Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
The Continuing Adventures of Dr. Evil Wiener Dog:
    #2168603 - 12/08/03 11:18 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

**This is purely a work of fiction, and is not to be confused with any actual person, thing, or event**

After Dr. Evil Wiener Dog?s jars had begun to show signs of mycological growth, he knew good things were afoot. After all the trials, and botched shopping trips, things were starting to move along nicely. However, all evil geniuses, such as Dr. Evil Wiener Dog, know that a first success is no time to slack off, and now it is time for a proper terrarium to be built.

Dr. Wiener as he is known, likes to be productive, and as such is looking to build a massive chamber capable of having casings at several different stages going simultaneously. I have had several ideas for what might be the best approach to this but nothing has satisfied the evil doctors grand schemes.

I am but a humble ninja with no mission but to serve the good doctor, and his foolish whims are by default mine. I have seen Anno?s stand up closet type style, and I like that, but I fear contams on the casing, as well as, the other problems that can be caused by unfiltered air exchange.

He is leaning towards something like this: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=sc_pgc_r_5_0/602-7901701-3435839?asin=B00006AMST - and although it is a bit on the pricy side, money is something that evil Dr. Wiener Dog has.

He saw them, and thought that many of them could be in a single location and help with proper organization, as well as helping with a constant cycle. Flushed out shelves could be cleared out and replaced with a fresh casing as needed. Keeping the process in a constant smooth run.

Is this a good idea or bad, IS there any advice I could garner from this fine Shroomery of yours? Please help, the patience of the Evil Doctor is thinning, and I fear for my safety.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Re: The Continuing Adventures of Dr. Evil Wiener Dog: [Re: JetBlackNinja]
    #2168671 - 12/08/03 11:56 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Well, lets look at this from an analytical stand point. I'm assuming you already have an incubation chamber - so I'll focus on the fruiting chamber. A fruiting chamber needs to provide the following:

• temps around 74 degrees Fahrenheit
  • high humidity
  • clean, constant airflow
  • some light (preferably leaning toward the blue side)

Additionally you may want some separation between growing areas so that one contam doesn't take over all of the casings/cakes (whichever way you go)

Now - with that in mind there are multiple ways of acheiving each goal:

Heat
  • Heating pad under the chamber
  • Submerge container in heated water (dual rubbermaid setup)
  • Heat lamp of some sort (have to watch out for drying)

Humidity
  • Perlite
  • Geolite/Lava rocks + aquarium bubblers
  • Humidifier

Airflow
  • Fanning
  • Bubbler
  • Humidifier

Light will basically happen by itself - just by opening the container to check up you'll expose them to enough light.

Shoot - I have to go for a minute - I'll finish posting my ideas in a little bit...

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Re: The Continuing Adventures of Dr. Evil Wiener Dog: [Re: mobiusrunner]
    #2168697 - 12/08/03 12:13 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks.

Already have the Ultrasonic Coolmist humidifier, which He intends to combine with Perlite for maximum effect. Both used once on BRF cakes, and they flushed like they had been cased.

How can they be given light if they are in a dark colored chamber like that? Any ideas?????

I am not currently in possesion of an incubation chamber, just using a space heater for now. Will make an incubation chamber at a later date.

How much airflow do they need? That chamber is quite obviously not air-tight, will that allow enough, besides the humidifier, and it being opened 2 or 3 times per day?

--------------------

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
    #2168902 - 12/08/03 01:54 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Well, skip the perlite if you can, it makes a totally freakin mess and is generally a total pain in the ass.

The secret to any kind of setup like this is to dry run it for a while to make sure you're getting the conditions you want waaay before any shrooms make it their home.

I think that you may want to instead look into one of the temporary closet/greenhouse setups that we're starting to see more often. My friend uses rubbermaid totes turned into PMPs with a plexiglass top. They are self contained and while they do cost a bit, you can build up your collection of them slowly over time. Plus, if you get contams in one, you can just toss its contents, bleach the hell out of it and just move on without upsetting the rest of your grow.

Another thing to remember is that if you're doing casings rather than cakes(highly recommended!) you can play it a little more fast and lose with the humidity - they self humidify quite a bit. You just have to make sure that the air exchange and heat is there (without drying them out).

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
    #2168913 - 12/08/03 02:05 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

As for the exact requirements of the shrooms look here:

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23457

--------------------

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
    #2168923 - 12/08/03 02:10 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Well I can obviously skip the Perlite if that is helpful, but I can easily deal with any mess issues, and that temporary Greenhouse/Closet thing is what Anno built, I referd to it in the initial post. I am just not sure about the sturdniss, and neatness, of having several of such a contraption.

I figured if I had "a bunch" of these squat little shelving units, then I could easily fill and empty individual ones as needed.

--------------------

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
    #2168941 - 12/08/03 02:19 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Well, if you look at it from a money standpoint. Each one of those units is $60. each "shelf" of that thing could be seen as being able to hold one smallish PMP. Why not get 4 $5 rubbermaids all hooked up into one humidifier and then you'd get the same result for less than half the price.

Those shelves also don't let you see how your shroomies are doing without exposing them to outside air - which can bring contams. If you can work it out so that you can check up on them and the shrooms stay in a positive pressure environment it would probably be best.

--------------------

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
    #2168996 - 12/08/03 02:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Takes the temporary closet method option away also, does it not?

I liked those thing cause of the idea of self-contained units, instead of 900 little peices all interconnected everywhere. That is what I am going for, very professional type units, uniform in size and shape. I don't want components laying every which way.

Plus those individual tupperware/rubbermaid containers are usually small as hell, requiring me to have just way too many individual things going all the time. Not to mention that with all the hoses and shit in them, they aren't very stackable, and I hate to waste the height of the area.

--------------------

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
    #2169053 - 12/08/03 03:01 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Nah - the temporary closet/greenhouse things I've seen are all clear and have a positive pressure maintained by the humidifier and humidistat.

As for the size of the containers - you can get huge ones that are just as big as one shelf of that thing from target without any problem.

It sounds like, now that I think about it, you are going for something where you can bulk grow without it being terribly obvious that you are doing so.

Those actual units say they are ventilated which means if you really want to use them you will have to setup some sort of inner structure anyways - you may want to just build tents of some sort in there that are suspended by the shelf above. You could have the humidifier on the middle of the bottom shelf and have it pump into the top of all of the bags - 2 on top and 2 on bottom would probably work well.

--------------------

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
    #2169064 - 12/08/03 03:06 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I am going looking for a clear temporary closet. Everyone I ever saw was canvas and therefore would get soaked by the humidity.

Dr. Evil Wiener Dog has a secret lair and can grow whatever he wants on the kitchen floor if it would please him. The need for the unifority and order is cause Dr. Evil Wiener Dog is an anal-retentive.

--------------------

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
    #2169139 - 12/08/03 04:34 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

This looks like it could do what you want:

http://www.herbkits.com/minigreenhouse.htm

--------------------

OfflineEyePain
Stranger

#2169280 - 12/08/03 05:48 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

This is basicly the same thing as linked above (as far as I know, but I havent used it... but do plan to as its cheap) for much less. 4 shelf green house, clear plastic on it ect...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/s...roductId=404720

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation