Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
You never lose the ego.
    #3672322 - 01/24/05 02:19 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

*Deleted*

Edited by Droz (01/26/05 12:39 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: You never lose the ego. [Re: Droz]
    #3672413 - 01/24/05 02:55 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

silly
just bloody masks
and football teams
you are really flying alone

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: You never lose the ego. [Re: Droz]
    #3672423 - 01/24/05 03:00 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not sure if birds have ego's like most people think of the word..Maybe instincts

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: You never lose the ego. [Re: 2Experimental]
    #3672948 - 01/24/05 05:22 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I think that maybe "ego" is inherent to being alive. It's not necessarily a hinderance. I suppose it all depends on how we're defining the term though, definitions change everything.

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
Re: You never lose the ego. [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #3673147 - 01/24/05 05:53 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Ego is natural, but we don't have to be controlled or even influenced at all by it.

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: You never lose the ego. [Re: TinTree]
    #3673155 - 01/24/05 05:55 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Again, I think that depends on your definition of ego. Depending on the philosophical train of thought you are following the term means different things.

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
    #3673171 - 01/24/05 05:59 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmm.... here's a serving of Google's responses.
Quote:

an inflated feeling of pride in your superiority to others
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

self: your consciousness of your own identity

(psychoanalysis) the conscious mind

the conscious self; the "I"; the central, experience-filtering complex of consciousness (in contrast to the Self, the central complex of the collective unconscious)--and the most stable complex because it's grounded in the body sensations. A relatively permanent personification. The most individual part of the person. The ego divides into the ectopsyche and the endopsyche. It's an object in consciousness as well as a requirement for it. Its two main constituents are bodily sensations and memory.
www.tearsofllorona.com/jungdefs.html

the belief in the reality of the separated or false self, made as substitute for the Self Which God created; the thought of separation that gives rise to sin, guilt, fear, and a thought system based on specialness to protect itself; the part of the mind that believes it is separate from the Mind of Christ; this split mind has two parts: wrong- and right-mindedness; almost always used to denote " wrong-mindedness," but can include the part of the split mind that can learn to choose right-mindedness. (Note -- not to be equated with the " ego" of psychoanalysis, but can be roughly equated with the entire psyche, of which the psychoanalytic " ego" is a part.)
www.facim.org/acim/glossary.htm

This is another term for the conditional mind. It describes the collection of beliefs that make up the idea of a separate ?me.? In truth, however, the ego does not exist. To struggle with the ego is to struggle with an illusion. So the attempt to overcome the ego only serves to perpetuate the illusory experience of separation. Ishvara often refers to the ego as the I-consciousness. Back to Top
www.ishvara.org/Glossary.html

Exhaust Gas Oxygen; the concentration of oxygen in the exhaust of an engine. An EGO sensor (also O2 sensor, or oxygen sensor) is used in closed-loop fuel control systems to indicate rich or lean A/F.
www.siemensauto.com/glossaries/electronics_glossary.html

part of the mental apparatus that is present at the interface of the perceptual and internal demand systems. It controls voluntary thoughts and actions, and, at an unconscious level, defense mechanisms.
www.psychejam.com/glossary__of_terms.htm

I can't decide yet... there are parts of several definitions that appeal to me

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: You never lose the ego. [Re: TinTree]
    #3673224 - 01/24/05 06:14 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hmm, interesting list of definitions. I think that the ego can be a lot of things, depending on it's relative health, and the cultural context it exists within. I am glad to be aware of myself as an individual (while simultaneously being aware of myself as intrinsically part of a whole.) I don't think it has to be ego or no ego, self or non-self, enlightenment or ignorance. I think that it's possible, and even desireable to be concious in a variety of ways all at once. Maybe that's what life is for... or at least part of what life can be.

Offlineskystone
stop the motion
Loc: state,country,etc.
    #3673280 - 01/24/05 06:30 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Even monkeys don't know that they are seeing theirselfs in the mirrors, they don't understand the concept of self

I think humans are the only ones with the ego on this planet.

--------------------
"..and suddenly it began to rain"

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
Re: You never lose the ego. [Re: skystone]
    #3673434 - 01/24/05 07:22 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Actually some apes do recognise themselves in the mirror, when a couple adopted a 1-year old chimp and taught it sign language (successfully), they also found that she could recognise herself in the mirror. The chimp was called Washoe, the researchers were the gardeners, if you want to search for it.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3673453 - 01/24/05 07:27 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Ego is the Latin word for "I". It is used sparingly in that language because the first person singular pronoun is already included in the conjugated verb. Al other definitions are derivative. To loose ego is to quit being I.

Offlineskystone
stop the motion
Loc: state,country,etc.
Re: You never lose the ego. [Re: deafpanda]
    #3673536 - 01/24/05 07:47 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

But that doesn't prove that they are aware of themselfs as separate entities...
It only proves that they recognize thir own body, just as they would their arm. I think it's all a part of their instinct.

--------------------
"..and suddenly it began to rain"

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
    #3675606 - 01/25/05 01:29 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

droz our really bored these days arent you,
did you ever escape from those jews?

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: You never lose the ego. [Re: incubaby_421]
    #3675908 - 01/25/05 03:07 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i consider the ego to be one's body, what is present, here and now, what is local. i'd say one loses one's ego when it has been seriously agitated for a long duration of time, one's awareness becomes an epiphenomenon (a ghost) of the body - that is, real mechanical, involving: eating & sleeping, emotional compulsions, belief systems and cyclic thought, etc. so when one's body is struggling to adapt to the world, one becomes imprisoned by their body. i think that psychedelic drugs in many cases will help greatly reduce the tension that the ego has worked itself into, and one becomes more grounded in their body/ego. it is in these moments of being grounded in the body, to be here now, that one is self-aware, and this is when awareness expands beyond the body (transcends - goes beyond, but doesn't exclude) into information that is non-local, that is outside of time, that is everywhere at once. now, ego loss in traditional terms, or out of body experiences, or near death experiences is a very radical shift in consciousness to existing as this Big Mind of information outside of time. these experiences are only temporary, one's body does need things - like food and water, awareness is bound to it like that in order to survive.
So sometimes you need to find your frame of reference, other times you need to return back down to it, but as long as you're alive, it's always present, it's your ego, amd it's always here and now.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology