Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

PF colonization, jar lids loose or tight?
    #3624466 - 01/13/05 05:23 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I've read all the teks, and get varying suggestions on this one. The original PF tek says to tighten lids after nocking, then store them for colonization. It then goes on later to say you need to strike a balance between loose and tight to regulate the moisture inside the jar so that water doesn't pool up on the bottom. What is it suggesting then? Start tight and loosen if needed? It's not too clear on this point, nor many others. Any tips on lid tightness when colonizing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGrasshopaWilkins
bitchwhat
 User Gallery

Re: PF colonization, jar lids loose or tight? [Re: Fungus_Farmer]
    #3624477 - 01/13/05 05:25 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

just screw the lids on theyll be fine. the only time ive had water pool in jars is if flipped the jars over while theyre colonizing.

--------------------
without love in a dream itll never come true.

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

#3624530 - 01/13/05 05:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

So what about CO2 and O2 exchange? Thought that was pretty critical. With lid tight and needle holes taped, there would be no exchange.

--------------------
Excerpt from one of my textbooks:
Therefore, between a then and its matching else, there cannot be an if statement without an else. Statements must be distinguished between those that are matched and those that are unmatched, where unmatched statements are else-less ifs and all other statements are matched.
I wonder if that would make more sense if I was tripping when I read it.

InvisibleDK1
Male
    #3624551 - 01/13/05 05:41 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

If you put a layer of dry vermiculite at the top of your cake then you should take the tape off the lid for CO2 and O2 exchange. The dry layer of vermiculite helps prevent contams from entering your cake.

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

#3624578 - 01/13/05 05:47 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, so keep the lids nice and tight, but take the tape off of the four needleholes and I should be fine?

--------------------
Therefore, between a then and its matching else, there cannot be an if statement without an else. Statements must be distinguished between those that are matched and those that are unmatched, where unmatched statements are else-less ifs and all other statements are matched.

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3624621 - 01/13/05 05:56 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yep, I put my lids on with the rubber side up and then screw the ring on just enough to hold the lid there. If you start to see stalled growth, try flipping your jars because CO2 is heavier and air and tends to settle at the bottom. GL and happy shrooming. :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

Re: PF colonization, jar lids loose or tight? [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3625370 - 01/13/05 08:14 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

How long would I leave them flipped if I needed to flip a few of them?

--------------------

OfflineGrasshopaWilkins
bitchwhat
 User Gallery

#3625386 - 01/13/05 08:18 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

honestly every time ive flipped cakes it seems to take longer for them to finish. you should only flip cakes as a last resort if theyre stalled.

--------------------
without love in a dream itll never come true.

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
Re: PF colonization, jar lids loose or tight? [Re: GrasshopaWilkins]
    #3625600 - 01/13/05 08:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I flip all of mine once they reach about 25% colonization and leave them that way until birthing. It's all just a matter of personal preference though.

--------------------

InvisibleDK1
Male
Re: PF colonization, jar lids loose or tight? [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3648433 - 01/19/05 01:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

If the bottom of your jar is stalling colinization and the rest of the cake is colonized flip your cake upside down for about 3 days. Make sure you maintain a constant temperature of 80 degrees fahrenheit. After your cake is fully colonized place in terrarium. Screwing the lid on with the rubber side facing upwards it is more of a tradition than a scienctific reason. Some believe that if you screw the lid on with the rubber side down then the lid will be too tight and no gas exchange will occur. However, since you poked holes in the top of your lids and you took the tape off, gas exchange can occur through the 2/3" dry layer of vermiculite at the top of the jar.

OfflineBugmenot2
Stranger
Re: PF colonization, jar lids loose or tight? [Re: DK1]
    #3652270 - 01/20/05 03:53 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

"Screwing the lid on with the rubber side facing upwards it is more of a tradition than a scienctific reason."

I dont agree. I think there is the very real risk of canning your substrate jars if the lid is on the "correct" way (as is its intended purpose). Assuming you didnt blow your tape out durring cooling, you would probably get a rush of outside air in the jar when the tape was pulled up for incoulation.

Edited by Bugmenot2 (01/20/05 03:55 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags