Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJesusWeed
Loc: mid south
Shitake Kit
    #342896 - 06/17/01 03:57 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Hi all, I ordered a Shitake Kit from Fungi Perfecti.. Well I followed all the directions to the T and developed green mold real bad. Then I did what the directions said, and let it dry out for two days(i went 3) then take a high pressure hose and squirt the mold off. let it dry for 2 more days.... Well After I sprayed the mold off, it grew back the next day where I had sprayed the other off, I thought my air exchange or temp in the room was to high. I moved it to another place that was cooler and had air circulation. Well dunked the cake, covered it with my humidity tent and two days later......More Mold....

I am waiting on a syringe of p cubs, and I don't want this to happen to those...

Any suggestions..... I really want to be successful at growing all kinds of mushrooms...and not afraid to spend a little money to do it right....

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
Re: Shitake Kit [Re: JesusWeed]
    #342911 - 06/17/01 04:26 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

The directions told you to dry the mold out and squirt it off? Are you joking? That sounds very unprofessional to me. Maybe instead they could figure out how to sterilize their subs..

What about the healthy crops you need to work with? It appears anyone ordering FP patches needs to have quarantine fruiting chambers well away from their healthy crops.

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#343697 - 06/18/01 03:45 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Hmm. That is an odd recommendation from FP. Did they give that info over the phone or was it in the documentation?

I ordered a maitake kit that went bad pretty quickly. After calling the place and explaining what happened, they shipped out a replacement immediately. Shiitake should be fairly resilient; assuming the sides of the bag are not contaminated [no air gaps down the sides] you should be able to get something out of the bad one.

I've never tried this, but it might be worth removing the block and cutting the top inch or so off. Depending on your equipment, maybe even cutting the top portion off with the bag still intact. If there's significant drying, you can submerge this block for a day or so and then put in an appropriate fruiting chamber.

Again, a lot of what you 'could' do will depend on what you 'can' do and what equipment you have. There is a lot of potential left in a FP kit that gets surface contamination.

But again, their customer service/replacement policies have been great in my experience.

I only eat veils

OfflineAkoplan
journeyman
Re: Shitake Kit [Re: Suntzu]
    #343897 - 06/18/01 08:35 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I got a log from:

http://www.herbalmedicinebag.com/shiitake_mushroom_log.htm

A little expensive but I got lots of mushrooms off of it. They taste like meat when you cook them in butter. I can't wait till the next time it rains.

OfflineJesusWeed
Re: Shitake Kit [Re: Akoplan]
    #344058 - 06/18/01 11:38 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Akoplan how do you keep your log at 65F???

Thanks

JW

Crobih is my Founder of the Shroomery!

http://go.to/FreeSporeRing

OfflineAkoplan
journeyman
    #344427 - 06/19/01 01:35 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I live in upstate NY. We have a lot of days of mid 60's. I keep the log out behind my shed, in the shade.

When I first got the log it was early Feb. I soaked it overnight in a bucket of water. I kept it in a clear tupperware box on a bed of moist perlite in the basement. I opened the box to air it out several times a day. Within 2 weeks I had my first and only indoor crop, about 6 to 8 mushrooms. I moved the log outside in mid April. I have had 2 more 'flushs' since then. I will most likely have to wait till fall to get any more.

Offlineamanita
addict
Loc: UK
Re: Shitake Kit [Re: Akoplan]
    #344584 - 06/19/01 06:28 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Log culture is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately the logs I inoculated with FP's plug spawn have never fruited, and it seems like it was a duff strain or the spawn was damaged in the mail.

Otherwise I have a lovely Scottish strain which is very productive in alder or birch logs. We inoculated several hundred logs with sawdust spawn and they are fruiting most excellently.

OfflineAkoplan
journeyman
Re: Shitake Kit [Re: amanita]
    #344654 - 06/19/01 07:58 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Want to get rid of some? PM me.

OfflineJesusWeed
Re: Shitake Kit [Re: Suntzu]
    #344716 - 06/19/01 09:04 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah Suntzu, That was in the printed documentation, I have my replacement shitake kit in my refrigerator right now. in 3 more days I will take it out and soak in rain water for 24 hours, then cover with a humidity tent and mist and keep 80F and 3-6 days mushrooms will grow.......according to the directions.

I will let you all know what happens!!

So far I have not had a good experience with this kit.

Peace

Crobih is my Founder of the Shroomery!

http://go.to/FreeSporeRing

OfflineAzure
old hand
Loc: California, USA
Re: Shitake Kit [Re: amanita]
    #347127 - 06/23/01 01:00 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

that's weird, Amanita, because I got the same plugs from FP and they grew quite vigorously. I've had several fruitings off my logs, although they were rather small flushes. However, the flushes should get bigger in the fall now that the log has been thoroughly colonized.

OfflineAugustus
Stranger
Re: Shitake Kit [Re: Azure]
    #352648 - 07/01/01 08:23 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

My first shiitake kit from fp also developed green mold. By the time I washed the mold off (out) there was a big hollow spot, the mold returned and I chucked it.
The second one is doing ok. I had abhorts the first initiation, then it got pretty dry for about three weeks. I put it in the fridge for another couple of weeks... Then I immersed it in spring water, but I could tell it didn't really absorb much water, and since there was a hot spell... I put it back in the fridge for a couple more weeks. Then I soaked it again for almost 48 hours in the fridge and quickly got some strange puffy stuff that was not very firm, like a marshmallow that you crisped and then toasted the middle again after eating the outside skin off. I cut these growths as close to the surface of the kit as possible, along with the first two. I picked them before they opened.
I altered the humidity from about 95-65 and made sure no standing water at the base of the kit. I even sat the kit on top of a large yogurt lid and positioned it over a channel in the clear plastic box, that way the kit has almost 1/4 inch clearance all around the bottom edge and the stand itself can drain underneath and get air circulation even.
I will drill some holes in the bottom of the box, but for now I wipe up the extra water that collects in the corner. To follow the rule of no standing water, you should tilt the box and position a drain hole at the lowest points.
To alter the humidity I use a small air pump into the yogurt container with a good two inch layer of pearlite, a spray bottle and I crack the lid of the box more or less. The temperature has not risen above 80F or below 65F.
Outside air humidity between 45-65, usually 55. The trick is to deliver water to the kit but allow the skin to dry in between, while maintaining a margin of humidity in the chamber. The air pump pearlite humidifier supplies excellent primordia formation humidity while the lid is closed, but not enough when the lid is cracked. I have begun to keep it on during fruit formation as supplemental humidity. I have a cool mist and intend to automate my spray bottle task. Shiitake can withstand a spray, so direct misting nozzles could be employed.
Bottom line, no standing water and cycle the humidity levels.
I added a bit of food grade 30% H2O2 to the water in the bubbler, maybe up to 1:10 ratio, with no problems.
Because I varied the humidity level, even allowing it to peak at 99% for a few hours a day, the second wave of seven primoriated with no abhorts and a third is cracking, just waiting to jump out. So far so good...
If I were going to automate the whole process, I would spray, vent the air to 65%rh or hits a floor for some amount of time, stop venting (only the low level bubbler is active) to 99% or hits a roof for some amount of time, then repeat. I would throw an alarm if the duration of each stage exceeds a certain amount of time.
hmm... I did, I just invented a new tek! how about "continual crop tek"?
Have no idea how reliable method is.

OfflineALDER_057
addict

#353356 - 07/11/01 09:11 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I along w' psylocybe cubensis ordered the pink oyster kits and we both got trichoderma out the ass!!
I think it's time they clean there facilities.

FREE SPORE RING
Micron Magick
Drug Dealing & Trading Forum

--------------------
Drug Dealing & Trading Forum

OfflineAugustus
Stranger
Re: Shitake Kit [Re: Augustus]
    #353996 - 07/13/01 12:57 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I had this great message posted, and when I went to edit it three or four times it wouldn't return to preview. I got some "too many users..." error, a whole screen. Ahwell, I'll just summarize then.
All mushrooms were light brown, subsequent flushes are supposed to be darker.
I had some mold growing from where I cut off the spongy growths. Turns out it was rotting... I wiped it up and kept it clean. I used a clorox wipe on the areas. The mold seemed contained to just those areas.

OfflineAugustus
Stranger
    #354402 - 07/13/01 09:17 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

It wasn't the green mold. It was regular bread mold. Finished soaking, will see how the next flush turns out. Hope the weather doesn't heat up.
Round Two coming up... ding!

btw the supplied humidity tent didn't work very well, too dry here I think... maybe I didn't soak it long enough?

OfflineAugustus
Stranger
    #359257 - 07/23/01 04:48 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

A little too soggy at first this time. Two mushrooms formed, one large and one medium. Had to wipe mold (no, not the green stuff) off the outside in a few spots. After adjusting for humidity, mold encroachment subsided. I sprayed the top lightly once a day with spring water. Optimum humidity seemed from 75-85%. Will try again, this time with cold shock. Five tiny mushrooms sprouted from houseplant that was watered with first soak water.

OfflineAugustus
Stranger
    #359261 - 07/23/01 04:57 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

The interesting thing is, the excised area around the rotten base of the spongy growths from the first flush was at first showing white mycelial colonization of exposed wood chip surfaces, but then when the block became too soggy, these "craters" began oozing some sort of clear exudate. I didn't notice any mold near to the liquid stuff. I sopped it up anyway and that's when I stopped watering as much and lowered the humidity average. At this time, the mushrooms grew at a much higher growth rate. Maybe they just jump when they hit a certain size or age, but they seemed discernably happier to me.
I was thinking that the spongy, undifferentiated growths generated during the first flush were the result of soggy block.

OfflineAugustus
Stranger
    #368906 - 08/08/01 05:01 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Just one this time, looks like there might be some more in there.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags