Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
casing with potting soil
    #338324 - 06/11/01 12:08 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I just cased my first jar of cubensis last night (yay!), and I did it using vermiculite and potting soil, as suggested by Shroom Wizard. I've long since realized that the Shroom Wizard's Grow Guide is crap, but I'd already bought the potting soil, so I thought I'd try it anyway (at least for one jar). What I did was to mix equal parts of verm. and potting soil, add water until moist (slighly more damp than the substrate in my culture jars), then sandwich the crumbled cake between two one-inch layers of this mixture, pat it down slightly and then seal the container. Now I'm to leave it alone for a week and then hopefully I should see some fungus poking through at the surface, right? Can anyone tell me whether this method I used has some reasonable possibility for success, or have I just wasted one of my jars? I have four new PF jars which are almost ready for casing as well -- can I use my potting soil or should I go buy some peat moss instead? Thanks,

WW

--------------------
I am a figment of my own imagination
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: casing with potting soil [Re: wind_wraith]
    #338327 - 06/11/01 12:14 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Shroom Wizard's casing method works great as long as you sterilize/pasteurize the casing mix. You didn't mention that step. Also, next time omit the bottom layer or replace it with perlite.

Offlinelounge lizard
enthusiast
Loc: Midwest
Re: casing with potting soil [Re: puscle]
    #338355 - 06/11/01 02:16 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

And don't push down on the casing layer.  Makes it more difficult for the mycelium.

"I feel cheated, where can I get  the stuff that makes eggs look like brains?" --Bill Hicks
Support the FSR:D

--------------------
"I feel cheated, where can I get  the stuff that makes eggs look like brains?" --Bill Hicks
Support the FSR:D

Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
Re: casing with potting soil [Re: lounge lizard]
    #338440 - 06/11/01 05:22 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, I bought some moss and I'm going to try three different methods tonight (potting soil, 50/50, and plain vermiculite) and just see which one yields the most shrooms with the least problems. I'll leave the surface loose this time and sterilize the soil/moss in the microwave first. I'm going to be gone for a week starting tomorrow, hope to find four healthy mycelium blankets when I get back :-)

--------------------
I am a figment of my own imagination
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate