Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
"Left wing media" go missing..
    #3485286 - 12/12/04 07:17 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Last week the US lost its 1,000th soldier killed in combat. Why did no one notice? Because the coalition wants to play down the carnage. Especially when it comes to civilians

By Andrew Buncombe, Severin Carrell and Raymond Whitaker
12 December 2004

A deadly milestone was reached in Iraq last week, and hardly anyone noticed. Captain Mark Stubenhofer of the US army's 41st Infantry Regiment, killed in a firefight on a street in Baghdad on Tuesday, was the 1,000th American to die in combat since the country was invaded nearly 21 months ago - yet none of the reports of his death mentioned the fact.

The reason? Only one news agency spotted that the Pentagon's official tally of deaths in action had reached 999, and that its latest casualty announcement meant that the toll was now in four figures. And when Capt Stubenhofer's name was released later, after his family had been informed, no news organisation made the connection, not even The Washington Post, which carried a story because his home town - Springfield, Virginia - is in its circulation area.

Thanks to a website that meticulously records coalition casualties, icasualties.org, we can see that Capt Stubenhofer was older and more senior than most US soldiers killed in Iraq, and that Baghdad, where he died, has claimed more American lives than anywhere else in the country. But because the most significant statistic was missed, there was no analysis of the cost of the conflict so far.

Two years ago, when the rush to war was becoming unstoppable, would we have thought twice if we had known how many Iraqis and non-Iraqis would die or be damaged? This question was not asked on the occasion of Mark Stubenhofer's death: and that is exactly how the Pentagon and the Ministry of Defence want it.

In the debate over casualties, the only clear-cut figures are those on coalition deaths, because the British and US governments know it would be impossible to suppress them. But as icasualties.org makes clear, the Pentagon "certainly doesn't go out of its way to divulge" the number of losses. "We are told that during the Korean and Vietnam wars, the names and numbers of dead AND injured were available from the government," it adds. "No longer."

In 2003 the White House issued a directive banning reporters from attending the return of coffins containing the bodies of US troops to Dover Air Force base in Delaware. A Freedom of Information Act loophole, which forced the release of some photographs of such returns, was closed, and a civilian worker who took pictures of coffins aboard an aircraft in Kuwait was sacked.

What neither Britain nor the US wants, however, is for anyone to dwell on the much greater numbers of military personnel who have returned with physical or mental injuries. Thanks to medical advances, particularly in battlefield treatment, for every US soldier killed in Iraq nine more have been wounded and survived, the highest ratio ever. But media access to military hospitals such as Walter Reed in Washington or Landstuhl in Germany is tightly controlled. Officials at Landstuhl said last month that doctors had treated 17,878 injured or sick US troops from Iraq.

Getting figures from the MoD about the exact number of British injured in the Iraq conflict is very difficult, and no breakdown on the cause of those injuries is obtainable. Official figures are patchy.

At least the coalition members collect figures for their own casualties. What outraged a group of more than 40 diplomats, peers, scientists and churchmen who petitioned Tony Blair last week is that they make no effort to count the far higher totals of Iraqi civilians killed and injured. The Prime Minister brushed off their demand for an independent inquiry into the toll, saying figures from the Iraqi Ministry of Health "are in our view the most accurate survey there is".

But the ministry, which says 3,853 civilians were killed between April and October this year, has no figures for the preceding period, and many of those killed in Iraq never go to a hospital. Since it is well known that civilians were an increasing proportion of fatalities in conflicts during the 20th century - rising from 15 per cent in the First World War to 90 per cent in the "low-intensity" wars in Africa, East Timor and the former Yugoslavia, according to Barbara Ehrenreich in her 1997 book, Blood Rites - it is hard to escape the conclusion that Washington and London simply do not want to know the figures, to avoid the political fallout they could create.

The thinking became clear from the response of a spokeswoman for the Pentagon, Lt-Col Ellen Krenke, when The Independent on Sunday asked about numbers of Iraqi dead. "It is something that is not done," she said. "We just never have. We keep count of our own, but not the enemy." We were asking about civilians, we pointed out. "No," she said, "we don't do that either."

Additional reporting by Cub Barrett

COUNTING THE COST

The total of coalition soldiers killed in Iraq by combat and other causes, including accidents. Britain has lost 74 troops, 37 in action; at least 190 non-Iraqi civilian contractors have also died.

The minimum estimate of "additional deaths" among Iraqi civilians caused by the war, according to a study whose methods have been attacked by the Government. Iraqbodycount.net, which uses press reports and other data, has a much lower estimate of 14,620 to 16,805, but says it is hampered by deteriorating security. Other estimates are 10,000 to 27,000 (Brookings Institution) and at least 37,000 (People's Kifah, an Iraqi group).

The number of troops medically evacuated to Britain up to 18 November. By 31 August, 79 soldiers had been medically retired, including 19 with mental illness and 27 with accidental injuries. The MoD could not give us more up-to-date figures.

The official figure for British personnel in Iraq diagnosed with mental health problems, including 52 with post-traumatic stress disorder. But that was only up until February; welfare organisations estimate the total is now at least 800.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=592328

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: "Left wing media" go missing.. [Re: Xlea321]
    #3485355 - 12/12/04 08:44 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Two years ago, when the rush to war was becoming unstoppable, would we have thought twice if we had known how many Iraqis and non-Iraqis would die or be damaged?

The left wing media is asleep at the wheel. I have never heard this term "rush to war". I was unaware that people even died in war. I was shocked to find out that going to war and taking over a country with tens of millions of people would cost lives. This is the coverup of the millenium.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: "Left wing media" go missing.. [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3485500 - 12/12/04 10:34 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JesusChrist said:
Quote:

Two years ago, when the rush to war was becoming unstoppable, would we have thought twice if we had known how many Iraqis and non-Iraqis would die or be damaged?

The left wing media is asleep at the wheel. I have never heard this term "rush to war". I was unaware that people even died in war. I was shocked to find out that going to war and taking over a country with tens of millions of people would cost lives. This is the coverup of the millenium.

Bush supporters need to be reminded of the death toll, etc.. You need to be reminded of the price paid for what we've done. Your support made it possible.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Johnny Price- Marijuana, The Devil Flower

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: "Left wing media" go missing.. [Re: Learyfan]
    #3485662 - 12/12/04 11:59 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

My support too. And I'm quite proud of it

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: "Left wing media" go missing.. [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3485781 - 12/12/04 12:55 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
My support too. And I'm quite proud of it

That's really sad, but you are free to support what you want to support.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Johnny Price- Marijuana, The Devil Flower

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion