Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinephi1618
old hand

myth of the media
    #2608257 - 04/27/04 09:37 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Many people who post on this board believe that there is a liberal bias in "the media".

I believe that this belief is faulty for the simple reason that there is no monolithic media, but rather many unaffiliated media outlets publishing in many different mediums, some of which have a consistent political bias and some of which are more schitzophrenic or indifferent in their politics.

My own impression of the news I see and hear (I don't get cable) is that some programs on ABC, NBC, and CBS have good reporting, seem generally politically centrist, but are unlikely to report on anything controversial. FOX is politically to the right, and doesn't have any major news programs in the vein of 60 minutes; PBS has many programs that tend to lean left, and others that deal with finances and business (I don't watch those much) that may lean a bit more right.

The two major local papers have a clear conservative bias where I live, but so does most of the populace (I live in a predominantly Republican area). There is a free, advertising supported, paper that is distinctively and unabashedly liberal, but is generally only distributed in liberal areas of the city.

I also read the Economist, a conservative English weekly, and Scientific American, which doesn't generally deal with polical issues but might be considered liberal, as it finds itself opposed to "religious conservatives".

I also frequent the (very popular) website slashdot.org, "news for nerds", that has a very strong political basis, but one that is far outside the mainstream of political thought in the US. Liberal, I guess? Radical, in any case.

If you believe that there is a liberal bias in "the media", what do you mean? What media?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: myth of the media [Re: phi1618]
    #2608329 - 04/27/04 09:57 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I wish you the best with your little thread here...

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2608344 - 04/27/04 10:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i always htought of the media as the medium the govt and companies use to suggest ideas to us. kind of keep us wrapped up in the hoopla and paranoia that they want us to be in. you know...a distraction

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: myth of the media [Re: kaiowas]
    #2608450 - 04/27/04 10:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

FUD

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleTrueBrode
Stranger

#2608451 - 04/27/04 10:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

There is a liberal bias when it comes to social issues. That is undeniable. This is coupled with the fact that Democrats and liberals are politically correct cry-babies that exploit sensitive topics to gain favor.

However when it comes to governmental affairs (non-social), there is NO bias. There never has been, and there probably never will be under this two party control system. The government already controls the content of major media outlets like radio and tV. They're gunning for the internet next with recent obscenity laws. In essence, you're only seeing, hearing and reading what they allow you to see, hear and read. Do you know what it takes to get into the White House Press Staff? Notice how Worldnetdaily got White House access when Bush came into power- because Clinton sure as hell was not going to let them in.

Let's take the war in Iraq, as a contemporary example. We really don't know what the hell is going on over there. We have limited knowledge. So we hear that a bomb goes off in Najaf, and two people die. Well there are millions of other people over there, and Iraq is the size of California. So what do we really know? Maybe everyone else is waving American flags in the streets.

The current administration dictates much of what we know of the Iraq war. For example, the Bush Administration chose to let "journalist embeds" travel with certain troops. What a brilliant move that was. They choose which troops the embed travels with. So now joe blow sitting home on his couch thinks he knows what the war is like because he saw a portion that was obviously favorable for the White House to let him see in the first place.

And this is the way it usually goes with information about everything- reporters always go to the White House and government for answers. Government has the power to dictate a lot of what you know, and the government is a bedfellow of the media. Never forget that.

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: myth of the media [Re: TrueBrode]
    #2609092 - 04/28/04 12:07 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

There is a liberal bias when it comes to social issues.

This is exactly what I'm talking about! Your sentence lacks a subject!

There is a liberal bias in .... what? The media? What media?

What do the Economist, 60 minutes, Rush Limbaugh, and Howard Stern have in common? They are all part of "the media".

So, I not only deny your undeniable proposition, I claim that it is inherently flawed and lacks any definate meaning.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2609890 - 04/28/04 02:55 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Many people who post on this board believe that there is a liberal bias in "the media".

Many of them believe there's a "liberal bias" ON THIS BOARD  :laugh:

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: myth of the media [Re: Xlea321]
    #2610400 - 04/28/04 04:49 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

There are some (1) people who claim that this board has a conservative bias.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2610456 - 04/28/04 05:47 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Of course there is a liberal bias in the American media. That is not equivalent to saying that all American media are liberal.

ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, PBS, NPR, the New York Times, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times -- all are quite obviously left-leaning. FOX is right-leaning, as are the top "talk radio" hosts, and the Washington Times and at least the editorial page of the Wall Street Journal.

If you yourself are left-leaning, then the only bias you tend to notice is that of FOX News and Limbaugh and Coulter and Hannity and O'Reilly -- you tend not to pick up on the one-sidedness of the presentation given to current events by the others, because it fits smoothly with your own worldview. Nothing jumps out at you.

Admittedly, the left-leaning group is not left-leaning 100% of the time. Once in a blue moon a John Stossel or a Charles Gibson will break ranks for a few minutes before settling back into the routine -- see the recent "Good Morning America" interview with John Kerry over his medal-tossing event as an example. That was just too juicy a topic for the entire mainstream media to ignore forever. But even then, Gibson caved to Kerry's shouts and bluster and interruptions and let him off the hook. Gibson reverted to form. Too bad, but whaddya gonna do?

If it pleases you to believe the major news outlets in the US are in fact even handed, that is of course your right.

pinky

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: myth of the media [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2611086 - 04/28/04 01:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

There are some (1) people who claim that this board has a conservative bias.

You mean only one left?  :laugh:

Or does that "one" include others like Annapurna who got tired of putting up with the overwhelming right-wing bias on the board? I've had 5 people email me and tell me they couldn't stand it anymore.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2611111 - 04/28/04 01:16 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Can't stand to be dissagreed with can we?

Sorry bub, this website isn't right wing, you're just so left wing even left wingers seem right wing to you.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2611116 - 04/28/04 01:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Can't stand to be dissagreed with can we?

Nope, I'm still here remember. Think it would be blatantly obvious to even the dullest among us that if I couldn't stand to be disagreed with I'd have left by now.  :laugh:

Sorry bub, this website isn't right wing

Sorry bub, but it is. Like I said, 5 people have already left and emailed me to say how biased the board is. How many people on the hard left still post here?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2611142 - 04/28/04 01:29 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

They left because of insufficient pandering to the left. Try going to a real right wing board to get an idea what I'm talking about.

There is a very broad spectrum of opinions here from hard left to hard right, with most falling left of center. I do wish we had a more liberal mod in this forum, but Rono is either unavailable or uninterested.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2611155 - 04/28/04 01:35 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

They left because of insufficient pandering to the left

I think were a *just a little* more intelligent than that. None of them were looking for any "pandering" (pandering from who btw? You, luv, enima and pinkie?) just a change from being shouted down by the same right-wingers in every thread.

Try going to a real right wing board to get an idea what I'm talking about.

I do. KKK boards, Nazi boards. And I'd still put this board way to the right.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2611325 - 04/28/04 02:26 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:
... I'd still put this board way to the right.

:wtf: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Anonymous

#2611357 - 04/28/04 02:40 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i have to say that i think alex is right on this one.

in sheer numbers, there may be more left-leaners here, but in terms of frequent, familiar members, i think there are more righties than lefties.

as far as a 'bias', i'm not sure what is meant by that. i think that this board is generally dominated by libertarians, but i wouldn't call it a 'bias'.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2611360 - 04/28/04 02:41 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Sorry bub, this website isn't right wing, you're just so left wing even left wingers seem right wing to you.

:thumbup:

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2611362 - 04/28/04 02:43 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I do. KKK boards, Nazi boards.

Is that where Annapurna got her "corporate feminism" ideas?

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: myth of the media [Re: silversoul7]
    #2611407 - 04/28/04 02:58 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Did you know that Joseph Stalin was a rabid right winger?

Or at least he was to the right of Alex.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: myth of the media [Re: Evolving]
    #2611415 - 04/28/04 03:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yup. And Peter Jennings is a dirty neocon.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion