Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCACA
veteran
Some questions about the proposed tech in MMGG
    #364089 - 07/31/01 12:29 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

tin foil = aluminum foil?
large pot with lid = large pot OR pressure cooker? both are acceptable??
how much vermiculite do i buy?
if i buy long grain brown rice from a supermarket that says "no preservatives" will it work just as well as the stuff from the health food store? I know where there is a health food store and i know they sell it, but its really far away and i don't know if i want to bother my friend to go all the ways over there...
also, what is with the micron magick filter things? do you need those or what?? in this one tech i read that grow the shrooms from the jar itself, it says that there should be 0 air exchange during the colonization stage... is this true? can there be air exchange without contamination without the magick filters? can i use a half a ply of soft paper towels instead? i recieved the spores yesterday and i am going to buy my supplies later on today, so thats why im asking- just to make sure. some things just aren't specific enough sometimes..

:frown:

--------------------
"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." John 15:5

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
Re: Some questions about the proposed tech in MMGG [Re: CACA]
    #364096 - 07/31/01 12:44 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

ok, i'm gonna save you a shitload of time, so listen carefuly.

www.fanaticus.com

this is the PF tek, this tek has been around longer than any of the "web" teks out there. I STARTED on this tek years ago. My 1st time -100% colonization, 0% contamination. Read it, then read it some more, and if you still don't get it, read it again.

D D Island

OfflineCACA
veteran
Re: Some questions about the proposed tech in MMGG [Re: BrownPastures]
    #364109 - 07/31/01 01:03 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

thanks a bunch =)

--------------------
"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." John 15:5

Anonymous

#364110 - 07/31/01 01:03 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Tin foil is aluminum foil
Pressure cooker is always better, but not absolutely neccessary with cakes.
Filter disks are not absolutely neccessary but will increase gas exchange without contamination. During colonization high CO2 is a good thing, but some gas exchange is also good. If you are using jars with an inverted inner lid, just loosen the cap a little bit, this will give some gas exchange with minimal risk of contamination. Just incubate your jars in a clean container.
As far as grains go, the fresher and the cleaner the better. Avoid buying from a country store, or a store that doesn't do high volume. If it is sitting around for a long time at the store, it will be extra dirty.
Don't use anything other then a micron filter if you are gonna use a filter at all. Remember it is not neccessary for small volume colonization. Filters will drastically increase your succes if trying to do large volumes of substrate in a single container. But doing cakes or quart jars of grain, it is not neccesary.
Sterilize proper ratios of substrate, innoculate with spores, incubate in container until colonized. Check daily for signs of growth, both contaminants and mycelium. Get rid of contaminated jars immediately. Do as many jars as you can to increase chances of success. But be very careful at each step of the process, a simple error can cause failure. Avoid contamination with extreme prejudice. Experience is the ultimate teacher in this art, but success on the first attempt is not out of reach. The growing amount of information and resources that are available to you now make this hobby alot easier than it ever was before. Take advantage of these boards, do your homework, get a good syringe from any of the Vendors here, they are all good. But do research on them to, these boards make every step of the process easy, from spore to fruitbody.

OfflineCACA
veteran
    #364114 - 07/31/01 01:25 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

it doesn't tell me how much to buy... also, i don't want to do the cakes... to do the aluminum pan couldn't i just follow the steps for preparation and shake the jar up instead of letting it get hard ?

--------------------

OfflineVitticeps
journeyman
    #364121 - 07/31/01 01:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

How much verm you need depends on how much growing you intend to do. Start with an 8 quart bag, it'll get you through until you see how much you will be using. It's also the most commonly sold size.

-------------------------------------------
Temporary Mycotopia replacement forum:
http://www.vitticeps.f2s.colm
-Vitti

Offlinealuminum_can
addict
Loc: california, orange
    #364159 - 07/31/01 03:32 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

it took me a few minutes to notice the mmgg was crap. when i tried to make my first cake i noticed that the recipe they gave for one jar was like enough for two jars. you would have to cram the substrate in just to get in a tiny layer of verm. i was planning on using the pf tek the first time i grew, but when i was a newbie i didnt know the difference (i thought they were the same site) and i wasted some one jars worth of substrate. fanaticus is the one and only!! just dont give into their bullshit how the pf strain is "magic" and how aborts are more potent then mature shrooms.

if you have any old equipment that you want to get rid of that you are willing to trade for some new stuff the go here to:
Closet Cultivation

--------------------
the little kridders of nature; they dont know that thyre ugly!

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
    #364194 - 07/31/01 04:35 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

CACA im guessing you need to know how to buy because it's hard to get around where you are. You will need a good size bag. I suggest you invest your money in verm as all the other ingredients are relatively easy to find.

When dealing with a recipie, it will most times only give you instructions on how to make one cake. It's up to YOU to do the math. I'm sorry if it wasn't layed out for you like an Amsterdam whore, but you DO have to do a little thinking.

As for the tinfoil/aluminum foil. Buy a ROLL of aluminum foil. You will only need enough to wrap around the top of the jar, if this is what your planning on doing with it.

"it doesn't tell me how much to buy... also, i don't want to do the cakes... to do the aluminum pan couldn't i just follow the steps for preparation and shake the jar up instead of letting it get hard ?"

I have no idea what kind of tek this is but it looks like crap. And it looks like you won't have much success with it. Maybe growing other things like , mold , bacteria, fruit flies, maggots.. the list goes on.

D D Island

OfflineCACA
veteran
    #364255 - 07/31/01 06:27 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

LOL shut up ya bastid!! i was asking for help from experienced people, not criticism! I know that isn't supposed to stop people from criticizing, but, whatever..  I did do the math for you information ! =) The tinfoil thing should be understandable, because I've never seen tin foil before. I've only seen aluminum foil sold in stores. I've heard of tinfoil, but never seen it or seen it being sold. Unless tinfoil is another name for aluminum foil, (or if i knew, it it is) there is a perfectly good reason to ask. I don't feel like fucking up just because I didn't want to ask. So i shouldn't shake the cakes up huh.. ok.. maggots LOL

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation