Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hemp

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinecompman
Stranger
Need to Gain Weight
    #3718003 - 02/02/05 08:25 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Over the last 4 months I've lost about 10 pounds, which isn't good considering I only weighed 145 pounds. I recently quit smoking ciggs and pot and gave up all junk food. So I have almost everything in order besides a good workout routine. Can anyone recommend a hardcore routine I can do that will help me gain AS MUCH weight as possible? thanks guys.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: Need to Gain Weight [Re: compman]
    #3720407 - 02/02/05 08:10 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

How tall are you?

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #3723283 - 02/03/05 04:24 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

anything taht will make ou gain as much weight as possible is not healthy.

you want to eat a balanced diet, including a healthy amount of fatty foods, and make sure your caloric intake is consistent with your bodie's needs.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: Need to Gain Weight [Re: canid]
    #3723607 - 02/03/05 08:11 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Eat healthy fats rather than human-processed fats.

Omega 3s from hemp, flax, certain types of fish (like Tuna), or in a supplement.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Offlinemushiemountain
i am the sacredone
Re: Need to Gain Weight [Re: Society]
    #3725406 - 02/03/05 06:19 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i also need to gain weight. i am only 113 lbs and 5'7. what exercises and foods shall i partake in to gain weight (as fast as i can)?

--------------------
I Ain't No Fool. Mama Didn't Raise No Fool.
----------primussucks

OfflineGus
Back in town.

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Re: Need to Gain Weight [Re: mushiemountain]
    #3725575 - 02/03/05 06:48 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Dont take my words for it but Im pretty sure this list is some of the best food to gain weigh

Chicken
fish
white cheese
bread
eggs

Be sure to eat a lot of protein max 1 hour after your training and try to push real hard on your training sessions, you must exaust those muscles :smile:
Eating and sleeping is supposed to be 70% of the weigh gaining compared to 30% for the workout. Eat healthy, sleep 8-10 hours the night after you trained.

At first you can gain something like 1-2 lbs/week but after a while itll be less. Except if youre into steroids...

OfflineTwister
Lucrative
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Need to Gain Weight [Re: Gus]
    #3727951 - 02/04/05 12:51 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Just find out what exercise work the part of your body that you would like the mass to go to. You should be able to find this easily on the net somewhere. Use as much weight as you can use and still be able to do 8-12 reps before you can't do anymore. Do at least 3 sets for each of these exercises. Make sure to only workout a particular muscle group AT MOST once every 2 days. Make sure to get a good nights sleep.
Along the lines of eating just do what others have said. High protein, unprocessed foods are best. Step up your caloric intake as much as possible and try to eat about an hour before and after each workout period. I would reccomend getting some protein supplements and at sporting goods stores they have milkshake stuff that has 900 calories per serving and actually tastes really good. It is also good to eat 6 smaller meals spaced out through the day then to eat the 3 normal meals.
Creatine helps to replenish the muscle between sets and can help you gain mass because you can do more reps each workout.
Just make sure you don't overdo the working out because it can severely damage muscles as well as be counterproductive in some cases.
Working out 3 times a week and eating tons of good, high calorie food i was able to gain about 25 pounds in 3 months. And that was a real feat for me. I'm about 6'4 and i started at about 150, so i was really skinny but i had some muscle and an fairly athletic build for such a skinny guy. Anyways i gained the weight and got to about 175 and even though i'm still skinny i would say i have a pretty good body these days. I have lost a few pounds, maybe ten, due to much weed smoking and laziness regarding working out. I also stopped eating as many calories. But if you stick to a good regiment you should be able to put on weight relatively easily and keep the pounds on.

Offlinebjjrevol
Jiujitsuka

Loc: AZ
    #3747196 - 02/07/05 09:02 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like I'm in almost exactly the same boat as you, man. I'm about 5'10", and now weigh around 145-8. I started college about three and a half years ago, at around 130 pounds, not working out at all. Since then, I've tried many different routines. I gained about 5 pounds in a brief stint in the army, but the best workout I've gotten, with the most sustained and substantial gain in mass and overall strength has come since I started practicing brazillian jiujitsu. I train five to six days a week, for an hour and a half, with at least half an hour, and usually 40 to 50 minutes spent rolling (that is, randori, the grappling equivalent of sparring, with close to full speed and strength.)
I have recently begun supplementing with whey protein and creatine, and have noticed a modest gain. Overall though, I think jiujitsu practice, as long as your school makes it sufficiently intense, is a great workout for guys our size. When you're grappling a much larger opponent, as most will tend to be, you're placing your entire body under sustained tension for several minutes at a time, equivalent to a lift using multiple muscle groups such as a squat or deadlift, but with the advantage of building more functional strength, since it's outside the track you build for yourself lifting. PM me if you have any specific questions, but I completely recommend bjj or some other form of grappling.

--------------------
"If God wanted people to die with dignity, He wouldn't have created modern medical technology capable of artificially prolonging life." - The Onion

"What is best in life? To crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laugh at the weeping of their women."
- Conan the Barbarian

OfflineCPT_InSaNo
Just anotherfreak in thefreak kingdom

Re: Need to Gain Weight [Re: bjjrevol]
    #3747281 - 02/07/05 09:19 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

you need loads of protein and a hardcore workout routine if you want to gain weight (muscle). i suggest looking up weight lifting programs and diets.

if you just want to get fat, sit on the couch and eat nutter butters all day.

--------------------
"We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been. Spiral out. Keep going, going..."
Tool, Lateralus

Anything in my above post is 100% fictional.

R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Re: Need to Gain Weight [Re: CPT_InSaNo]
    #3748844 - 02/08/05 01:31 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

If you want to gain muscle, calculate your weight in kilograms (divide pounds by 2.2), and then multiply by 1.5. That is your target protein intake for the day. Also, eat plenty of calories. 2800+ for someone your size. I hate to be discouraging, but for small people, it is usually harder to gain muscle mass. Keep at it though, and you'll see a weight gain of probably 0.2-0.5 pounds of muscle per week if you workout enough.

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Need to Gain Weight [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #3753755 - 02/09/05 01:00 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i managed to climb from 130 to almost 160 in highschool. this supprised the hel out of me. i am very small boned and have a high resting metabolic rate.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinejarby
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3753977 - 02/09/05 01:41 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

for me its hopeless, I don't eat nearly enough and have no time for a bloody workout routine, nor the encouragement cos I'm hopelessly depressed. my arms are like freakin' sticks, I'm a walking skeleton, fucking sucks. I'd almost rather be fat.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Need to Gain Weight [Re: jarby]
    #3754134 - 02/09/05 02:16 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i am that way now. i still retaine a good amount of upper bodystrength and do some sporatic iso to keep up my tone, but i am back down to about 140 and can not strengthen my legs well due to multiple severe injuries of one of my knees.

more on topic: i find it signifigantly easier to tone my muscle than to expand it and there is certainly a peak strength/tone after wich it becomes much more difficult to keep building and toning.

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Need to Gain Weight [Re: jarby]
    #3754473 - 02/09/05 03:38 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

well, you should start doing some *enjoyable* cardio first. it will give you the energy to work out and will help you to want to do things that require physical activity. whatever you do, don't do some boring or unpleasant cardio-inclusive activity. this will burn you out on excercise and make it no fun.

--------------------

User Gallery
    #3754999 - 02/09/05 08:26 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

concretefeet said:
i am that way now. i still retaine a good amount of upper bodystrength and do some sporatic iso to keep up my tone, but i am back down to about 140 and can not strengthen my legs well due to multiple severe injuries of one of my knees.

more on topic: i find it signifigantly easier to tone my muscle than to expand it and there is certainly a peak strength/tone after wich it becomes much more difficult to keep building and toning.

I'm sorry to hear about your knees-perhaps using a recumbant bike would help you with your legs. I'm currently at 265 lbs, and 6'6. Its pretty easy for me to gain muscle, but hard for others. I usually focus for long periods of time on simply building bulk muscle, and then toning later. If you want to increase your bulk, do what I recommended about the protein intake (chicken is great, if you eat it), and simply lift heavily multiple times to muscle failure (keep a good spotter around), also lift 3 times a week instead of 4. You should get some good results hopefully.

--------------------

OfflinePotSmokingApe
Stranger
Re: Need to Gain Weight [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #3769670 - 02/12/05 03:01 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

www.wannabebig.com has good workouts for beginners and lots of info on the forum.

Offlinehpnotiq
Stranger
Re: Need to Gain Weight [Re: PotSmokingApe]
    #3770354 - 02/12/05 10:20 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Believe it or not, adding cals to my daily intake, helped me gain weight fast.... I had like 30 Ensure cans and gulped down 1-2 daily and also attended the gym... This helped tremendously, even tho a lot of bb'ers think its BS, I am a bb'er and it worked. Take it from me.... You should workout 5 days a week for a beginner til you see some good results

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
    #3770362 - 02/12/05 10:24 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i would just eat a lot of junk food or any kind of food i felt like, but im thinking you don't want to do that.. so i don't know.. sorry im not being helpful here. i bet a lot of people would love to be in your position though you know..

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
    #3770388 - 02/12/05 10:36 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

First of all, if you had unexpected weight loss you should see a doctor. I struggled for years to increase my weight when I was younger.Now I have a hard time keeping it off. If you're healthy, I would'nt worry too much about it.

User Gallery
Re: Need to Gain Weight [Re: hpnotiq]
    #3770507 - 02/12/05 11:55 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hpnotiq said:
Believe it or not, adding cals to my daily intake, helped me gain weight fast.... I had like 30 Ensure cans and gulped down 1-2 daily and also attended the gym... This helped tremendously, even tho a lot of bb'ers think its BS, I am a bb'er and it worked. Take it from me.... You should workout 5 days a week for a beginner til you see some good results

Don't work out 5 days a week, that could be a terrible idea and cause your muscle to destroy itself faster than it can rebuild. That is assuming you do a full body workout.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Hemp

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being