Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDubiousDuo
Furtive Recapitulator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here
A little thing called diffusion.
    #3446307 - 12/04/04 06:08 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

When making a fruiting chamber, if one does not have air circulation it would be presumable that holes covered by tyvek would permit gas exchange. I have seen people post that these holes should be just above the casing layer. My question is this, does diffusion not take place no matter where the holes are, meaning that holes in the lid would allow for just as much air exchange, so as  the ratios of components of air inside chamber is equal to that outside, other than those contams and water because tyvek is hydrophobic i believe. What do u scientists out there think? It seems more efficient to just have holes in a lid rather than in the tub ( which could be used in TiT, not so however if it has holes in the side. :rocket:

--------------------
We must make an idol of our fear and call it god!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: A little thing called diffusion. [Re: DubiousDuo]
    #3446340 - 12/04/04 06:15 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

no. c02 is heavier then air. it rests at the bottom, therefore you want them around the casing level to diffuse that c02 out. the holes on top would be for difusing just air as it the c02 is at the bottom.

and no, tyvek is not hydrophobic. infact it permits water exchange, that is why specificaly its used in house wrapping. It prevents wind but it will allow moisture to permiate through.

OfflineDubiousDuo
Furtive Recapitulator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here
Re: A little thing called diffusion. [Re: lesstutrey]
    #3446416 - 12/04/04 06:34 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

hmm CO2 being heavier than simply O2? air is a gaseous mixture so i assumed it would diffuse, regardless of atomic weight, any physics people know?? i thought air mixtures will diffuse evenly, regadless of the components molecular weight. tyvek seems to be atleast semipermeable, otherwise jars would dry out after a while. which i guess they do, but not drastically.

--------------------
We must make an idol of our fear and call it god!

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3446854 - 12/04/04 08:08 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Dibuousduo: Yes gases are miscible in all proportions, but that only holds true if there is some type of current. If let to rest, gases will layer.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
    #3446937 - 12/04/04 08:23 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Molecular weight does have an effect, and "air mixtures" don't diffuse evenly, because that's exactly what they are - air mixtures...except the CO2 comprises the bottom part of that mixture in a sealed environment because the CO2 gas is heavier than air...

In a winery, CO2 is often used to "top" a tank...that is, put a CO2 hose in the opening at the top, and turn on your source...you will feel air rushing out at you for sure...but its O2, not CO2.

What derx said basically...
Peace
AD

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Edited by ADoobie (12/04/04 08:25 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation