Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChevyNo1
Lost My Whole Aquarium To Mold :(
    #357817 - 07/20/01 01:56 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I ordered a 10gal kit from Magic, bought my aquarium, sectional glass top, and spores from Hawk. I followed everything to the 'T'. Mycelia started to form in just a couple of days, and everything was looking great. I noticed A LOT of condensation on the top, and noticed that it was dripping down onto the mycelia. I didn't think anything of it. But by about day 5, green mold started forming. By day 7, it was a nasty mess of green, white, and black.

What could I have done wrong? I was very careful with cleanliness. The only thing I wondered about was the condensation on the top dripping down. Magic said that assuming everything was sterile, that wouldn't be a problem. Any ideas?????

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMindQuester

Loc: Oregon, USA
Re: Lost My Whole Aquarium To Mold :( [Re: ChevyNo1]
    #357828 - 07/20/01 02:10 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

If you coat the underside of the glass with vaseline water droplets will not be able to form and drip down.

--------------------
My presence here, any of the words I read, or any of the words I write are for the specific purposes of researching a novel in progress.
There is a good Mindquester and a bad Mindquester.

OfflineChevyNo1
Re: Lost My Whole Aquarium To Mold :( [Re: MindQuester]
    #357832 - 07/20/01 02:15 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

And what about the sides? Let it drip down there?

Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
    #357833 - 07/20/01 02:15 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

> Mycelia started to form in just a couple of days

This means mold is on the way... For germination of mushroom spores, 5-10 days is normal.

How did you sterilize? Did the green form near the innoc points or elsewhere on the sub. Next time out, leave one jar un-inocculated. The control jar will help you figure out where your prob is. Could have been in the syringe, innoc procedure or unsterilized sub.

Believe in yourself, keep an open mind and enjoy a spirited sense of adventure.

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

OfflineChevyNo1
Re: Lost My Whole Aquarium To Mold :( [Re: egghead]
    #357836 - 07/20/01 02:22 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I sterlized everything according to the instructions in the kit. The sub was all done in bags in the microwave, the tank was thoroughly cleaned with soap and water, and then everything was lightly sprayed with Lysol disinfectant. I never noticed where the mold spots were in comparison to the innoc points. I will have to pay more attention the next time.

Offlineegghead
veteran
    #357855 - 07/20/01 02:56 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Microwave ovens vary so much in their heat intensity and distribution that I would have to suspect something probably went awry w/ the sterilization.

Ask Grandma if you can borrow her pressure cooker. You'll get more consitent results w/ that.

--------------------

Offlinefruers
Loc: nsw, australia
Re: Lost My Whole Aquarium To Mold :( [Re: egghead]
    #357989 - 07/20/01 07:38 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Argh! My spores started germinating after only 2 days also, they're now mostly colonised without any contams, might there be something on the way??

Offlineauto59009
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
Re: Lost My Whole Aquarium To Mold :( [Re: fruers]
    #357995 - 07/20/01 08:04 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

not likely, just a lot of good clean fresh spores... i have had 2 day germination using more spore water than necessary from a fresh print...

good luck!

I am a compulsive liar :wink:
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing
http://www.lilshopofspores.com
http://www.shaman-australis.com/shroom

--------------------
I am a compulsive liar :wink:

Offlinefruers
Loc: nsw, australia
Re: Lost My Whole Aquarium To Mold :( [Re: auto59009]
    #358031 - 07/20/01 09:44 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

cool, i did use a large amount of spore solution, the spore print was from mystical mycology(same place you get yours prob), says it was collected 20/04. i've been paranoid the whole time about the cakes because they germinated so quick.

Offlineegghead
veteran
Re: Lost My Whole Aquarium To Mold :( [Re: fruers]
    #358050 - 07/20/01 10:13 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, that's not a firm rule.  But, in general, the green mold will germ more quickly than the mushroom spores.  If it didn't turn green a couple days later, you're cool.  Sorry if I alarmed ya. :crazy:

--------------------

Offlinealuminum_can
addict
Loc: california, orange
    #358090 - 07/20/01 11:09 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

you son of a bitch!! dont order from them!!! i bought that same kit and the same thing happened to me!! except with me the spores died the first night because the heat pad was on too high, and after that the heat pad broke the bottom of the aquarium leving holes for contams to get in. we had to throw away the whole aquarium!! i bet that kit would work nicely if you took the substrate they gave you and made 1/2 pint jars with it and then cased the whole aquarim with vaseline on the sides and top.

just because you stick feathers up youre butt does not make you a chicken.

--------------------
the little kridders of nature; they dont know that thyre ugly!

Offlinemidnitesun
old-school,master-grower
 User Gallery

Loc: East Coast(on the water-f...
    #358143 - 07/21/01 02:49 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

hey man ,i started by ordering that 10 gal. terrarium kit by magic he failed to tell how direct water hurts your substrate and casing layer...by not telling you to place a drip sheid in your aquerium...i wasted 54 dollars to magic and 20 dollars in spores from pf... until now , i got the pf tek book and 10 spore syringes from them ,everything looks good, just birthed my cakes in a drip sheild humidified terriums 4- days ago.....i will have killer friuts soon...i tried what i thought was the easy way out of prepareing my own substrate and presuring cooking it...but i learned the hard way.....go with the pf tek ... and birth the jars in trays with a 50/50 casing layer or ..just the jars in the terrerium... magic's teck suck's....i thought i was the only one that wasted there money and time on this bullshit tek...magic's just trying to make money and dose not know what the fuck he is talking about..........peace

neo

--------------------
"3 o'Clock Road Block,hey mister Cop, I ain't got no,Ber-surfer-ticket"(rfic). (Bob Marley)

"Here's an idea,lets make the Constitution legal". (Ron Paul)

"The war on drugs is a lie created by the State to enslave it's citizens".(midnitesun)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags