was also something that is naturally inside of many of us. You will learn ways to alter your thought patterns permanently. Be open, tell your friends about it, without shame. Its hard but the release is amazing. Now go reprogram that brain of yours!!!

--------------------

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
Re: Social Disease [Re: Ego Death]
    #3682837 - 01/26/05 01:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

hell ya thanks guys

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, Kava Kava, Valerian Root

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being