Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineraSman
Ethnobotanist InTraining

Loc: NJ, USA
Peruvian Torch Inquiry
    #3521387 - 12/19/04 05:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I recently acquired a lot of 100 peruvian torch seeds...
I planted the seeds in 1/2 potting mix (scotts w/osmocote time-release fertilizer) and 1/2 perlite. My question is: Do I need to use a fungacide? If so, would lime/limewater work?  :confused:

--------------------
Free Chain Of IPods
This is quite possibly the easiest way to get something free on the internet. When asked which offer(yea, just 1) you will complete, you want to choose video professor. You can get a full refund on shipping and everything. Once five people (don't even have to know them) complete the offer as well...you get an IPod. I sh*t you not.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenoodles
Student

Loc: valley of the sun
Re: Peruvian Torch Inquiry [Re: raSman]
    #3521458 - 12/19/04 05:32 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

if you dont have a fungicide i suggest you sterlize the soil in a microwave... keep an eye out for damping off fungus, the big killer amongst germinating seeds. if you notice a fungus start to develop, it may be hard to control. lime water won't do crap, if the fungus starts up you'll definitely need to find a good fungicide. i use one from american agritech that works wonders.

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #3521475 - 12/19/04 05:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Just wonderin... Have you read the literature about cactus seeds?

The Nook Archives
Closet Cactus Care

OfflineraSman
Ethnobotanist InTraining

Re: Peruvian Torch Inquiry [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #3521636 - 12/19/04 06:19 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i know its not the best couple of pics, but does this look like a tru peruvian torch?

...got it a week or 2 ago from home depot. I am growing it in a closet on anywhere from 12-15 hrs of light a dae. Since I put it in the closet it has turned quite blue. I also have a 13.5" san pedro growing.

can u ID the plants in the background? lol

--------------------
Free Chain Of IPods
This is quite possibly the easiest way to get something free on the internet. When asked which offer(yea, just 1) you will complete, you want to choose video professor. You can get a full refund on shipping and everything. Once five people (don't even have to know them) complete the offer as well...you get an IPod. I sh*t you not.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
    #3521760 - 12/19/04 07:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You shouldnt need fungacides. Some like to pasteruize in an oven at 150-170.

For seedlings you shouldnt use that much pearlite because the roots are so small. Next time try cuting down on the pearlite and add 25% verm.

Those spines look a bit thin to be a torch, but it looks like a seedling and you cant id them as well when there young and imature. Could you get a better pic showing the spines more clearly?

Edited by Gr0wer (12/19/04 07:04 PM)

OfflineAelph
Playing in thedirt again

Loc: Metro Hotlanta
    #3521818 - 12/19/04 07:20 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

raSman said:
I recently acquired a lot of 100 peruvian torch seeds...
I planted the seeds in 1/2 potting mix (scotts w/osmocote time-release fertilizer) and 1/2 perlite. My question is: Do I need to use a fungacide? If so, would lime/limewater work?  :confused:

I suggest using 1/3 seed starter (sifted) and 2/3 coarse sand with a little lime sand put in for starting cactus seeds.  I wet it down and nuke it for about 10 minutes on high in the microwave.  Check on it to make sure all the water does not evaporate.  Let this cool down in the covered container that was nuked in.

Now if you place the cooled soil mix into clean pots with a clean spoon (clean pots and spoon with 1 part bleach to 10 parts water), lightly tamp it down, spread the seeds on top, spray the seeds lightly with distilled water and cover with plastic wrap.  I normally wrap the entire pot in plastic wrap and seal it with a rubberband.  I have found the chances of mold/alge taking over the pot is almost eliminated.

Another hint.... do NOT take to plastic wrap off the top to peer inside... this will cause fungus/alge to get a foothold.

OfflineraSman
Ethnobotanist InTraining

Re: Peruvian Torch Inquiry [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3521841 - 12/19/04 07:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i cannot get a clearer pic rite now, however i can try and describe.

the plant is about 9.5 cm tall...its spines are a yellowish brown color and the part from which the spines stem is white and increasingly fuzzy.

--------------------
Free Chain Of IPods

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #3521954 - 12/19/04 07:56 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Neither of those look like peruvianus to me. I just use potting soil plus some sand to grow mine in. Not saying sterilised soil isn't better, it is. I'm just saying that's how I've done it.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinenoodles
Student

Loc: valley of the sun
Re: Peruvian Torch Inquiry [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3522086 - 12/19/04 08:23 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

looks like echinocereus.

you shouldn't need fungicide. but if you ever do, its good to have it at hand to use immediately.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies