Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinealuminum_can
addict
Loc: california, orange
honeywater question
    #407507 - 09/28/01 12:43 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

i am moving to a new house (apartment) on the 15th and i am leaving to go stay at my friends house on sunday, till the 15th. i have been really interested in the honey water thing and i am going to use it, and i would like to get it going now, so on the 15th i can innoculate. one of my problems is that i dont have a syringe and ive never used the hony water tek so i am not sure how to fuck with things to get it innoculated without one. could i just scrape some spores into the jar from a small hole, and then just put some masking tape over the hole???? (the masking tape would be on already but id just take it off to innoculate. i was also wondering how to have the lid during colonization??? also, i used a piece of a vacuum cleaner bag on the lid of my terrarium last time so i could have a hole for the air to go out of, and also so no dirty air would just fall in. my question is, could i maybe put a piece of the vacuum cleaner bag on the innoculation hole to speed things up (filter patch) the vacuum cleaner bags are like high quality ($1.69 for two) and they are really good for this type of thing (they are really thick and stop the dirt really well) my last question is, if i make this now, and cant use the mycelium untill after the 15the, will that be too long????

it begins with an "m" and ends with an "ushroom"

get youre equipment from here!!!
Mushroom Mycology Shop

--------------------
the little kridders of nature; they dont know that thyre ugly!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: honeywater question [Re: aluminum_can]
    #407624 - 09/28/01 02:57 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

In my experience, air exchange has absolutely NO effect on the speed of the growth. The actual amount of mycelium you'll be growing is pretty small, and the time span pretty short, so air exchange shouldn't be a big deal. Forget the filter bags, unless you do two jars and want to see which one grows faster. Remember, the goal is to simply get the spores to germinate and grow a little.

Here's what I've done (very similiar to Honey Tek in Grow Find, but I'll paraphrase if for you becuase I love using honey water.)

Take a 1/2 pint jar (without the lid), fill it about halfway with water and stir in about a tablespoon of honey. I've seen it work in varying degrees of concentration, you want the water to have a noticeable yellow tint, but not so dark that it looks brown. Cover the opening of the jar with SeranWrap, hold it on the jar with a rubber band, and poke a few holes in the plastic wrap.

Microwave that on high for 3 minutes, enough for the water to be boiling for several minutes. If you find that the plastic wrap starts inflating too much, poke more holes in it to let the steam out.

When the time is up, wait for the water to stop boiling but is still very hot. Then take another piece of plastic wrap and rubber band it over the first layer of wrap. Let this setup cool for 3 hours or so. Inject with spore syringe 1-3cc and cover the needle hole with yet another layer of plastic wrap. Let sit for a week or so...

In your case, with just a print, you could make a spore syringe out of the print. I feel syringes are better becuase the needle doesn't even have to touch the liquid to put the spores in there.

On the other hand, if you want to just use your print, you could probably get away with removing the top layer of plastic wrap, and then scraping some spores through the holes you made to let the steam escape when you nuked the water. Simply put the to player of plastic wrap back on. Just be sure to have clean air at the time lest anything should fall into the hole.

Honey rocks, no time for contams to start at the innoculation points becuase you'll see growth within 12 hours or so. Just beware, it looks gray and weird when it first starts growing in a solid medium...I almost freaked thinking it was cobweb the first time, give it a few days and it'll be white and rocking your myco world.

Grover

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Offlinealuminum_can
addict
Re: honeywater question [Re: FungusFarmer]
    #407664 - 09/28/01 03:49 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

alright, heres what ive got planned. ill sterilize it like you said, and then i will poke a small hole with a, lets say, 1 inch piece of straw. cover it for a second untill i got the print ready, uncover it, scrape the spores into the straw and then take the straw out and put on saran wrap. the reason i cant use a syringe is that i dont have anymore!!!! when i go to my friends house i can get some since his dad is diabetic, but they are smaller. i have one question left, would you be able to let the mycohoneywater sit in the syringe for a few days before innoculating?

Mushroom Mycology Shop

--------------------

Offlineanima
dusty shelf
 User Gallery

Loc: WAY out there.
    #407682 - 09/28/01 04:13 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Your straw idea might work, just make sure that you clean the straw somehow (or get one that will stand up to sterilizing). As for the microwave, I have had limited success, I reccommend pressure cooking to sterilize.
I say keep those lids on tight. (rubber seal up so that they don't get all vaccumed shut during sterilization, and when you break the seal a rush of contam ridden air wooshes in there)
One more observation to note...I have seen jars innoculated with honey water that was multi-spore innoc'd just sit there (doing absolutly nothing) for a month then blam colonization began as normal... anyone else have this sort of thing happen to them??

I was here but now I'm not, I have gone to smoke some pot. Left this here to make a point, if you wanna get high all it takes is a joint

--------------------
It might be the early bird that gets the worm. But its the second mouse that gets the cheese

Offlinealuminum_can
addict
Re: honeywater question [Re: anima]
    #407692 - 09/28/01 04:23 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

i just made the honeywater a minute ago. it seems kinda dark, is that alright??? i decided to go with the microwave way since the pc is a pretty big hassle. ill prolly run across the street sometime today to get a straw from mc donalds. i have no clue how im going to get that jar over to my friends house though, we live pretty far away. how much of the honeywater will get colonized??

Mushroom Mycology Shop

--------------------

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

#407780 - 09/28/01 06:11 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Dark honey water can definitley limit growth, at least from what I've been told. I made water that was a little dark before, and it actually colonized faster although it didn't colonize as much in the end. If too much water boiled away as steam, then the solution can be too rich so you might have to redo it if you don't get any growth.

One jar didn't germinate after a week, so I added more spores. Two days later it was growing like a mofo. I'm not sure why that happens, honey water can be weird. Especially after you inject it and the mycelium is gray.

I've never had a problem with microwave sterilization, but that doesn't mean I had typical results.

After you get enough mycelium to cloud up a syringe full of honey water, you have enough. If you let it grow for a long time it can colonize most of the water, but then contam risk goes up. On the other hand, I've seen honey water jars that keep filling back up with mycelium every couple of weeks and have made two to three syringes when the water is finally all gone. I suppose that depends on how sterile you are, as eventually things can stall if you're not careful

Grover

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Offlinealuminum_can
addict
Re: honeywater question [Re: FungusFarmer]
    #407835 - 09/28/01 07:28 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

well, now theres all these little pieces of "dirt" in there. i guess there just pieces of stuff that was in the honey, so i innoculated anyways using the straw!! worked pretty good actually!!

Mushroom Mycology Shop

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract