Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
I want to get ripped - need advice
    #4425679 - 07/19/05 11:40 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I am currently 5'7 135-140 pds. Lately I have been slipping under 135 pds. I think this has happened because I have been on my road trip. It is hard to always eat while on the road and I have been doing a lot of hiking and stuff.

I have always had a fast metabolism. I have to eat a lot of food just to maintain my weight. If I am going to work out, I need to eat a shitload of food.

I used to be ripped. I was a little over 140 pds. but I was ultra muscular. I had a six-pack, decent looking pecs, thicker arms, etc... I was still skinny but I was very defined. Nowadays, I am just plain scrawny with not much muscular definition.

I want to get back into weight lifting. I want to bulk up to 150 pds. at least and I want to be defined. I figure that I will work out with the weights, get a punching bag, and get a speed bag. I have a feeling that I am going to have to eat ungodly amounts of food to support this exertion and my muscle growth.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me? Any particular foods, eating habits, or exercises that I should focus on? My plan so far is to just eat healthy (lots of protein, lots of carbs, veggies, fruits, power bars, protein shakes, and vitamins) and beat my body to shit (ride bike a lot, walk a lot, lift often, and beat on my punching bag). Should I use Creatine or Andro? I have all the time I need to accomplish this physical fitness goal (I am currently unemployed). How long will it take to get ripped if I am diligent? I was thinking in three months I might be able to achieve my goal.

Edited by RandalFlagg (07/19/05 11:42 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Re: I want to get ripped - need advice [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4425779 - 07/19/05 11:56 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Have you shit out any of those ropes that are in your avatar yet?

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

InvisiblePriitK
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: I want to get ripped - need advice [Re: QuantumMeltdown]
    #4425785 - 07/19/05 11:58 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Simple. Eat quality food with lots of protein, eat more then you can............Bulk up first then cut if you wanna get bigger/ripped. You could also use steroids too help but I will never touch the stuff.....You just lose alot if you come off, if you dont do it right you could have tons of problems.

Just keep it simple, eat good food with little fat, if youre already happy with your size just ride a moutain bike and run and punch a punching bag around.......drink water only or some coffee and milk....take multivitamins, tell me how u do

--------------------
I don't do drugs....I am drugs

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: I want to get ripped - need advice [Re: QuantumMeltdown]
    #4425786 - 07/19/05 11:58 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

QuantumMeltdown said:
Have you shit out any of those ropes that are in your avatar yet?

No. I certainly hope that I never do either. ew...

InvisiblePriitK
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: I want to get ripped - need advice [Re: PriitK]
    #4425792 - 07/19/05 11:59 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

also keep alot of carbs out, eat more protein..............................less salt too :laugh: less sugar also, after a workout have some creatine or just some grape juice..........have about 5-7 eggs in the morning with toast...you got it

--------------------
I don't do drugs....I am drugs

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4425799 - 07/20/05 12:02 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I should also note that I do a decent amount of pushups. I easily do 100-200 a day (I routinely drop down and do 40 push ups at a time for no particular reason). But I am not seeing any results.

I think I need to start hitting the benchpress and the flies hard again. That will bulk up my pancake pecs.

If I half-ass muscle training nothing ever happens. When I bust my ass and make my muscles sore then I start to see results.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: I want to get ripped - need advice [Re: PriitK]
    #4425811 - 07/20/05 12:06 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PriitK said:
also keep alot of carbs out, eat more protein..............................less salt too :laugh: less sugar also, after a workout have some creatine or just some grape juice..........have about 5-7 eggs in the morning with toast...you got it

The whole carb thing probably applies to people who need to lose fat.  I don't have any fat on my body and I never have.  So, I will still eat pasta and bread I'm thinking.  I do need to up the protein in my diet though.  I drink a lot of dairy and eat a lot of meat usually.  If I don't eat a lot of dairy and meat, I start to lose weight.

People who can't lose weight say how lucky I am.  But, I'll tell you what...being a string bean who has to struggle to put on weight sucks too.

OfflineGus
Back in town.

Loc: Quebec, Canada
    #4426021 - 07/20/05 01:02 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Eat each 2-3 hours. Thats the best advice I can give you. :thumbup:

Rice, oatmeal, tuna, chicken, veggies, etc
If you think you have a fast metabolism, get a whey gainer, 700 calories in a milkshake after your workout

Please dont start using Andro now. Thats a very bad idea. Id say creatine is ok tho
Learn to know how to eat enough and have a good workout program which actually works for you before using these. 80% of bulking up is what you eat.

Good luck man

OfflineJutboy
I guess I'm cool

Re: I want to get ripped - need advice [Re: Gus]
    #4426177 - 07/20/05 01:33 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I think its silly (no offensive if its how you feel) to try to reach a certain weight.....a certain size, sure I can see that, but what is 150??? I mean why??? Why do you want to get big anyway? I usually find its for some vain reason so I would recommend staying skinny and being happy with youself.

I goto the gym 4 times a week though so for some advice. Are you pretty knowledgeable how to setup a work-out....I do a day for each part.....chest, arms, sholder, back, legs.....

it would be best to do one super hard work out each day followed by a more relaxed one on the same part 3/4 days later....ie.(chest hard/sholders soft).

Do small amount of reps for size(6)/larger amount for endurance(14)..be careful and go slow!!!!! An injury can happen just like that and will put you out for a year (I was out 3 months for my sholder and 4 for my back)...if you want any specific advice feel free to pm me

Peace

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #4427399 - 07/20/05 10:37 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Judging by your height and weight, it sounds to me like you are most likely have an ectomorph's body type. This means you have a tendency to be very lean, low bodyfat, never hungry, fast metabolism etc.. I am the same way. I put on 20 pounds in the past 5 months, but it was a lot of hard work in the kitchen. I work hard in the gym also, but it really doesn't matter how hard you lift if you are not taking in sufficient calories.

You want to eat anything you can at first. Not junk food, but do not be afraid of carbs or fats. I used calorie dense fatty foods such as peanut butter and whole milk for the first couple months I was back in the gym. I put on a little bit of fat, but being an ectomorph, I know I can shed it in two weeks if I so desire. Carbs are also very important. Low carb diets cause low testosterone levels and are not optimal for muscle growth. I eat oatmeal every morning and then I add some to my protein shakes later in the day.

When it comes to weight training you want to lift heavy at all times. Pretty much every exercise you do should consist of a weight that you can do 4-6 reps with. It is an old bodybuilding myth that high reps make you cut. The truth is, the only thing that makes you more defined is having low bodyfat. It has nothing to do with the way you workout.

Supplements? I'm all for supplements. I spend way too much money on them myself. At the very least you will want to get a decent quality protein and a multi vitamin. Stay away from "weight gainers." They are just protein mixed with a shitload of sugar or maltodextrin(corn sugar). If you want extra calories then add milk and oatmeal or fruit to your protein shakes. Whole food is better for you than shakes, but I know some pretty big guys who rely heavily on their protein shakes as a source of food and protein because of time constraints.

I order all of my supplements from Bodybuilding.com. I have tried about every popular supplement out there. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Re: I want to get ripped - need advice [Re: PowerTrip]
    #4427564 - 07/20/05 11:42 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I suggest going on the bodybuilding.com forum and reading... a lot. You'll learn everything you need to know. Stickies of all pertanent forums have tons of information.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

OfflineGus
Back in town.

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Re: I want to get ripped - need advice [Re: PowerTrip]
    #4428341 - 07/20/05 02:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I think Whey gainers can be good. Some are not of course, but it can help a lot. liquid nutriments is the BEST thing you can eat after your workout.
Eat a big breakfast (I usually eat a BIG portion of oatmeal with a milkshake with a banana, berries and 6 eggs in it) and eat 2-3 times in the 3 hours following your workout. Thats the 2 most important meals.
Definatly get a protein powder if you dont get a gainer. I think eating enough protein without it is pretty tough. That would be a shitload of eggs,tuna, beef everyday.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being