Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Best sleeping position + Need advice for falling asleep
    #3993529 - 03/31/05 03:25 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

What is the best way to sleep? I don't mean what's most comfortable position. I mean what is best for your body?

I sleep on my sides the most, stomach second, and back last. I'm trying to sleep on my back more because I think it would be the best for my body. I figure that it doesn't cut off circulation in any way and it's better for my back (spine). It's hard for me to sleep on my back, though. I've spent hours trying to fall asleep on my back. I usually end up turning over and sleeping on my sides. I don't know why, but sleeping on my sides is much more comfortable - even if it means cutting off circulation to my arm. It's really hard to get comfortable and drift off on my back.

Am I correct in assuming that sleeping on my back is the best way to sleep (for my body)? If so, do you have any suggestions about how I can fall asleep in that position?

Also, how do I know if my spine is in perfect alignment? What kind of pillow setup should I have to make sure that my spine is in the right position?

Now I have a general question about falling asleep. Should I let my mind wander when trying to go to sleep? It seems like this always worked before. I would get lost in some fantasy (usually sexual in nature :smile:) and drift off to sleep. Now it seems like I just sit there thinking about shit for hours and I only fall asleep when I'm so tired that I can't help but fall asleep. I've tried clearing my mind and focusing on my breathing sometimes. I can't really say if it would help to fall asleep, though, because at some point I usually give up and start thinking again.

And another question. Do you guys see stuff when you close your eyes? For me, it's not pitch black when I close my eyes. I don't know if it ever was this way, but it seems like I see alot more stuff since I started taking drugs. There are blobs that morph around when I shut my eyes. I try to not focus on them and just fall asleep, but I can't help but take notice. The blobs are moving around, morphing, and all this different stuff. I hate it! I wish it could just be black when I shut my eyes. On a night where I've smoked weed, this problem only gets worse. The blobs start turning into fractal patterns, spinning around, morphing into worm holes and other crazy stuff, etc. It's entertaining for about a minute, but after that I just want to go to sleep and stop taking notice of that crap.

It seems like that happens most when I'm sleeping on my back. When I'm on my side I can just curl up, feel comfortable, and get lost in a fantasy. On my back, it seems like my brain is still on working mode. I think about shit just like I was fully awake and I'm aware of my position alot more than when I'm on my side.

Any advice is appreciated.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesignoffate
Only Human
Loc: Where is here?
Re: Best sleeping position + Need advice for falling asleep [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #3994870 - 03/31/05 01:01 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I find sleeping on my back hard to do all night, more than likely I will wake up on my side... let your body decide for you, i think taht would be bast.

I think about my day before I sleep, recite all the shit that went on, look for things I may have forgoten, and try and drop any anxiety about what I should do when I wake up. I hate thinking about not thinking, I think you should not think about thinking.

Whatever method you use, keep asking youself if your still awake.

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: Best sleeping position + Need advice for falling asleep [Re: signoffate]
    #3997184 - 03/31/05 09:25 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ho man, sleeping on your stomach seem like it has got to be the worst. For one, it seems like it would be too good for a nocturnal erection. Second, I woke up this morning on my stomach with ZERO CIRCULATION IN MY ARMS. It was incredibly creepy because I felt as if I had no arms. I could not move them, and I needed to roll over. I had to rock my body like a ship in a violent storm to roll over. It was about 3 minutes before I could move my fingers; that's creepy, yeah?

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflinePoopShooter
Escape Artist

Loc: PNW
Re: Best sleeping position + Need advice for falling asleep [Re: Society]
    #3997448 - 03/31/05 10:08 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Sleeping on your stomach is also bad for your neck. So, if you enjoy moving your head, don't do it. Sleeping on your back is probably the most healthy, but it isn't always the most comfortable. I usually sleep on my side, and that treats me alright.

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: Best sleeping position + Need advice for falling asleep [Re: PoopShooter]
    #3997586 - 03/31/05 10:36 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I dont even think you are supposed to sleep with a pillow since your neck is propped up and spine bent.  There are theraputic sweedish pillows made to put inbetween your legs to alingn your spine when you sleep on your side but I always just use a cushion or my blankies or a girl. :smile:  Whatever Im thinkin about before I drift off into a sleep in never what I end up dreaming for some reason.  I can be thinkin good things then have a scary dream---cant do anything about that.  I do see stuff when I close my eyes and have been since I was a little boy.  Never very vivid but just colorful lucid dark silouettes of objects moving around and stuff.  Nothing to do with drugs--just your imagination, molst people would percieve it as pitch black but my eyelids can turn into a moviescreen at will.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Best sleeping position + Need advice for falling asleep [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #3997852 - 03/31/05 11:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Sleeping on your stomach is not good because you are not breathing fully since you have to lift the weight of your body just to fill your lungs. For overweight people it is especially bad.

Sleeping on your back is the best position, but most people will find the desire to sleep on their sides overwhelming at some point. During the night we change sleep positions frequently. The body knows what it needs and will move itself for comfort.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflinePoopShooter
Escape Artist

Loc: PNW
Re: Best sleeping position + Need advice for falling asleep [Re: Jellric]
    #3997930 - 04/01/05 12:14 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The problem with that is that my body seems to think I need to sleep on my stomach. Nearly every night I have to wake up and shift myself because I wake up on my stomach. Keep in mind, this is only the first week since I've been trying to break the habit. It's taken some will-power to get over that, and my quality of sleep has definately suffered the past few night, and the realigning of my neck isn't the most comfortable thing, but I suppose a bit of discomfort now outweighs years of chronic back pain in the future

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: Best sleeping position + Need advice for falling asleep [Re: Society]
    #4002264 - 04/01/05 10:03 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SocietyRejects said:
Ho man, sleeping on your stomach seem like it has got to be the worst. For one, it seems like it would be too good for a nocturnal erection.

that's why you tuck it. still...it is rather annoying/uncomfortable.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Best sleeping position + Need advice for falling asleep [Re: TODAY]
    #4003071 - 04/02/05 12:59 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

luckily i have been sleeping on my back for quite some time and find it very comfortable, as a matter of fact its the only comfortable position for me. and yes that IS a weird feeling waking up without ANY circulation in both your arms.. happened to me as well. i woke up and jumped out of bed, its funny now that i think about it, i could move my torso back and forth and my dead arms would just swing back and forth with it. this was before i started sleeping on my back though.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Offlinebutterflydawn
lucid dreamer
 User Gallery

Loc: lost at sea
Re: Best sleeping position + Need advice for falling asleep [Re: SuperD]
    #4007514 - 04/03/05 03:56 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

sleeping on your back without a pillow

--------------------
lucidal expansion

Offlinebutterflydawn
lucid dreamer
 User Gallery

Loc: lost at sea
Re: Best sleeping position + Need advice for falling asleep [Re: SuperD]
    #4007516 - 04/03/05 03:56 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

hard surface is also a must

Offlinekanchha
Stranger
Re: Best sleeping position + Need advice for falling asleep [Re: signoffate]
    #15776793 - 02/08/12 12:44 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Best sleeping position is a position where your entire body and soul sleep. Tomorrow you have to go for a lot of tension ( physically, mentally ). so sleeping is as necessary as food .
<a href=“http://www.howtofallasleepfastt.com/best-natural-ways-to-fall-asleep/”>best ways to fall asleep</a>

Offlinekanchha
Stranger
Re: Best sleeping position + Need advice for falling asleep [Re: kanchha]
    #15776804 - 02/08/12 12:46 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Best sleeping position is a position where your entire body and soul sleep. Tomorrow you have to go for a lot of tension ( physically, mentally ). so sleeping is as necessary as food .
best ways to fall asleep

Offlinekanchha
Stranger
Re: Best sleeping position + Need advice for falling asleep [Re: kanchha]
    #15776812 - 02/08/12 12:48 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

[url= http://www.howtofallasleepfastt.com/best-natural-ways-to-fall-asleep/]best ways to fall asleep[/url]

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being