Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDF2K
Me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: The land before time
Re: Estimated 10,000 dead [Re: Dark_Star]
    #3545368 - 12/26/04 07:28 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Estimated 10,000 dead [Re: Sinbad]
    #3545667 - 12/26/04 08:32 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Pictures of Sri Lanka were on the news, unbelievable!!!!

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3545734 - 12/26/04 08:48 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

certainly puts sept 11th into perspective.

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: Estimated 10,000 dead [Re: Vvellum]
    #3545848 - 12/26/04 09:19 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Bam did that one, last year, too.

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #3545906 - 12/26/04 09:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

thank you for posting about this...

my family has friends in phuket, thailand right now, whom we still havent heard from :frown:

my father was travelling to sri lanka in less than 2 weeks and I am so thankful that the geological time scales didnt wait 2 more weeks... other families tonight arent so thankful......

this is one of humankinds worst tragedies... I pray for everyone involved and I hope to God the US sends as much money as possible to help this nation who is impoverished and destroyed... :frown:

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: Estimated 10,000 dead [Re: Psilygirl]
    #3545913 - 12/26/04 09:47 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Psilygirl said:
I hope to God the US sends as much money as possible to help this nation who is impoverished and destroyed... :frown:

Bush has said that we will send whatever's needed......I seriously dislike that man and his policies, but this time he is doing something good.  :thumbup: I hope you're friends are all alright....everyone involved is in my heart right now.  :heart: :heart: :heart:

--------------------

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

#3545925 - 12/26/04 09:54 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dark_Star said:
everyone involved is in my heart right now.  :heart: :heart: :heart:

same here, thanks for your prayers...

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #3545926 - 12/26/04 09:54 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'm actually in india right now, far from where this happened. I'm just surprised this didn't get much attention. Or maybe I just haven't seen it.

--------------------

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: Estimated 10,000 dead [Re: Vvellum]
    #3546321 - 12/26/04 11:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
certainly puts sept 11th into perspective.

There is no comparison here.... 9-11 was the result of targeted and planned out hatred, not a natually occuring act of the earth.... Mother earth did not "choose" to kill and target certain people or lands....

My thoughts go out to the people that died, and the families that have lost precious loved ones....

ChoW~,
>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
Re: Estimated 10,000 dead [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3547207 - 12/27/04 06:41 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

The toll is up to 21,000 now! Unbelievable. Very sad indeed :cry:

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

UPDATE: Death toll has risen to 21.000 [Re: Psilygirl]
    #3547269 - 12/27/04 07:26 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I PM-ed KRISHNA in two ways that his friends are likely OK since Phnom Pen, Cambodia was unaffected.

PSILYGIRL, please keep us posted when you hear more of your family's friends. We're worried with you and prayers are out for all affected.

Quote:

this is one of humankinds worst tragedies... I pray for everyone involved and I hope to God the US sends as much money as possible to help this nation who is impoverished and destroyed...

Indeed. The ones who took this loss are among the less fortunate countries, it's the way of the world, cruel, but it is.

The question is what WE OURSELVES will do with this. If you're religious, a prayer might do it, but I want to bring up the much-dreaded subject of actually donating ca$h to help those in need. I have saved ?50/$65 for the national Dutch New Year's Eve fireworks extravaganza. This year there'll be no fireworks as I will pour that cash directly into a disaster fund that'll undoubtably be created.
I hereby commit myself to donate ?50 to an Asia quake disaster fund

Don't feel obligated or pushed but it would be so great if we, the 6% of the world rich enough to actually afford a computer or the 15% who can afford to get online at least once in our lifetimes, actually shoved a coin up the right slot for once. Come on, swap the New Year's Eve champaign for a good cider and pay up  :thumbup:
If you don't believe in private charity aid or are to budgetted to spare a coin it's all good, but let those who can and want to do so.

I'm laying down ?50/$65. Can I see some of that psychedelic community Christmas spirit?  :heart:

CHENNAI, India (CNN) -- The death toll from Sunday's tsunamis climbed to 21,000 by Monday as fears of disease from decaying bodies and contaminated water grew in Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka and Thailand.

The giant waves -- triggered by the most powerful earthquake on Earth in 40 years -- also left thousands injured, thousands missing and hundreds of thousands homeless.

A Sri Lankan forecaster warned of a "remote possibility of small tidal waves" caused by aftershocks Monday.

Some of the tsunamis reached as far as 1,000 miles from the epicenter of the 9.0 magnitude quake, which was located about 100 miles (160 km) off the coast of Indonesia's Sumatra Island at a depth of about 6.2 miles (10 km).

The quake struck about 7 a.m. Sunday (7 p.m. ET Saturday), according to the U.S. Geological Survey's National Earthquake Information Center (NEIC). It is the fourth-largest earthquake since such measurements began in 1899, according to the NEIC, tying a 1952 quake in Kamchatka, Russia.

More than 10,000 people have been reported dead in Sri Lanka. Most of them, authorities said, were in the eastern district of Batticaloa. Thousands were missing, an estimated 1 million were displaced and an estimated 250,000 were homeless.

In southern Sri Lanka, 200 prisoners escaped when the waves swept away a high-security prison in Matara.

Witnesses in the eastern Sri Lankan port city of Trincomalee reported 40 foot (14 meter) waves hitting inland as far as a half mile (1 km).

The Sri Lankan government declared a state of emergency, and, along with the government of the Maldives, has requested international assistance, the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs reported.

As the sun rose, 20,000 Sri Lankan soldiers and naval personnel launched relief and rescue efforts. India sent six warships carrying supplies, along with helicopters. Priorities included identifying the hardest-hit areas and airdropping supplies, along with shepherding stranded people to safer areas.

Sri Lankan authorities imposed a curfew overnight, and many residents remained concerned about the possibility of additional tsunamis. The country has been in the throes of a civil war, and land mines uprooted by the waves were hampering relief efforts.

Sri Lanka's director of meteorology Abey Singha Bandara told CNN his department's analysis suggested "a remote possibility of small tidal waves, but not of the magnitude experienced on Sunday."

Some tourists, meanwhile, were evacuated from the hard-hit eastern coasts to the capital Colombo, on the west coast and unaffected by the disaster.

At first light, many Sri Lankans ventured out to scour the debris for belongings or to search for information on missing family members.

In India, the official government news agency Press Trust of India said at least 6,200 Indians were killed, and more bodies were being recovered.

A resident of Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu district -- India's hardest-hit area -- said he saw several people being swept out to sea.

Along India's southeastern coast, several villages appeared to have been swept away. Thousands of fishermen -- including 2,000 from the Chennai area alone -- who were at sea when the waves thundered ashore have not returned.

Along the coast, brick foundations were all that remained of village homes. In Tamil Nadu, 2,500 people have been confirmed dead, and officials said 3,000 died on the remote Andaman and Nicobar islands, where dozens of aftershocks were centered. Communication from the islands to the mainland was cut off.

In Thailand, authorities said at least 866 people are dead, and hundreds are missing. Among the missing were scuba divers who had been exploring the Emerald Cave off Phuket's coast.

Phuket's airport -- which closed when its runways flooded -- reopened, but most roads in the area remained closed as officials tried to assess the damage.

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra arrived in Phuket and declared the situation "under control." He told CNN he planned to direct rescue and relief efforts overnight.

Witnesses reported guests drowned in their hotel rooms near the coast as 30-foot waves washed ashore.

Others reported narrow escapes, including a Spaniard who had been aboard a boat when a wave approached.

The captain began screaming and turned the boat directly into a nearby shore, where he beached it. As those aboard jumped from the craft and scrambled up the steep beach, they turned back to see the waves crush their boat, the Spaniard said.

More than 4,350 people are reported dead in Indonesia -- many of them in Aceh in northern Sumatra, about 100 miles from the quake's epicenter, officials said.

The quake also inflicted heavy damage on the area, which is a hotbed of rebel activity, before two tsunamis slammed the coastline. Access and communications were difficult if not impossible. The death toll remained a mystery on the west coast of Aceh, where communication had been wiped out.

In the Maldives, 46 people are dead and more than 70 missing, according to Hassan Sobir, the Maldives High Commissioner.

Among the dead are at least 16 non-nationals, including six Britons, six Americans and four Italians, officials from those countries said. Of the Americans, five were killed in Sri Lanka and one in Thailand, U.S. officials said.
No warning

The tsunamis struck with no warning to those in coastal areas, as no warning system exists for the Indian Ocean, said Eddie Bernard, director of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Pacific Marine and Environmental Labs in Seattle.

Staffers at warning centers that cover the Pacific Basin and the U.S. West Coast were aware of the quake and the possibility of tsunamis, said Laura Kong, director of the International Tsunami Information Center in Honolulu, Hawaii.

"They were able to make contact, but they did not have the proper government officials to notify," she said. "They'll be working on this in the future."

The earthquake is classified as "great" -- the strongest classification given by the National Earthquake Information Center.

NEIC geophysicist Don Blakeman said the tsunamis were triggered by the initial massive jolt.

"The damage is just phenomenal," said Jan Egelund, U.N. emergency relief coordinator. "I think we are seeing now one of the worst natural disasters ever."

There was disagreement over whether the threat was over. Waverly Person, Blakeman's colleague at NEIC, said the tsunamis are "long over" and residents and visitors should not worry about further tsunamis.

Bernard, however, said the aftershocks are strong enough to produce more tsunamis.

One such aftershock, measuring 7.3 in magnitude, struck about 200 miles (300 km) northwest of Banda Aceh -- on Sumatra's northernmost tip -- more than four hours after the initial quake, according to the NEIC. The center expects the quake to produce hundreds of smaller aftershocks under 4.6 magnitude, and thousands smaller than that.

"A quake of this size has some pretty serious effects," Person said.

The quake represented the energy released from "a very large rupture in the earth's crust" more than 600 miles (1,000 km) long. The rupture created shock waves that pushed the water at speeds of up to several hundred miles per hour.

It was the strongest earthquake to hit anywhere on Earth since March 1964, when a 9.2 quake struck near Alaska's Prince William Sound. The strongest recorded earthquake registered 9.5 on May 22, 1960, in Chile.

Sunday's quake hit a year after a 6.6-magnitude quake in Bam, Iran, killed more than 30,000 people, injured another 30,000 and destroyed 85 percent of the buildings in the southeastern Iran city.

CNN Correspondents Aneesh Raman in Phuket, Thailand; Satinder Bindra in Colombo, Sri Lanka; Atika Shubert in Jakarta, Indonesia; and Suhasini Haidar in Chennai, India contributed to this report
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

Re: UPDATE: Death toll has risen to 21.000 [Re: Asante]
    #3547611 - 12/27/04 10:04 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i too will donate 50 euros.

23,000 dead and rising.

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

#3547669 - 12/27/04 10:21 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

exactly my thoughts, wiccan seeker. I will definitely donate as soon as I hear of a relief fund. have you heard of one yet?

these people need clean up and clean water asap... they need to take care of all the wounds and broken bones...

keep everyone in your prayers, whatever form they may take. there are hundreds of thousands today who have lost someone they loved dearly

--------------------

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: UPDATE: Death toll has risen to 21.000 [Re: Psilygirl]
    #3547703 - 12/27/04 10:41 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

We don't have to leave it at words.
Please look at the top of any forum..

In a mere 1 1/2 hours The Shroomery Community raised $167-275

*smiles with wet eyes*
We truely are a worldwide Community, people..  :heart:
Let's keep it coming, if it's only a single dollar, and if you shrug your shoulders and roll a joint, make sure that your weed is Thai and your hasheesh is fine Indian charas  :thumbup:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

#3547722 - 12/27/04 10:47 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'm donating $50 to the International Red Cross/Red Crescent Fund since--after watching the news--they seem to be supplying the most immediate effort.

--------------------

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#3547734 - 12/27/04 10:51 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

When did this happen its like I live in a hole or something. I flipped on the tube and saw all this stuff floating out to see.

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: UPDATE: Death toll has risen to 21.000 [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #3547781 - 12/27/04 11:07 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

is there a Paypal link to donate anywhere?
(jester omitted for this post)
Peter

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: UPDATE: Death toll has risen to 21.000 [Re: Psilygirl]
    #3548300 - 12/27/04 01:52 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I'm donating $50 to the International Red Cross/Red Crescent Fund since--after watching the news--they seem to be supplying the most immediate effort.

I added a link to their online donations page to the action page that's on top of every forum. We, the Shroomery, raised $252-$415 until now in these few hours :heart:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

#3548317 - 12/27/04 01:57 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'm hoping that since my father's company does so much business in Sri Lanka and he has friends there that his company will send a donation......

thanks shroomerites :heart:

--------------------

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Loc: UK
Re: Estimated 10,000 dead [Re: Psilygirl]
    #3548366 - 12/27/04 02:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I heard the news about an hour ago. I literally thought the world was going to end as I'd recently watched a programme about Tsunami waves. It was terrifying. Still devasted though. Makes me feel highly insignificant.

--------------------
"Whatever you do, you need to keep moving.  Because when you stop moving you die (physically and emotionally).

Good luck and blessings of happiness and fortune." ~ RandalFlagg RIP

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale