Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinealuminum_can
addict
Loc: california, orange
an idea, need feed back
    #357019 - 07/18/01 10:13 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

i hat using pelite because i can never get it right and it makes my terrarium smell so i am thinking of makning a new way of humidity using a cool mist humidifier. i still got a few questions about this setup that i will be creating so please give feedback. first, i will buy this cool mister that has this mount for the water that i think is a good idea (you just screw on a 20 oz bottle of bottled water). they say its made for small dorm rooms or other small places, so i think it will work. i will then cover up the hole that the cool mist is supposed to come out of with duct tape and then drill a hole for an inch hose and then put the hose there. then id put the hose in the terrarium through the lid. i will put the casings on top of some wire mesh that makes a sort of platform (i will bend it) so water can build up at the bottom that i will drain every time i refill the water. then i will tape an airpump to the bottom just above the wire mesh platform with the hose going out the lid of the terrarium. this way it will be getting fresh air from the cool mister and getting rid of the heavy co2 at the bottom. i will have the cool mister set up with a timer (it lets eletricity go through and turn on the cool mister at the time indicated) and i will be having the air pump going 24/7. heres the questions i hve:
1) how often will the cool mister need to be on to get a 10 gallon aquarium at 85% humidity? (for casings)
2)if the air pump is going to be on all the time will the mushrooms not grow right? i heard that they need co2 to initiate fruiting but since its casings and co2 gets built up under the casing layer will this be a problem?
3) will the air pump being on all the time decrease humidity?

from all the info ive gathered on teks and posts i came up with that way but as you can see i still have 3 questions. please give some feedback!

just because you stick feathers up youre butt does not make you a chicken.

--------------------
the little kridders of nature; they dont know that thyre ugly!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
Re: an idea, need feed back [Re: aluminum_can]
    #357036 - 07/18/01 10:37 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I wonder if anyone will be able to help ya on this. Too many unknowns. Might be a good idea to get a hygrometer so you can tweak it out yourself.

Those that fear the sorrow will never know the joy.

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

Offlinealuminum_can
addict
Re: an idea, need feed back [Re: egghead]
    #357063 - 07/18/01 11:19 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

whats a hygrometer. if i knew i prolly could teak it out (since i have atleast a month before i need to put anything in a terrarium. i will do a search on hygrometer

--------------------

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
    #357070 - 07/18/01 11:37 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

hygrometers are used to measure humidity... there are some good links on DD I to places that sell them . Peace

"A Wise One like me should not charge for her services....The one who charges is a liar. The wise one is born to cure, not to do business with her knowledge."-Maria Sabina

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #357071 - 07/18/01 11:38 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

> i will do a search on hygrometer
Wise idea.
http://nsidc.org/arcticmet/glossary/hygrometer.html

---------------------------------------
kickme.to/mushrooms

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #357081 - 07/19/01 12:32 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

i will do a search on hygrometer

Good man!!!
:smile:

~fortyounces2freedom~ & ~disconnectedhaze~

Support the FSR!!

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Offlinealuminum_can
addict
    #357406 - 07/19/01 08:14 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

so a hygrometer is something that tells you the humidity percentage?

--------------------

OfflineRam85
journeyman
Loc: USA
    #357423 - 07/19/01 09:01 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Yep AC, thats exactly what it does. And it is very nice to be able to know exactly what your humidty is inside your chamber.

"It lasted for a million years and for a split-second. But it's over and now it's your turn." -Timothy Leary
Support the FSR
Keep Shroomin'!

--------------------
"It lasted for a million years and for a split-second. But it's over and now it's your turn." -Timothy Leary
Support the FSR
Keep Shroomin'!

OfflineMindQuester

Loc: Oregon, USA
    #357454 - 07/19/01 09:46 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Gee. All that sounds so complicated when perlite works so well and so easily. Don't know about the bad smell you say you get in your chamber using it. My friends never had that problem; just put it in and let it go to work. They use a rubbermaid tub, clear on sides and bottom and a see through blue lid. The tub is about 2 feet long and 1.5 feet wide. Perfect size for a casing and a couple of cakes at the same time. The blue lid works especially well when there is an overhead light. That makes the predominant light entering the chamber blue. My friends tell me that this wavelength of light is the best for fruiting. Simple when compared to cutting hoses and drilling holes and emptying water, etc.

--------------------
My presence here, any of the words I read, or any of the words I write are for the specific purposes of researching a novel in progress.
There is a good Mindquester and a bad Mindquester.

Offlinealuminum_can
addict
    #357528 - 07/19/01 11:21 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

the reason i would be drilling holes and emtying water is because i will be getting a good (clean) humidity and continous fresh air!! i dont live close to my friends so i have to take a bus there and pass out over there for a few nights and then take the bus home. how would i be able to fan the stinky perlite terrarium 3 times a day if im at my friends house? the reason that youre terrarium never smelled is probably cus youve never stuck youre head in there and got a good smell. it smell like dirty wet rocks, but times 10. ive never been able to get the humidity right with pelite either. either too little perlite, or too little water or visa versa. if perlite works for you then use it!!! i dont believe that stinky perlite will get you as good of yields as my setup will. the only problem is that im pretty sure that the mycelium needs co2 to form pinheads, is this true?

--------------------

Offlinepatzee
enthusiast

#357630 - 07/19/01 07:18 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

You said"i will then cover up the hole that the cool mist is
supposed to come out of with duct tape and then drill a hole for an inch hose
Duct tape will get wet.. cut the top off of a coke bottle,drill a hole for your tubing to come out of that, place the gromet in the hole and glue. ( per MMGG)
obviously leave the cap on the top of the bottle.
Use Aquarium glue or plumbers glue, silicon,
to seal the base around the output of the mister and the
then ya said "then i will tape an airpump to the bottom just" Forget tape again.. it will be too wet and just fall off-
wrap a piece of wire around it and dangle it down in there from the outside.. then you have a way to
retrieve it easily. ..Also consider.. where the air that is going to the airpump is coming from..
I am going to use the Air Tek from http://www.lilshopofspores.com/humdity_chamber.htm.
Since you hate perlite.. Definitely ck this out..I am revamping too. Blushroom advises and an air exchange
only 3 times a day depending on the weather.
I bought an ultrasonic humidifier.. I loved misting.. but I overdid it. You can't let the
mist just pour onto the cakes.. read the MMGG on the coke bottle chambers to if you decide to use
the mister.. And/or put the drip shield up like you are going to hand mist and have the hose hit that first.
You only need to put the mist on LOW for a minute or 2.
How often? Try every 2 hours and monitor like crazy until ya get it at a constant 95%. I haven't used an aquarium. I had a big
rubbermaid.. and it didn't take much to bring it up. Buy a good MIN MAX thermo _hygrometer
Alternative Garden Suppy has one.. I think for about 35 bucks is what I paid. I am a beginner. I got
my first cakes to flush..but then I went nuts with the ultrasonic and WITH PERLITE TOO. and beat the shit out of my next cakes.
"LEARN FROM OTHER'S MISTAKES, BUT DON'T GET ALL YOUR EDUCATION THAT WAY"
ps. I thought you posted that you've been growing mushroom for a long time.. and
it sure doesn't sound like you read the basic primers .. mmgg, pf tek.. .. read em again.. and good luck.

My most worthy advisor
www.thehawkseye.com

OfflineMindQuester

Loc: Oregon, USA
    #357689 - 07/19/01 09:52 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Hey Aluminum Can,

When you ask for feedback and people give it to you, you might want to at least sound half-way appreciative. Might want to take it a little easy on the exclamation points. The way I read your reply to my response to your feedback was that you were just a tad hostile. I was just passing on some knowledge that's all. And by the way, I've never smelled perlite. It doesn't smell like wet, dirty rocks X 10. Must be some other baddies in your chamber causing that. Of course if you can't fan it out once in a while you might want to look at alternatives, but you did not post that bit of info in your first post.

--------------------
My presence here, any of the words I read, or any of the words I write are for the specific purposes of researching a novel in progress.
There is a good Mindquester and a bad Mindquester.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix