Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
My workout routine
    #3717547 - 02/02/05 05:21 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

I've been working out at the gym every day for a month, and while I'm seeing some results, I'd like to know if I'm doing anything wrong, or what I can do to achieve desired results. I'm kind of a scrawny guy, and although I'm building some muscle tone, I'd like to beef up a little bit. I usually start with a 10-minute warmup on the treadmill, then go to the Nautilus machines. I focus mainly on the upper body, particularly biceps, triceps, abs, pecs, and back muscles, since I figure the treadmill and stairmaster take care of enough legwork for me to be satisfied, though I also work on the glutes and hip area. I usually start out with a certain weight, usually about 70-90 lbs., do 15-30 reps(depending on the machine), then bring the weight down a notch and repeat until it's too light to worry about doing any more. Then I do 30 mins. on the stairmaster. Is this a good system? Should I be eating certain foods in order to beef up?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery
Loc: Australia brah
Re: My workout routine [Re: Silversoul]
    #3717810 - 02/02/05 06:31 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

If you want to tone thats good. But if you want to build then i wouldnt follow the plan your doing.

"I usually start out with a certain weight, usually about 70-90 lbs., do 15-30 reps(depending on the machine), then bring the weight down a notch and repeat until it's too light to worry about doing any more."

Thats helpful if you want to tone, but if you want to build you have to, in a sense do the opposite. To build i would start with 70lbs (or whatever you can do) and do say 30 reps, then 80 lbs (20 reps) then 90 lbs (10 reps) and so on until you can do no more. This is how you build muscle. Less reps, heavier weights. So if you were to say, work your Pecs, you would do the same, say 30lbs (30 reps) 40-45lbs (20 reps) and so on.

Thats what you have to do to build....

Hope it helps

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: My workout routine [Re: DepthToTheCore]
    #3718354 - 02/02/05 11:30 AM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Working out every day is counter-productive. Your muscles need rest to grow, and you need to provide them with food in order for this to happen. Not a little bit of food, A LOT of food. Other than than, you rep range is ridiculous, not working legs is bad, and it seems nothing i s structured. I will provide a template for you, because i'm nice.

Monday:

Bench 5x5
Squat 5x5
Military press 3x8
Dips 3x8
Incline sit-ups 3xhowmanyyoucando

Thursday:

Deadlift 5x3
Pull-ups 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5
Leg raises 3x20

There you go. Look up the exercises in google to see how to do them. No curls, no isolation exercies. Build a strong foundation with the above exercises.

If you wnat information on nutrition, go to www.johnberardi.com and read his nutrition articles, specifically, Massive Eating 1, 2,and 3. He is the top nutritionist in the world for athletes. Nutrition is half the battle.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #3718784 - 02/02/05 01:36 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

As Looner2 pointed out working out every day can be bad. If you are going to work out every day, do different muscle groups on alternating days. If you want to concentrate on strength, high weights and low reps (around 6 to 8 reps) are in order. To bulk up you should perform about 10 to 12 reps per set. Bodybuilders concentrate on bulk and can be bigger than power lifters, but they do not have the same strength. For toning and endurance go with an even higher number of reps, but you won't get much bulk.

Years ago when I started a work out regime I began with calisthenics and aerobic activity (running, jumping rope and a rowing machine). My logic was to first get the transport mechanism for nutrients and oxygen in top shape. After I went as about as far as I could with aerobics (I think about 6 to 12 months) I started weight training. In the initial phase I bulked up, till I reached a comfortable size. After that I switched my weight training to concentrate on strength, increasing the weight and decreasing the reps. I should add that I continued with the aerobic activity of alternating days of running and jumping rope.

Oh, for weight training I always used dumbells when possible. Though you won't be able to lift as much, you get a benefit of not being able to favor one side of your body over another and you help to train the small muscles necessary for balancing the weights better than you could with a machine or even barbells.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Edited by Prosgeopax (02/02/05 01:43 PM)

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: My workout routine [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #3719021 - 02/02/05 02:46 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

I'm really not sure how to work out properly.

For the last couple months, I've been doing a fair amount of pushups everyday.

I'd basically do them to the point of not being able to do another one, my arms were just dead. I was doing this numerous times a day too, I'm guessing that's probably bad.

Anyways, I've been noticing I haven't been getting stronger lately.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Re: My workout routine [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #3719064 - 02/02/05 02:59 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

Try changing the position of your hands - experiment. I do push-ups on my fists, sometimes placing the hands wide then other times putting them close together. You can also get push up bars that will extend your range of motion. Additionally, put your feet up on the seat of a chair or on a fireplace, a box, etc., this will increase the weight you are lifting and change the angle at which your muscles work.

--------------------

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisibleBoom
Supervisor
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cypress Creek
Re: My workout routine [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #3719330 - 02/02/05 03:56 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

What about aerobic workouts?  Should jogging not be done everyday ?  :crazy:

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Re: My workout routine [Re: Boom]
    #3719381 - 02/02/05 04:09 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

I wouldn't do any single workout every day (except brisk weight load walking), I always give my muscles a chance to recuperate. Of course there are many people who do things differently. When I first started running I tried doing it every day and suffered from shin splints, after that I started to alternate my aerobic workouts (run, jump rope, row) and would always take one whole day off each week from any exercise. I also think that there is no universal work out program that is for everyone. Every person's body and mental outlook is different - I could never tolerate an aerobics class (for instance) but other people love them.

--------------------

- Tom Willhite

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Ca...
    #3750118 - 02/08/05 09:46 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

My advice (not that I'm an expert)

1) I'd get away from the machines and do freeweights. They encourage better form, and you can have some at home.

2)Don't lift weights every day. Every other day at most. It's good that you have the time and discipline to work out every day, but it becomes counterproductive at that point.

3)Don't do that many reps all the time. I like to switch between heavy and light days. Heavy days I generally use a weight heavy enough that I can only do 5-8 reps per set, light days I use a weight I can do 15-20 times per set. I do three sets per exercise, always.

4)Do full-body exercises rather than isolation exercises. Somebody mentioned that. Deadlifts, squats and chinups rather than curls and extentions.

5)You have do legs with weights. Don't count on a treadmill to take care of that. Start with dumbell squats.

Like I said, it's cool that you are able to work out regularly, but you'll experience better results with a few adjustments. Good luck, man.

And the biggest mistake I see is people doing reps too fast. Concentrate on your form, and take two seconds to raise the weight and two seconds to lower it. People rarely do 30 reps of anything with good form.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and to get bigger you need quite a bit of protein. Shoot for 0.75 to 1 gram per pound of your weight, per day. That's a lot. Eat tuna amd cottage cheese. And don't bother with supplements.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Edited by CyberChump (02/08/05 09:50 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being