Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Mycobags, Petri Dish, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSearch59
Yet anotherhobby for me.

The PFtek: BRF vs WOOD vs COIR-VERM experiment. BlackPoplar & Shiitake
    #3425907 - 11/30/04 01:31 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

The experiment consists of three substrates.

-Brown Rice Flower and Verm. Ratio:(1/4 brown rice flower, 1/4 water, 2/3 verm)

-Wood. Straight from mycobag.com opened up a mycobag, and added a little bit of water. (to make it moist)

-60/40 Coir/Verm. With 5% volume Calcium Carbonate.
600ml of moist well mixed coir added to 400ml of dry verm, and 50ml of Calcium carbonate, all mixed well together. Water added after mixed to make all moist, to the point where a few drops of water come out of a squeezed handfull.

All jars were done PF tek style. With the top later of pure verm.

I will post more images, when 24 hours has past, due to the upload limit.

When this is done, this first post will have the whole process from start to end(fruiting, if possible) with images.

ALL jars were PC'd for 45 minutes, allowed to fully cool.
Each jar was inoculated using OVEN TEK thru holes in jar lids.(can't be too carefull)
All jars are incubated in total darkness at temps from 75deg up to 80deg (varies based on time of day.
Pictures will be put here once any show anything.
I also started TWO 1lb mycobags of BlackPoplar along side to test if I did something wrong by PCing the wood.
Also, peroxide agar petri cultures were started of both poplar and shiitaki. **OOPS, this won't work, due to spores not mycelium** I'll see if it works anyway. Prolly not. I will have to wait till I have mycelium from one of the substrates to clone on peroxide agar petri.

---------------------------------------------------------------UPDATE:

The peroxide petri dishes must have killed the BP and taki spores, because I see no growth.

--BlackPoplar--

The wood mycobags of BP are showing no growth as of yet.

The RICE/VERM jars of BP are showing the BEST GROWTH of all BP jars.

One of the two BP COIR/VERM jar is showing signs of growth, but looks kinda sick. And at the bottom of the jar theres one spot that looks like contam. The other jar has no growth or contams.

The wood jar of BP has no growth visible.

--SHIITAKI--

The RICE/VERM jar of Shiitaki is showing the BEST GROWTH of all taki jars.

The COIR/VERM jar of Taki is showing no growth at all.

The WOOD jar of Taki is showing signs of some growth.

SO after 3 days of growth, the RICE/VERM mix is showing the best growth of all. This may be true for the mycelium stage, but the results of the pinning/fruiting stage may be very different.
Well see.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------UPDATE--------------11-DEC-04

12 days after spore injection.

BLACK POPLAR:
The BRF are going AWESOME, best jars of all substrates, and even all taki.

The Coir is either contaminated(most likely) or there is very whispy mycelial growth throughout. I think its 100% contam due to the other coir jars of taki not showing anything, and the late arrival of the growth. Im sure my PH is wayyy off in this jar, we will see. Why else would NOTHING grow in it, even different strains.

The wood, is showing NO growth, NONE! This must be a fluke, im guessing no spores gained ground in the injection.
This is why I intend to run this whole experiment again, using petri mycelium.

----SHIITAKI-----

The BRF jar is looking mighty healthy.

THE COIR JAR is showing nothing, no contam, no whispy growth, nothing.
Again, im guessing my ph is wack here.

The WOOD jar is actually catching up with the BRF jar here. I am glad as I worried that again no spores gained ground here.

Heres the TAKI- BRF and WOOD jar side by side.

The petri of both strains did nothing, most likely due to very little spores, or the H2O2 in the H2O2 petris.

The MYCOBAGS look VERY dried out, and are showing NO growth of BP!!!
I injected these bags with a full 6 CC's of BP EACH! so theres no excuse here for no growth, must be the result of not being able to see growth in the middle of the bag, or just too dry.
(i knew the wood was a bit dry when mixing up that wood batch for my jars!!!)

Again, the results will be told when fruiting begins.

--------------------
The only beneficiaries of Prohibition were bootleggers(drug makers), crime bosses(drug pushers), and the forces of big government(DEA).
(wheres the benefit for the consumer?)

You gotta check this out.
http://www.di.fm/mp3/chillout96k.pls

Ride the wave of the mellow fractal rainbow!

Edited by Search59 (12/11/04 06:09 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The PFtek: BRF vs WOOD vs COIR-VERM experiment. BlackPoplar & Shiitake [Re: Search59]
    #3426537 - 11/30/04 04:08 AM (12 years, 12 days ago)

excellent!  i'll be watching very closely :laugh:
why add water to the wood bag though, - wasn't the 'mycobag' at optimum moisture already?

i bet the shiitake love the wood and the rice flour, and am interested to see what the agrocybe aegerita likes best. i put some agrocybe on wood substrate in my terrarium last night, and will post pics sometime.

--------------------
buh

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: The PFtek: BRF vs WOOD vs COIR-VERM experiment. BlackPoplar & Shiitake [Re: shirley knott]
    #3427026 - 11/30/04 10:30 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

I'll be very interested in the results of this... my own wood-based substrate experiment produces some nice miniature fruits, but nothing commercially viable :frown:

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

InvisibleSearch59
Yet anotherhobby for me.

Re: The PFtek: BRF vs WOOD vs COIR-VERM experiment. BlackPoplar & Shiitake [Re: shirley knott]
    #3429325 - 11/30/04 08:23 PM (12 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

shirley knott said:
why add water to the wood bag though, - wasn't the 'mycobag' at optimum moisture already?

Also, the wood was taken OUT of the bag. And packaged into jars to comply with the experiment. (all jars were PC'd for 1 hour)

One would think, i think the smaller mycobags were fine. But the large mycobag which looked previously used anyway(had a needle hole in it) (yes i bought it new) well, that might be why it had dry substrate in it, because it was packaged in a used bag. Who knows. Mycobag.com heard about it mostly cause the amount of wood substrate was wrong, so they instead sent me the correct order of 4 small 1-lb bags.
I made it wet enough to were water wasn't dripping out at all. Not even soggy, just moist.

--------------------
The only beneficiaries of Prohibition were bootleggers(drug makers), crime bosses(drug pushers), and the forces of big government(DEA).

InvisibleSearch59
Yet anotherhobby for me.

Re: The PFtek: BRF vs WOOD vs COIR-VERM experiment. BlackPoplar & Shiitake [Re: Search59]
    #3437057 - 12/02/04 01:29 PM (12 years, 9 days ago)

So far, the Coir-Verm-OysterShell is showing the first mycelium growth, and the wood, is showing no growth. The BRF-Verm is also showing less than coir growth, but is showing, unlike the wood.

Very interesting.
Its possible the mucelium stage will be different than the fruiting stage. Well see.

--------------------

InvisibleSearch59
Yet anotherhobby for me.

#3448030 - 12/05/04 12:40 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

UPDATED

--------------------

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3449041 - 12/05/04 08:55 AM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Till now it looks like as if the rice/verm would be the winner.
Wonder how the race is going to continue ...

InvisibleSearch59
Yet anotherhobby for me.

Re: The PFtek: BRF vs WOOD vs COIR-VERM experiment. BlackPoplar & Shiitake [Re: ragadinks]
    #3467243 - 12/08/04 10:29 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

The Verm/Rice jars of both the poplar and shiitaki are still growing the best, they both have silver dollar sized mycelial growth at each injection point.

The wood for the poplar, is not doing anything, and the wood for the shiitaki is growing VERY slowly, and sluggishly.

The coir/verm is not growing at all. One of the poplar jars has what it looks to be contaminants, which is odd, considering they were PC'd for an hour, Only 1 jar tho.

Its odd that the wood for poplar, and coir for both are doing nothing.
Mabee they didn't get any spores from the injection?

I am going to run this experiment again, using mycelial petri of both poplar and shiitaki, when any jar fruits.

Mabee mycelium will act differently than the spore injection.
Also, I intend to test the PH of the wood, and coir, and rice jars to determine if mabee that is the reason for slow/ non existant growth.
I'll update with pics when any of the jars are at least 1/2 covered.

--------------------

InvisibleSearch59
Yet anotherhobby for me.

#3482438 - 12/11/04 06:11 PM (12 years, 11 hours ago)

UPDATE with pictures on 11-DEC-04

--------------------

InvisiblePsilovibe
reader ofthreads

Loc: Treasure Coast
    #3997571 - 03/31/05 10:32 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Wonderful. It pleases me to see that the BP did so well in the BRF jars. I am planning on ordering some BP culture. This will make my grow much less material heavy. I am curious as to what has happened since you last posted here? I just noticed it's been a few months.. sorry for bringing this post back. Anyway, what was the final outcome?

Edited by Psilovibe (04/18/06 03:02 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Mycobags, Petri Dish, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms