Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepyromaniac
addict
Loc: Oregon
Glad containers
    #339912 - 06/13/01 01:58 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, 3 days ago, to the hour, I tried innoculating some glad containers (you know, the ones that are suppose to be cheap enough to throw away, w/e). I am trying it because about a week ago I saw a thread about something similar to this. Anyway, I did several of these containers with brf/verm and microwaved them for 8 mins each in about 1/2 inch of water. I just about burnt myself each time I took them out of the microwave so I am sure they are sterile. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had sucess with this and if there is a greater conamination rate. Im sure there is, being that they are microwaved, but it seemed like something to try due to how easy it is. Plus, It only costed a couple bucks to make them up and innoculate so what have I got to lose.

Anyway, I will see how sucessful I am at this and maybe consider trying it more if it works out.

---Pyromaniac---

--------------------
I admit it, Im a fungal-feliac :wink:
Support the FSR!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: Glad containers [Re: pyromaniac]
    #339958 - 06/13/01 04:14 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

They work well if you steam them as PF style jars.

Offlinethem_26
enthusiast
Re: Glad containers [Re: puscle]
    #339988 - 06/13/01 04:55 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

How much do the gladware containers run for?

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
Re: Glad containers [Re: them_26]
    #340023 - 06/13/01 05:47 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Well, I got two different sizes from two different brands. One of them I believe holds 4 cups, the other is like 1 1/2. The brands were ziplock and glad and they ran about 3 bucks for 6 of the small ones or 3 bucks for 4 of the large ones. I got mine a Fred Meyer's, though I'm sure most stores carry them, theyre in the same area as the paper plates and paper bags used for sack lunches.

---Pyromaniac---

--------------------
Support the FSR!

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
    #340026 - 06/13/01 05:55 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I peeked in at them a little while ago and saw what looks like just the beginning of some growth. I could be wrong though. I could be seeing something different due to the glare of the lid and the color of the substrate. It looks like a little spot of mycelium just a couple mm wide. It seems like it may be a bit too early, due mainly to the fact that the temp is a bit lower then normal but I guess only time will tell.

---Pyromaniac---

--------------------
Support the FSR!

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
    #340090 - 06/13/01 07:06 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Nope, definitely mycelial growth. I checked a bout 3 minutes ago and peeled back the tape far enough to see that there was a mass of mycelial growth about 1.5 cm wide right under one of the holes on one of the larger containers of innoculated substrate with cambodian spores. This is in three days at an average incubation temperature of 70-85 degrees. Sucess so far, most of these prints, if sucessful, will be going to ralphster and the FSR due to the fact that I won that print in one of his contests. Thanks Ralph.

---Pyromaniac---

--------------------
Support the FSR!

Offlineshroomeritus
journeyman
    #340401 - 06/14/01 03:22 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

hey there pyromaniac,
glad to see that your gladware containers are working out. i was just wondering if you were planning on trying to shake those puppies up a bit. or if it would even be possible to? please keep us informed. that seems like an awesome tek if everything goes well, especially with the shaking. a very awesome tek.

--------------------
-the sweet is never as sweet without the sour

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #340428 - 06/14/01 04:56 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

The microwave can reach extremely high temps so sterilization is not a problem.

Tired of pimping yourself on the corner to afford spores? Well throw out that red dress and go to the FSR, for spores even you can afford.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #340444 - 06/14/01 06:04 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Like this. (see pic)

Offlineauto59009
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
Re: Glad containers [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #340447 - 06/14/01 06:09 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

this may be just me, but whenever verm goes in the microwave it comes out with its container melted (if plastic) or cracked (if glass)... is this a humidity thing or heat capacity of the verm?

I am a compulsive liar:wink:
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing
http://www.lilshopofspores.com
http://www.shaman-australis.com/shroom

--------------------
I am a compulsive liar :wink:

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Deleted [Re: auto59009]
    #340642 - 06/14/01 12:45 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Content Removed.

Edited by Jared (04/01/04 01:14 AM)

InvisibleFreefly
mycoman
Re: Glad containers [Re: Jared]
    #340676 - 06/14/01 01:30 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Yesterday i used a plastic mixing bowl to sterilize my vermic. in the microwave and ended up with verm imbeded in the bottom of the bowl. No amount of scrubbing got it out.

Freeflying...The fastest non-mechanized sport in the world.

--------------------
XxXxFreeYourMindxXxX

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
    #340684 - 06/14/01 01:42 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Verm does just fine in the microwave. Also, the plastic dishes shouldn't melt so long as they are sitting in a dish of water which has about 1/2 - 3/4 inch of water in it. You should also set the container on a rag in the microwave.

The small containers that I used look exactly like that attached one.

If I had a camera I would take pics, I think I might get a disposable one because I have a really really nice scanner.

---Pyromaniac---

--------------------
Support the FSR!

Offlinethem_26
enthusiast
    #340700 - 06/14/01 02:02 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I've read posts about others having a melting problem also. Why not just steam like the man said? If the water/rag doesn't work for ya, that is.

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Deleted [Re: Jared]
    #340751 - 06/14/01 03:10 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Content Removed.

Edited by Jared (04/01/04 01:14 AM)

OfflineShecky
Re: Glad containers [Re: auto59009]
    #340819 - 06/14/01 05:06 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know about you guys and your goddamn gladware containers. I read the same thread and ran out to wally world to get some. They were 8.5 oz. pretty close to 1/2 pint. I nuked em for 8 min. in an inch or so of water. When i opened the door, the lid waws off the verm. was fucking everywhere, and the cake was harder than a rock. WTF i thinks to myself?

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
    #340879 - 06/14/01 06:32 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Something to look forward to, eh. I wouldnt be in the least surprised if that happens to me too. I wanted to see, however if this would work and so I am trying it, if it doesnt, oh well I'll just use jars next time :). Oh, and Shecky, I had the 4 holes for the syringe needly poked in the lid before I microwaved it. That way steam could escape instead of building up and then blowing the lid off. I think that probably you hadnt put the holes in it and that caused the lid, and some vermiculite to blow off. Then, there would be no lid to stop the water in the cake from drying so all of the water would evaporate and make the cake hard. Then, when I took it out there ws team shooting out of the holes and I taped em off. The steam shooting out should have kept any spores from entering.

If it gets contams, oh well I just won't try again, this is just an experiment.

---Pyromaniac---

--------------------
Support the FSR!

OfflineNagual
enthusiast

Loc: nyc, USA
Re: Glad containers [Re: Shecky]
    #340881 - 06/14/01 06:36 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Didjya leave the lid(s) off alittle to give the pressure somwhere to go? Did you not use enough water? Maybe the 8 minutes was too much time? The microwave may have some advantages over regular stovetop sterilization, since they cook from the inside out, but as there are no firmly established microwave teks yet you should be more aware of each and every step you take with it. Good luck microwavers.. stand too close though and you WILL grow an extra head.

o0O)}>there is no real death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves<{(O0o

--------------------
.....___^___
....(_______)
........|...|Free
...__ /.../..Spore
...|___ / .....Ring

OfflineNagual
enthusiast

Loc: nyc, USA
    #340889 - 06/14/01 06:47 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

That's what I mean, like seeing the steps you take and understandinding why they work out; I like how the steam pressure keeps everything sterile. Sounds like the beginnings of a valid technique. Godspeed Pyro.. omani... umm.. Please don't burn my house down?!

o0O)}>there is no real death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves<{(O0o

--------------------
.....___^___
....(_______)
........|...|Free
...__ /.../..Spore
...|___ / .....Ring

Offlinegray1
addict

Loc: brooklyn
Re: Glad containers [Re: auto59009]
    #341255 - 06/15/01 06:53 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

gladware containers are cheaper, but for a longer term investment, rubbermaid makes some nice, low (about 1-2") rectangular 5" x 8" containers that are microwaveable for around $5 each. these are nice because they are also autocalveable, you can sterilize the medium right in the container and be good to go. it works in the autoclave if it has "pp" imprinted near where the recyclable imprint is on the bottom of the container.

gray1

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags