Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Need advice from cactus experts
    #3374052 - 11/17/04 02:41 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

I've been away a long time, busy with school and not really doing anything mycology related but I'm glad to stop back by.  A freind has a a columnar cactus he's growing and at the top of it there are small black wartlike dots.  Some of them appear subcutaneous and less developed while others appear above the skin as bumps.  He's seen a couple tiny bugs of unknown identity and thinks that maybe the dots are wounds from them sucking juices or from an infection transmited by the bugs probiscus.  Other cacti nearby are unaffected but he's scared it might spread.  What do you guys think it is and what should be done?  Insecticide? Fungicide? He also said the problem seems to be streading, from the tip of the cacti down.  I'll try to get some pics if I can next time I see him.  Also, for my own knoweledge, if you have one really tall pereskiopsis is there anything you can do to create two plants from it?  Its about 6" tall and outgrowing its terrerium quickly.  I've thought about just cutting the top off and putting rooting hormone on it and planting that.  What will the old "stump" do?  Also, where leaves dropped off as a baby new leaves have never grown at the leaf scars, will this ever happen?    Sorry if all this is hard to handle in one post, but I thought it best to conserve posts and get responses as one unit.  We both need your advice.  Anyone know where to get pereskiopsis seeds? :confused: :confused: :confused:

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

Re: Need advice from cactus experts [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #3374576 - 11/17/04 04:33 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

Are the black spots getting bigger? Are they different sizes?

If you think it may be some sort of rot, then just cut the top off. Make sure to keep the cacti you chopped the top from in a sunny spot, so as when it starts to callus over no new rot develops......

As for the top you may cut off......probably just throw it away.....

On the other hand.....if the black 'spots' are some sort of insect pest you may need to get some kind of pesticide.  There used to be some recipes for good DIY pesticides around here somewhere....

hope that helps......if you can get pics that would make a diagnosis a bit easier :smile:

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: Need advice from cactus experts [Re: DazedSol]
    #3376014 - 11/17/04 08:58 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

Those specks as long as there hard are perfectly normal. Some call them freckles. What you need to look out for is black or dark green spots that are soft and gushey, these can be from overwatering and need to be cut off if there black or total mush.

Dont throw away the top! cut the plant in half, leaving some leaves on the stump. I try to cut where at least 2 leaves are almost level so theres better chance of having 2 pups. Cut or pull off the bottom 4-8 leaves, plant the cutting and water. I use 4" pots so a ziplock bag with the zipper cut off works great as a humidity tent once i stretch it out a bit. Put this 1-2' from floros for about 5-8 days then start brining it into the light.

The areoles with no leaves wont do much but throw out roots. The lower leaves shouldnt fall off unless your underwatering or not gving them enough light.

You cant get the seeds, just clone em. Keep them wet and feed often and you should doubble your stock every ~2 months.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden