Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
how long do you think i could make 5000 last?
    #3520645 - 12/19/04 01:51 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

if i was to take a globetrotting trip with 5000 dollars to blow, roaming the globe paying for accomadations and food and all, in a less developed country like india, south america etc...

what do you think would be a realistic travel length?

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: how long do you think i could make 5000 last? [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3520652 - 12/19/04 01:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

it will last until the first time you get robbed :smile:

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: how long do you think i could make 5000 last? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #3520707 - 12/19/04 02:06 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'm saving 10 grand just for europe... But that's me. You can get on with less, but really, your trip is going to be a bit short. After travel fees, lodging, and you're 90% of the time going to be eating at restaurants, your money is going to go fast.

--------------------
delta9

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
Re: how long do you think i could make 5000 last? [Re: delta9]
    #3520737 - 12/19/04 02:16 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I think in a less developed country you can stretch that out for quite a while. You wont be living like a king, but you could probably make it a month or too if your frugel with your loot. I did Europe for nearly a month on 3500 and that included plane and train tickets. I think I may have actually spent less than that.

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3520757 - 12/19/04 02:23 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

If you're looking for good advices on globetrotting in undeveloped countries, you're not gonna find much answers here where people live in a society of consummation and don't have much of an idea of what "economical budget" means.

It means to pay only to stay alive. If you want 5000 dollars to last, you're going to have to be a real globetrotter, which means not going to hotels and restaurants, basically not wasting money.

I'm sure that if you know how to live in this state of mind, if you can easily make the shift from being an American to being a third world country inhabitant (which is probably quite difficult), then you could go on for quite a long time with 5000 dollars.

Can i remind everyone that some people live with less than a dollar a day on this planet?

--------------------

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Re: how long do you think i could make 5000 last? [Re: exclusive58]
    #3520894 - 12/19/04 03:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Oh come off it. I lived homeless for eight months. I know all about "economical budget" AND living on less than a dollar a WEEK.

I also grew up in Europe. While in many many places you will likely be able to find a youth hostel or other economical place to sleep, you will eventually hit places where ALL there is is hotels, and you're going to need to stay in them... And food WILL be expensive, because if you're living out of your bag (which I know all too well about) you're not exactly going to be cooking very often.

While in some countries your dollar will go a long way (especially some third world countries), if you're globe trotting, you'll eventually hit Europe, and the dollar isn't doing so well against the Euro right now!

--------------------
delta9

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3520954 - 12/19/04 03:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

well ya but he didn't mention he wanted to go to europe huh.

man, if i was to go globetrotting, there's no way i'd go 90 percent of the time in restaurants to eat. that is not economical. How the hell did your ass survive with less than a dollar a week with this kind of idea of what being economical is??

Offlinefungophiliac
militantpacifist
 User Gallery
Loc: yo mama
    #3521048 - 12/19/04 03:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

look if youve got 5 grand you can afford a good camp stove and a set of pots that are lightweight and what not. 1 hundred bucks for a good stove that will run on anytihng from leaded gas to jet fuel. buy from local markets wash your vegetables with clean water and cook for yourself. buy a hammock( lightweight and easy to hide in the woods. a tarp for the rain. treat it as if you were in the woods hiking. try to find food banks and travelers aid, if your in developed countries. if not try to hit up restaraunts for kitchen help in exchange for a meal. robbery is a concern. be safe. find out from local transients how to get along. stay out of the infrastructure as much as possible and youll find you can get by for quite a while. just my opinion

--------------------
why are there so many more horses asses than there are horses?

if you can't duck it, fuck it.
-the makers of duck tape

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

#3521092 - 12/19/04 03:57 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
well ya but he didn't mention he wanted to go to europe huh.

man, if i was to go globetrotting, there's no way i'd go 90 percent of the time in restaurants to eat. that is not economical. How the hell did your ass survive with less than a dollar a week with this kind of idea of what being economical is??

Jisse you're dense! When did I call that economical? My point is, travelling Europe is far from economical, it's downright expensive.

Seriously, explain how Joe from BumFuck, Kentucky is going to find food for cheap in, say, Italy, when he speaks no romantic languages... His *only* options for food are going to be stores and restaurants, more or less.

Of course, if you're doing the hike thing like the above poster, you can get by on a lot less. But if you're just "traveling", taking planes, trains, and whatever... You're likely also going to be in and around cities a lot - and with a language barrier, it's going to be kind of hard to "work for food".

So... My POINT is that for the average person from america, travelling in Europe is going to be expensive, period.

--------------------
delta9

OfflineShroom_Herder
Get In...
 User Gallery

Loc: Where The Magic Trees Gro...
    #3521130 - 12/19/04 04:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I can make 5000 last until I find someone who will sell me 5 pounds or more of weed with it...

Which is liek 10 minutes...

--------------------
We Can't Stop Here, This Is Bat Country

Offlinefungophiliac
militantpacifist
 User Gallery
Loc: yo mama
Re: how long do you think i could make 5000 last? [Re: Shroom_Herder]
    #3526010 - 12/20/04 10:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

well, joe from bumfuck better  damnwell learn how to speak to the people whose country he is touring or else he'll more than likely be in  a world of shit.  ast least take the time to find out how to talk to people about basic things get a little travel pocket manual or somethin.  find out "help, my cat ran off with my stash" in portugese for all i care but find out about key phrase whatever you feel you will need to at least attempt communication.  how many americans take edvantage of non english speaking peoples just because they dont speak it.?  think it would be any different to the local street markets in egypt? find out how to ask for the bathroom and if the cops will throw you in jail for sleeping out.  be safe and watch your back the world abroad can be very mishevious i hear. i also hear though that when attempts are made to be humble and get saturate3d with the culture, genuine miracles can happen.  5000 will last you till its gone. no way round that one. but find out what you really feel you want to spend it on. a train that will get you to the next museum or historic landmark, or a good set of gear that gets you there,hithchinking, three days later? up to you, whatever you do be smart and have fun, what else is 5000 good for (personally)  i woould want to go to india, for a month or 2. and then to egypt or ireland to blow my other 2500) :smile:

--------------------
why are there so many more horses asses than there are horses?

if you can't duck it, fuck it.
-the makers of duck tape

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: how long do you think i could make 5000 last? [Re: fungophiliac]
    #3526048 - 12/20/04 10:55 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

man, you really went into detail there.. I love it! You are on my wavelength with this once, but gave it more thought.. Cutting the hotel and restaurant costs out of travel will GREATLY extend your money.. Travel costs are pretty much inevitable.. Perhaps a bike would be a wise investment... Take trains and travel cheap, perhaps even make friends and hitch rides.. A lot can happen when you freeload, it is the karmic play of what the world will give back to you, a global judgment of the scene.

Robbery IS an issue.. Personally if I were to travel for months and had to carry cash, I would carry a concealed pistol at all times.. I wonder how cross country weapon licenses work??

Anyways, finding banks is a good idea that will be wherever you go.. That way you travel with minimal cash and a plastic card that could easily be replaced if lost.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3526068 - 12/20/04 11:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

india? not so "undeveloped".

i think thailand would be great for you. my step mom lived there in her hippy days for a decade and loved it. a family friend would work (driving trucks, $20 an hour) half the year and go there in teh summer/fall. he said he would live like a fuckign king for next to nothing. "maids" huge house with great veiw, trips you name it. it is so cheap tehre and still clean and luxurious. the problem is they often use these maids (ie hooker/cleaners) to rob people, gotta be carefull.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: how long do you think i could make 5000 last? [Re: 2Experimental]
    #3526263 - 12/20/04 11:56 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

A lot can happen when you freeload, it is the karmic play of what the world will give back to you, a global judgment of the scene.

:thumbup:

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineMikeyp
Stranger
    #3526390 - 12/21/04 12:53 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hi, I'm new here, but I know a little about this. If you're going to be traveling in less developed countries, especially central and south america you can make 5000 last a long time. I spent 5 months in Nicaragua, you just need to stay away from the very touristy spots. Restaraunt meals are from 1-3$, hotels are from 2-5$/night. In nicaragua and costa rica, in non-tourist areas. Bus tickets are 1$ an hour, approximately, 10 hours from Nicaragua to Costa Rica, 10$. Etc, prices are extremely low, stick to local food, its cheaper, and hotels without tvs, no amenities, just beds, it'll last a long time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale