Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
If a left wing rag like Time magazine gets it....
    #3156742 - 09/20/04 06:24 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

...why can't the rest?

Heather Mac Donald.
Time to Take Illegal Immigration Seriously
The newsweekly dramatically breaks with elite orthodoxy. | 16 September 2004

The cover says it all: two fists ripping a hole in the American flag. And with that striking image, Time magazine just may have started a revolution in the mainstream press?s attitude towards illegal immigration.

For decades, public outrage over illegal immigration met only scorn or indifference from the elite media. The New York Times recently dismissed opponents of border trespassing as the
? ?what part of illegal don?t you understand? crowd.? But with its September 20 cover story, WHO LEFT THE DOOR OPEN?, Time magazine has crossed over to the other side. The 9,000-plus-word article meticulously documents the destruction wrought by illegal aliens. More important, it seethes with indignation at the Bush administration?s unwillingness to stop that destruction. The story?s tone?calling border trespassers ?invaders,? who seek to ?mask their unlawful presence??was once confined to the ghetto of talk radio. No longer. And if Time?that venerable voice of the establishment?can fume that it is ?outrageously easy to sneak in,? maybe politicians will start to pay attention when the public voices the same complaint.

WHO LEFT THE DOOR OPEN? explodes every myth that open-borders proponents churn out. The most crucial one is the ?we can?t turn off the flow? myth. According to this lie, the border invasion is an unstoppable fact of nature that has nothing to do with government action or inaction. The only solution, say the apologists, is to legalize illegality.

Time is having none of it. ?Who?s to blame for all the intruders?? the magazine asks. ?The problem is one of the U.S.?s own making. The government doesn?t want to fix it.? The biggest cause of border trespassing, argues Time, is the government?s decades-long refusal to enforce the law against employing illegal aliens. Simple solutions?like a fraud-proof Social Security card?have never been tried.

Second biggest myth of the open-borders advocates: illegals take jobs Americans spurn. Wrong again, says Time. It?s bottom-of-the-barrel wage rates, not hard work, that American workers reject.

Third myth: illegal aliens are an economic plus for the country because they cheerfully provide inexpensive services that raise everyone?s standard of living. Give me a break! guffaws Time. WHO LEFT THE DOOR OPEN? catalogues the costs to the public: increased risk of terrorism; local hospitals driven out of business by border interlopers demanding free care; police forces and county jails reeling under the burden of illegal-alien rapists, murderers, bank robbers, and car thieves; Southwestern ranchers and homeowners who daily face ?revolting mounds of personal refuse? on their property, not to mention broken fences and missing property; and a corrosive assault on the ?U.S. tradition of encouraging legal immigration.?

Fourth myth: the demonization of Proposition 187. No lie is dearer to the elite press than the charge that only a nativist bigot would object to illegals? exploitation of America?s public largesse. So California?s 1994 passage of Proposition 187?denying taxpayer-funded goods like free education and free hospital treatment to illegal aliens?has until now been characterized as one of the darkest moments in America?s long history of racism towards ?people of color.? And along comes Time and actually sympathizes with public anger over the illegal capture of benefits. The government?s failure to enforce immigration laws ?breeds anger and resentment among citizens who can?t understand why illegal aliens often receive government-funded health care, education benefits and subsidized housing,? says the magazine. Presumably, Time is not joining the assault on a current Arizona referendum to require proof of citizenship for voting and welfare receipt?a cheeky populist demand to obey existing law.

Time?s groundbreaking story shreds the Bush administration?s justification for its recent amnesty proposal: we?ve tried enforcement of entry laws, and it doesn?t work. No, responds Time: neither yours nor any previous administration has ever tried enforcement. And what is worse, notes the magazine, the recent amnesty proposal has served only to double the rate of illegal entry.

The lock on elite opinion has been broken. Let the debate begin.

web page

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: If a left wing rag like Time magazine gets it.... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #3156778 - 09/20/04 06:32 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

This all goes back to Lou Dobbs and his Liberal employers.

Conspiracy.

--------------------

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #3156999 - 09/20/04 07:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

umm didnt bush want to let more mexicans in here?? and open the borders?

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: If a left wing rag like Time magazine gets it.... [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #3157020 - 09/20/04 07:39 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, that's to provide cheap labor for his big corporate buddies, while pandering to the 'hispanic' lobby (and illegal alien voters looking for a handout) - a winning political proposition that democrats have long been exploiting here in California.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#3157032 - 09/20/04 07:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

So you didn't read the article then. Why would you post in a thread where it's painfully obvious you hadn't even taken the time to read the first post?

Yes the Bush administration are fucked up in this regard. That's one of the things that those who actually are conservative find abhorrent about him.

Perhaps were you more interested in actually reading instead of merely seeking another opportunity to appear witty, you'd have seen that's one of the things Time points out.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #3157037 - 09/20/04 07:43 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Once again, an impassioned Fuck You to Florida.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #3157043 - 09/20/04 07:45 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Second biggest myth of the open-borders advocates: illegals take jobs Americans spurn. Wrong again, says Time. It?s bottom-of-the-barrel wage rates, not hard work, that American workers reject.

isn't that what the 'free market' is all about? isn't this the sort of way people argue for the minimum wage that you abhor?

Quote:

Third myth: illegal aliens are an economic plus for the country because they cheerfully provide inexpensive services that raise everyone?s standard of living. Give me a break! guffaws Time.

again, from a libertarian free market perspective, isn't this a pretty logical argument? although "Give me a break! guffaws Time." is a pretty convincing counterargument.

Quote:

The most crucial one is the ?we can?t turn off the flow? myth. According to this lie, the border invasion is an unstoppable fact of nature that has nothing to do with government action or inaction. The only solution, say the apologists, is to legalize illegality.

Time is having none of it. ?Who?s to blame for all the intruders?? the magazine asks. ?The problem is one of the U.S.?s own making. The government doesn?t want to fix it.?

sounds like a DEA arguing against drug legalization...

Oh and for the record, the far right and far left agree on trying to stop illegal immigration.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: If a left wing rag like Time magazine gets it.... [Re: Tao]
    #3157053 - 09/20/04 07:48 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Perhaps I've missed it. Where have you seen the far left, and not wackjobs, fighting to have the borders tightened?

Seriously... I'd like to see.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3157059 - 09/20/04 07:49 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TaoTeChing said:
Quote:

isn't that what the 'free market' is all about? isn't this the sort of way people argue for the minimum wage that you abhor?

This is yet another reason for repealing minimum wage laws. This will get rid of any incentive employers have for hiring illegals over American citizens.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: If a left wing rag like Time magazine gets it.... [Re: silversoul7]
    #3157071 - 09/20/04 07:51 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

This is yet another reason for repealing minimum wage laws. This will get rid of any incentive employers have for hiring illegals over American citizens.

assuming that the illegals are being paid below minimum wage, which they are not necessarily. i think the article is referring to legal bottom-of-the-barrel wages (aka the minimum wage).

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #3157081 - 09/20/04 07:54 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Perhaps I've missed it. Where have you seen the far left, and not wackjobs, fighting to have the borders tightened?

Seriously... I'd like to see.

i get time in the mail man...i have that issue, read it last week....anyhoo the cover picture is a goatse rip off

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#3157088 - 09/20/04 07:55 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Let's assume for the sake of arguement they are talking minimum wage jobs. These jobs won't simply go away. People who want their lawns mowed will most likely still wish to have their lawns mowed. People who need services will still need them. I suspect wages would rise to the point where these jobs will be filled.

--------------------

OfflineTao
Village Genius

#3157099 - 09/20/04 07:58 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

what about the 'third myth'?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#3157101 - 09/20/04 07:58 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

So you allegedly read it, yet both here and in the article you missed the part about the Bush admin and their not being willing to take the necessary steps?

Excellent display of lack of comprehension.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#3157108 - 09/20/04 08:01 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TaoTeChing said:
what about the 'third myth'?

What about it?

--------------------

OfflineTao
Village Genius

#3157140 - 09/20/04 08:12 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

do you agree with the author's stance/'reasoning'?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#3157168 - 09/20/04 08:18 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

This?

Give me a break! guffaws Time. WHO LEFT THE DOOR OPEN? catalogues the costs to the public: increased risk of terrorism; local hospitals driven out of business by border interlopers demanding free care; police forces and county jails reeling under the burden of illegal-alien rapists, murderers, bank robbers, and car thieves; Southwestern ranchers and homeowners who daily face ?revolting mounds of personal refuse? on their property, not to mention broken fences and missing property; and a corrosive assault on the ?U.S. tradition of encouraging legal immigration.?
Not being able to read your mind I'll say... yes. I agree there is a great cost from admitting those described.

I'll also say that obviously not everyone who enters the country illegally is like that.

Yet I want all whose first act is to enter the country illegally to be shipped back. Put the National Guard on the borders, give those crossing 1 verbal warning to turn around. If they don't..... shoot them.

--------------------

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park, Space Hunter

#3157394 - 09/20/04 09:19 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Who's pro-illegal immigrants on this board?

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: If a left wing rag like Time magazine gets it.... [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #3157414 - 09/20/04 09:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I have two questions for you...

Is that Will Farrel in your avatar.

And who is that in your signature.

--------------------

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park, Space Hunter

Re: If a left wing rag like Time magazine gets it.... [Re: Zahid]
    #3157464 - 09/20/04 09:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, it is Will Farrel as Gene Frenkle in the Blue Oyster cult. The signature is of Bob Ross, a personal hero of mine and famous painter.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion