Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineWolfe3001
journeyman

Loc: Calgary
Should I lift weights while trying to lose weight?
    #3273610 - 10/25/04 12:57 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I understand that if I'm trying to keep my body in calory deficiet it will be harder to build muscle.

But will regular weightlifting have any overtly negative affects?

--------------------
They are in love. Fuck the War.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Should I lift weights while trying to lose weight? [Re: Wolfe3001]
    #3273626 - 10/25/04 01:02 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Muscle burns calories and shit. If you have more muscle you should lose more fat. Something like that. You may not notice it, depending how much you do, or you might gain weight but muscle weighs more then fat.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Where Art Meets Crime
    #3273641 - 10/25/04 01:06 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

muscles that are in shape or workout out or whatever you call it burn calories more effeciently than muscles that are out of shape...

do it, it will help you lose weight faster

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

OfflineWolfe3001
journeyman

Re: Should I lift weights while trying to lose weight? [Re: Tasty_Smurf_House]
    #3273643 - 10/25/04 01:07 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well I know that muscle burns more calories than fat, and that's why I asked.

And just look around, how often do you see people who lose fat without lifting weights? (Except by straving themselves and then putting it right back on)

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #3273644 - 10/25/04 01:07 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Eat a resonable amount of calories or you will lose muscle mass as well as fat. The key to losing weight is doing both cardio excercises and strength training. Muscle will help you lose fat in the long run. Don't gauge your progress on how much you weigh. The key is reducing fat but building muscle. If you want to monitor your progress weight is the wrong way to go. When I first started working out I gained 20 pounds in three months, but I went from being a size 40 to being a size 36. If you just lose weight it is easy to put it back on, but if you build muscle as well then it is much easier to keep it off. So what I am basically saying is don't cut back too much on calories, but instead concentrate on buring them and building muscle. Balance your diet and don't just reduce it.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineMushBus
CURVEBALL MASTER

Re: Should I lift weights while trying to lose weight? [Re: z@z.com]
    #3274594 - 10/25/04 10:23 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

its all about getting the right amount of cals from the right foods.

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park

Re: Should I lift weights while trying to lose weight? [Re: MushBus]
    #3274888 - 10/25/04 12:36 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Muscle contains mitochondria ( a furnace for calories basically). The more muscle you pack on the more you will burn. I'm a certified weight trainer because they made me take all the courses to work at a gym. Take my brother for example, I put him on a program that would be really easy to follow and wouldn't affect his diet. He started August 2003 at 262 pounds and most of it fat. He did only weights and bit of cardio for the first six months and now he only does the weights. He is 216 pounds now, and probably about 14 of those pounds are new muscle so he's actually lost about 60 pounds of fat. Didn't do anything to his diet other than tell him to have a prtoein shake if for some reason he misses dinner which is rare.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Offlinedruqks46
its dat woowoo
Loc: trees
Re: Should I lift weights while trying to lose weight? [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #3274916 - 10/25/04 12:49 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Weightlifting is very much essential to losing weight. As you lose weight, a little muscle may be be lost, but even more will be lost if you dont maintain what you already have. It is entirely impossible to put on much muscle mass while losing weight. A nice cut to lower the body fat percentage while lifting weights is ideal if you are overweight.

Look into a weight lifting split. The current one i use is
Monday- chest and tris.
Tuesday- cardio for 30 mins.
Weds.- Legs, shoulders and traps.
Thurs- 30 mins. cardio
Fri- back and bis.
Saturday- 30 mins. cardio
Sunday- Rest

This is to lose a little bit of weight and maintain the muscle i already have.

Make sure you eat clean and your calorie intake is where it should be. Say, 3500 calories for bulk or 2000 calories to lose weight.

Offlineqzaitz
Stranger
Re: Should I lift weights while trying to lose weight? [Re: druqks46]
    #3275244 - 10/25/04 02:42 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If you realy want to loose weight, and i mean noticing it within 2 days, just watch what you eat. Just drink water, and milk. No other canned juices or other sugar filled drinks...no pop, no chipc, no chocolate... Read labels on the food u want to eat, that has low fat, lower carbs, low sugar...and every morning when you wake up, exercise weather its weights, or just pushups and situps, because doing it in the morning starts your metabolism up faster and you body is already burning calories at a fast rate...also remember not to eat large quantities of food to make your self feel bloated...just eat enough so you feel a little hungry, but never fill that empty spot...worked for me

InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Loc: UK
Re: Should I lift weights while trying to lose weight? [Re: qzaitz]
    #3276288 - 10/25/04 07:33 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, i wonder if anyone can help me while on the subject of weight lifting, I occasionally mostly once a week/twice a week/ or once every two weeks,go to the gym I also work out most nights, working on my triceps,biceps etc. i know about over training etc but i don't. i used to do alot but not enough to over train my muscles they rarely ache and i don't life weights a day after a heavy work out, but all in all i do life alot of weight, i try to keep my muscles active an stimulated, i work them hard while at gym and at home, my diets isn't too bad, i haven't changed My diet of anything, i do not want big bulging biceps all I ant is a toned and slighly dignified body, i had been working at it for about 7 months now with not much improvement i see my arms are little more powerful an when flexed they look kinda Strong/big but as soon as i lower my arm back down its just untoned and stuff, i don't know what the problem is, i know protein is a key but i shouldn't fink it shud stop you looking toned an i have try ed supplements such as protein shakes and creatine with little difference, i am determined to keep at it though, its like my muscles just don't want to look tight they just sag, at night my muscles tend to tighten an i look more toned but i don't see what the problem is, can anyone relate or point me in the right direction?

Offlinethelox
Re: Should I lift weights while trying to lose weight? [Re: Mushie_Man]
    #3276423 - 10/25/04 08:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

visit www.bodybuilding.com there is so much great info there on nutrition/weight lifting etc.

Offlineqzaitz
Stranger
Re: Should I lift weights while trying to lose weight? [Re: thelox]
    #3277148 - 10/25/04 11:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

read my post i posted before yours...I wanted a toned body and i did that and it worked...no weights, just situps pushups and tricept workouts...lifting hand weights is also very good

OfflineWolfe3001
journeyman

#3277902 - 10/26/04 03:10 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

sir tripsalot said:
Muscle contains mitochondria ( a furnace for calories basically). The more muscle you pack on the more you will burn. I'm a certified weight trainer because they made me take all the courses to work at a gym. Take my brother for example, I put him on a program that would be really easy to follow and wouldn't affect his diet. He started August 2003 at 262 pounds and most of it fat. He did only weights and bit of cardio for the first six months and now he only does the weights. He is 216 pounds now, and probably about 14 of those pounds are new muscle so he's actually lost about 60 pounds of fat. Didn't do anything to his diet other than tell him to have a prtoein shake if for some reason he misses dinner which is rare.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the gist of said program?

--------------------

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3280774 - 10/26/04 08:07 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

muscles burn calories and fat while you are stagnent also. having a muscular frame also increases your metabolism. these things both have a positive effect on losing weight.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineWolfe3001
journeyman

Re: Should I lift weights while trying to lose weight? [Re: TODAY]
    #3281829 - 10/26/04 11:21 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

So, I'm getting a yes.

Also, int hat case, what kind of calorie intake would be apporpriate?

--------------------

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

#3282332 - 10/27/04 01:36 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

don't measure caloric intake, just eat your usual meals but don't include a side of twinkies and a glass of soda (jokingly, but also seriously). if you want to lose weight make sure that you eat well portioned meals, but make sure those portions include fruits, veggies, and ample protein. try to cut down on the fatty things like beef (substitute w/ ground turkey). beef hot dogs can be nixed by getting turkey/chicken franks...there are lots of corners to cut. just be smart and stay dedicated and you should see your goals in time.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

#3282340 - 10/27/04 01:38 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I had him working out 3 days a week to start for the first 6 months till he felt ready and committed enough to increase. The gains were slow and steady throughout the year.

He did about an hour of weights each workout covering each muscle once a week(legs, chest, back,shoulders and arms). So that's two muslces a day. He was new to weightlifting so I had him do everything on machines until he got some base strength for using free weights. After the weights he would do about 15-25 minutes of whatever cardio he enjoyed most.

*BEST advice I can give is there is no "best routine". The best routine is one that covers each muscle to prevent imbalance and is enjoyable. All routines are shit if not done with consistency. ALL results gained will disppear fast if you quit. So pick an enjoyable routine and don't sweat the small stuff, I see to many people hung up on little things they've been told. 90% of a workout is dragging your ass to the gym.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

#3283951 - 10/27/04 01:21 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

sir tripsalot said:
90% of a workout is dragging your ass to the gym.

i can't agree more. the hardest time i have involved w/ my workout is telling myself to get stretched up and ready to go to the gym.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#3284975 - 10/27/04 05:10 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

90% of a workout is dragging your ass to the gym.

Then you do some pathetic workouts.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

Re: Should I lift weights while trying to lose weight? [Re: looner2]
    #3287383 - 10/28/04 12:23 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm trying to give some helpful advice to people new to working out. I workout, I enjoy it and I have made the gains and gotten the results I have set for myself. Don't much care what you think or want to hear about your lame martial arts.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being