Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineprotocoldroid
synthtek aa
Loc: central ny
testing a digital hygrometer.
    #375509 - 08/21/01 08:11 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I got a digital hygrometer at wally-m's and... here I thought this would help in accuracy, but... whenever it's in any of my terrariums it always reads 99%, when I pull it out of the terriarum, it'll read a lower humidity, close to what the humidity of my apartment should be.

the terrariums are humidified with a thin (1/2") layer of perlite which was soaked and drained before going into the terrariums.

I'm starting to think this hygrometer freaks when the humidity gets to a certain point, any good way to test it? or any other idea, maybe my terrariums (size about 2' height, 2' wide, 3.5' length) are too moist after all.

thx!

-protocoldroid

-=/ "what is this electrofunk that's drivin' y'all crazy?" \=-

[paranoia disclaimer: a science-fiction post for a science-fiction world, this post is not intended to be true.]

--------------------
[disclaimer: a science-fiction post for a science-fiction world, this post is not intended to be true.]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: testing a digital hygrometer. [Re: protocoldroid]
    #375511 - 08/21/01 08:21 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

You can test it with a saturated salt solution, then it should read 75.
Analog (dial-type) hygrometers are often shipped from the factory out of spec. To calibrate, you need plain table salt, a few drops of water and a see-through Tupperware container with a tightly fitting lid.
Place about 1 teaspoon of salt in a small shallow open container, such as the cap to a jar. Add a few drops of water to the salt. You DO NOT want a solution or to dissolve the salt, only get it damp. Place the container with the salt solution in the Tupperware container. Next, place the hygrometer in the Tupperware container face down. This will allow you to view and check the reading of the hygrometer before you open the container. CAUTION - do not spill any salt or solution on your hygrometer! Place the lid on the Tupperware container making sure it fits tight. Allow to stabilize for at least 6 hours. Without opening the container, check your reading. It should read exactly 75%. If not, note the deviation and or adjust the hygrometer.

---------------------------------------
kickme.to/mushrooms

Edited by Anno on 08/21/01 07:26 AM.

Offlinehomebrew

Re: testing a digital hygrometer. [Re: protocoldroid]
    #375514 - 08/21/01 08:28 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Check the operating range of the hygrometer; it might not be accurate above a certain humidity level. The range should be printed somewhere on the package.

Offlineprotocoldroid
synthtek aa
Loc: central ny
Re: testing a digital hygrometer. [Re: Anno]
    #375732 - 08/21/01 06:11 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

excellent, I'm going to give it a shot. thank you.

-protocoldroid

[paranoia disclaimer: a science-fiction post for a science-fiction world, this post is not intended to be true.]

--------------------
[disclaimer: a science-fiction post for a science-fiction world, this post is not intended to be true.]

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation