Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Help me help myself. (Looking for weight-lifting advice)
    #3584949 - 01/05/05 04:12 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hey all... I'm looking for some advice on weight lifting. For Christmas, I received a weight bench and weight set... now I just need to learn how to work these things. Haha.

Anyone here experienced enough in this area to help me work out a regimen of sorts?

I basically just want to strengthen EVERYTHING. I'm way too weak. Even my legs are pretty weak, due to not completing physical therapy after a bad accident I was in when I was fourteen.

So yeah.. the bench i got has a leg exercising extension thing, so that's available too.

I guess what I'm looking for is some help figuring out:

a. which exercises to do,
b. how many,
c. and how frequently.

So, who's knowledgeable about this stuff? Post here and we can chat about it. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: Help me help myself. (Looking for weight-lifting advice) [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3584995 - 01/05/05 04:18 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Oh, Also: I could use a link or two to useful websites that show how to do various exercises on a bench... this thing's got all these variable settings, and all I know how to do is work the leg part and do basic "push up" exercises with the bar. (Sorry, I don't know the technical names for any of the exercises I CAN do.. heh.)

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
Re: Help me help myself. (Looking for weight-lifting advice) [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3585186 - 01/05/05 04:52 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

honestly i would like to help you, but what you are asking is absurd

obviously it would take a decent amount of time on my part to create a complete work out plan for you and additionally, i know little about your current physical condition and availiable equipment

so all i can recommend to you is to get a trainer or join a gym, and to start the first 2 weeks or so quite light so you don't injure yourself since you probably haven't been using these muscles much or not very hard anyways

also what are you trying to achieve? lose weight? gain muscle mass? toning?

hah sorry to burst your bubble but work at it and you will know what you are doing pretty soon

keep at it and good luck

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: Help me help myself. (Looking for weight-lifting advice) [Re: holio1]
    #3585381 - 01/05/05 05:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Increased strength and muscle mass = goal.

Offlinepk3
Stranger
    #3585763 - 01/05/05 07:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I dont know where you live but most gyms usually offer a free week for people interested in joining. It would be very beneficial for you to try that before doing something on your own. If you have never worked out you could hurt yourself due to improper technique and all that.

If you still want to work out at home alone (without a spotter) remember to use weight that you can work with and not get yourself hurt. There are tons of weight programs on the internet. Google weightlifting for beginners and see what you can come up with.

But I would try the free gym thing first. And remember dont ever be embarrassed about asking questions in a gym. Most of the people there will be glad to help out someone new.

~pk

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #3589286 - 01/06/05 02:29 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

what was the nature of the injury?
for many serious injuies, you may need to consider a strength building plan that is lower impact on the afftcted joint[s]/muscle group[s].

i can try to find some general imformation for you since i have a limited amount of weight training experience, but in the end, you will want to find a plan that works for you and or get the advice of a professional.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Help me help myself. (Looking for weight-lifting advice) [Re: canid]
    #3589635 - 01/06/05 04:11 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Deadlift, squat, bench, military, rows. Do them heavy and low reps.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Edited by looner2 (01/06/05 04:11 PM)

Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Loc: the wood
Re: Help me help myself. (Looking for weight-lifting advice) [Re: looner2]
    #3590401 - 01/06/05 06:56 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:
Deadlift, squat, bench, military, rows. Do them heavy and low reps.

True story. Also www.hardgainer.com

Stuart McRobert's book Beyond Brawn is excellent. It detail's Looner's advice. which is spot on.

--------------------

Anonymous #1

Re: Help me help myself. (Looking for weight-lifting advice) [Re: nonoman]
    #3592155 - 01/07/05 02:00 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Deadlift, squat, bench, military press, rows. Do them heavy and low reps.

Exactly. Also, I can't stress how helpful "isometric" type stretches, before and after your workout, and between sets are.

As far as diet: Lots of protein. At least one gram of protein for every pound you wiegh. If you weigh 150lbs then you need to get at least 150 grams of protein EVERYDAY. Also, lots and lots of calories. (I'm assuming you're an "ectomorph" here, correct me if wrong). I think an ounce of milk contains a gram of protein, could be wrong though. Look up foods that are high in protein. You may also want to get some "whey protein".

When you get everything all worked out and figure out your training plan, it's most likely gonna be a bitch, a real bitch. But fuck that shit, grind on through it and eventually you'll like that shit. And you'll be sexy for all the bitches by the time this spring comes. The End.

Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Re: Help me help myself. (Looking for weight-lifting advice) [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #3592409 - 01/07/05 03:27 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

paradis said:
Quote:

As far as diet: Lots of protein. At least one gram of protein for every pound you wiegh. If you weigh 150lbs then you need to get at least 150 grams of protein EVERYDAY. Also, lots and lots of calories. (I'm assuming you're an "ectomorph" here, correct me if wrong). I think an ounce of milk contains a gram of protein, could be wrong though. Look up foods that are high in protein. You may also want to get some "whey protein".

Good advice. I've also read that the 1st 30 minutes or hour after working out is your body's optimum time to soak up protein.

--------------------

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Help me help myself. (Looking for weight-lifting advice) [Re: nonoman]
    #3592680 - 01/07/05 06:15 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You could look into buying a good book that designates good exercises. I have the Gold's Gym Workout Book (or whatever its name is). It was written around two decades ago and it gives me insight on exercises to try and such.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Offlinehpnotiq
Stranger
Re: Help me help myself. (Looking for weight-lifting advice) [Re: Society]
    #3592885 - 01/07/05 08:24 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I can help you if you want... I recommend joining the anabolex.com message board which is my fav. message board out of the many i have joined. I also recommend getting a spotter til you get used to exercising. At the beginning people's muscles usually are too weak for even exercise or are not used to lifting so they tremble and the weights might hit you right in the face.... Let us know how much you weigh, how tall you are, and how many lbs of weights you have...etc..

Anonymous #1

#3593128 - 01/07/05 10:04 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Looner has the right idea as far as exercises go. Just do only the basic compound exercies that he listed. There's really no need for any isolation exercises when first starting out. The first few weeks you'll gain muscle fast as long as you eat enough.

Also, if you're still looking for a routine WannaBeBig has good weekly routines.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: Help me help myself. (Looking for weight-lifting advice) [Re: ]
    #3593212 - 01/07/05 10:29 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks to everyone for what they have contributed... I will attempt to figure out a good plan based on what you've all advised.

Offlinepk3
Stranger
    #3593257 - 01/07/05 10:45 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

My wife is glad I dont drink protein shakes anymore.  They always gave me terrible gas.  :smile:  Good luck with everything.  Oh, and I always used a journal when I work out.  Take down the amount of reps and weight you use for each set so you can keep track of your progress.  Same with measurements of your arms, chest and what not before you begin so you can see your results.  Well dont take your measurements every time but I took mine about once a month. And I think most important make sure you have good form so you dont hurt yourself.

~pk

OfflineyesNick
kitchy

Loc: Communist China
Re: Help me help myself. (Looking for weight-lifting advice) [Re: pk3]
    #3594642 - 01/07/05 04:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hey man, I hope you read this post.

I always wanted to lift weights and gain muscle, but I never knew quite how to do it right, and I could never find a guide that incorporated everything I needed to know in one place. I never knew if I was doing it right. First, your diet is very important if you want to gain muscle. Just to get that outta the way.

Anyway, I went to this site, http://www.musclegaintips.com and ordered this program for $79.95 (p.s. this is not a plug just my story). I started this program 3 weeks ago and I've gained 12 pounds already, from 148 to 160. Now that's pretty good if you ask me. When I used to try and lift before I had no idea about diet and free weights and I would never gain. This program gives you a book that outlines the science behind building muscle. Because it really is a science. If you do A and B then you will inevitably arrive at C. If you diet right and train properly and do the other little stuff you will gain. The program has everything you need to really get educated about how to go about sculpting your body. If you don't have any extra cash, you could just sign up for the email newsletters. Most of the core knowledge of the program is in the newsletters.

Of course, I sure there are other books and programs out there, just find something that works and stick to it.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Edited by yesNick (01/07/05 04:44 PM)

Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Re: Help me help myself. (Looking for weight-lifting advice) [Re: ]
    #3595013 - 01/07/05 06:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Max Headroom said:
There's really no need for any isolation exercises when first starting out.

This is some of the most valuable advice you will receive.

--------------------

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #3605545 - 01/09/05 09:25 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If you are going to do deadlifts be SURE to warm up properly. I mean it! You will fuck up your back if you dont.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

InvisibleLoosifa
none
 User Gallery

Loc: England (South) Flag
Re: Help me help myself. (Looking for weight-lifting advice) [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #3606757 - 01/10/05 04:37 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Join a gym. They'll show you properly, and you can take it home with you.
Everyone else has said the protein thing. Start slow, build up gradually.
I do gym. It's great. I love it. I do CV stuff rather than weights though.

--------------------
LURK

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Help me help myself. (Looking for weight-lifting advice) [Re: Loosifa]
    #3608690 - 01/10/05 04:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Whenever someone starts lifting weights they either take two paths

1.) the bodybuilding path of just "looking" good.

2.) the strength path towards power and functionality.

They are radically different. A bodybuilder wants pumped up muscles that look like they've been stitched together, perfect proportions and size. They opt towards "sarcoplasmic hypertrophy", which is increase of fluids and non-contractile proteins that are not related to muscular force.

Whereas a strength program increases myofibrillar hypertrophy, which is the increase in size and density of the actual sarcomeres inside the cell. This is directly related to muscular force and the ability to "turn-on" explosive strength.

The strength path is towards sheer power and intermuscular coordination, which is much more applicable to real-life situations.
The build of someone who wants strength will gain size and mass too, but it will be through compound exercises with HIGH WEIGHT and low reps. The muscles are working in conjuction with eachother and hence have a higher degree of nervous system integration.

I would encourage everyone to choose the path of strength. Along with goals of strength and power, you will gain an impressive physique, but it will be a more natural one, that might not be completely symmetrical, but it IS functional.

I can't tell you how many people I see at the gym not squatting, deadlifting, military pressing...etc. They are only concerned with bench, curls, and whatever isolation movement they can acheive. The vanity associated with this training is quite pathetic in my opinion and 78% gay.

So when you begin your research, take the advice of powerlifters and strength athletes, not the frat-house bicep kings.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom