Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Dudes, What about Dell?
    #2081716 -

What does everyone here think about dell?

-> here  Is the computer that i "customized"... they are giving out a free printer, free memory upgrade, and a free dvd rom drive. Im currently using my moms dell laptop... its okay, but its not the greatest. For the price... this thing looks like a good machine  :thumbup: . I wanted to get some second opinions :wink: ... Please, fill me with your comments.



--------------------
What?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2081754 -

As with any pre-made computer company, they are most likely selling you mass produced, no-name parts in a computer, at least in terms of the motherboard and cheap sound/video. If you lack the knowledge, buying one made is the way to go. In this case, I'd go with Dell. I've heard of no problems with them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: TinMan]
    #2081800 -

Ive gotten a built computer before.. my brother "knew" what he was doing... but obviously the people who built it did not. The main problem was that we had aol back in the day... like 4.0 era... and then hackers got into their user database or whatever, got our passwords... put a trojan on our computer... and yes. It fucked the shit out of the computer. We had a warranty... so we went to get it fixed. They said it was the bios battery... they said it was the power supply... so they both got fixed.... cd drive fucked up... new cd drive... and then... Then the computer would not even start up. No power.... nada. It is a piece of shit lumped in my garage... At least with dell i think i have some reliability... Do you think that is a good deal though? My bro says i should get a flat panel monitor... but i dont wanna be excessive if i dont have to :wink: 


--------------------
What?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2081976 -

I have a dell. They're not bad machines, but you'll have to pay extra to get decent parts in it. IMO, the best thing to do when you get a dell is to format it and reinstall everything manually so you don't have to install crap software and other dell "utilities" that slow your computer down.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: daussaulit]
    #2082517 -

Quote:
the best thing to do when you get a dell is to format it and reinstall everything manually so you don't have to install crap software and other dell "utilities" that slow your computer down




I have a Dell also..And that was the first thing I did.. I paid extra for upgrades so all of the components are name brand GeForce, Sony, Maxtor, intel, etc. They are okay. I did have a problem 2 weeks after I received it. The hard drive crapped out. I called them and told them. They ran me thru some b.s. tech support only to find out what I already knew. I asked them if they could send me a new hardrive, but they sent a tech out instead the next day. If you have to get it financed I would go with dell. But if you have cash, You should build your own.


--------------------
http://heffter.org

Edited by motaman (11/07/03 10:28 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2083810 -

go to Fry's, buy parts and build your own!

Dell uses generic parts supplied by the lowest bidder. They also cripple your machine with third party software and bios programming!

for the same amount of money, you could build your own computer with name brand parts and no software that you dont personally install. Its a lot easier to work on a computer (for repair/upgrades) when you built it yourself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2084395 -

If you like dealing with tech support personnel in India that follow a script and ignore any knowledge you have or troubleshooting you may have already done, get a Dell.


--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: Evolving]
    #2085045 -

"sigh" i am damned if i do, and im damned if i dont. What shit. I would either have to be really rich, or know how to build my own computer and now who and what to get the right stuff. Had computer before made by someone = sucked, Dell... havent ran into any problems with people. I know all about the tech support shit, i spent 4 hours with them telling me to try this and that with the internet. Shit worked, i had to get comp re formated... A waste of time when i knew there was something wrong with how the programs made their calls to get on the internet. Nothing out right fix ABLE. Now is just waiting to see if its really worth spending the money.


--------------------
What?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2085186 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2089097 -

I got a Dell..dimension 8200, upgraded alot.
Works good...:)


--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: ralphster44]
    #2095462 -

I'm a pretty big fan of dells..

I've worked in IT for years, and if your into computers I definately say build your own. But if you just need a good stable computer I say buy a Dell. They have good technical support in my experience, fixing things quickly and not tryingh to charge you. Their computers are stable and run well..

A lot of people are computer snobs and say oooh you have to have name brand parts and you need this or that. The reality is for the average user a new Dell these days is going to go far and beyond their real needs. Yes, the computer may not eek out every spare mhz but it still does a damn good job..

If your not way into computers its nice to have a warranty, good tech support, and a computer with components that have been thoroughly tested to work together. YOu shouldn't run into any wierd issues... Building your own computer is fun, its a learning experience, but I know a lot of people who have done it and would have been better off buying a premade computer... Just some stuff to think about...

g-dub


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2099451 -

I can tell you that I have had very good experiences with IBM. Their tech support is great (but you get what you pay for). My brother and a friend I know who runs a business have nothing but bad things to say about Dell's tech support. However, I have worked for a company where the head PC/Windows guy swore by Dell. But again, you get what you pay for and the company paid for premium support. I build my own computers for my use, I get the highest quality parts and I know how to troubleshoot and fix things (if I don't, I learn).


--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2099505 -

Quote:
sigh" i am damned if i do, and im damned if i dont. What shit. I would either have to be really rich, or know how to build my own computer and now who and what to get the right stuff. Had computer before made by someone = sucked, Dell... havent ran into any problems with people. I know all about the tech support shit, i spent 4 hours with them telling me to try this and that with the internet. Shit worked, i had to get comp re formated... A waste of time when i knew there was something wrong with how the programs made their calls to get on the internet. Nothing out right fix ABLE. Now is just waiting to see if its really worth spending the money.



I built my computer 2 years ago for less than $1,000 and it still kicks ass with a few minor upgrades.  I get better graphics than Playstation2.  I live in your general area and i know a couple places that get badass deals.  Honestly, all you need is a little good advice and maybe a $20 book from Barnes And Noble and you can build a badass computer on the cheap!  It really isn't rocket science, and I've been doing it for years, so I can advise you what to get.  I remember the first computer I built when I was like 16 totally sucked cuz I skimped on the parts and didnt do enough research...  man, I've learned a lot since then :smile:  PM me for details.  I dont mind giving out advice. 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2101615 -

Just as an example of Dell support.. I got a Dell laptop off of ebay that was still under warranty for my sister. She had problems with her cd burner, and boom they are SENDING someone out to her house to take a look and replace it if neccesary. I don't know many companies that will do that...

g-dub

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: georgewash]
    #2216675 -

I just got a dell for christmas. I like it, sure the insides aint that great but they definately work better than I need them for so.... Why complain? :laugh:

I also used to have a an old dell, was a p1 150mhz, I had that comp for years and then was giving a p2 450 compaq, the 150 outperformed the 450 like 2 fold and was far more reliable, I was sold to DeLL's ever since.


--------------------
Life's a bitch make it yours.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: Sl1p]
    #3369883 -

I just purchased a Dell Dimension 4700. Here is what it looks like.
Pentium 4 3.2GHz
2 HDD's (one 40GB, one 160GB)
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM
ATI X300SE 128 MB Video card (I will will upgrade eventually)
No monitor (Already have one)
Windows XP Home
2 Optical Drives (one dvd-rom/cd-rw, one dvd+-rw/cd-rw)
No Floppy Drive
Sound Blaster Live Audio Card
w/ 6 usb ports (two of them in the front)
Free S&H and a $200 rebate!!
Total after tax: $915.70!
After the rebate this will be a bad ass 715 dollar computer. So I can not complain about Dell at all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: KrazieH8er]
    #3369890 -

I say HOOT HOOT, about dell. (where I live HOOT HOOT means good and nice)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: KrazieH8er]
    #3370306 -

Never had any complaints about my Dell. It ran like hell until it became obsolete (p2, 64MB ram, 2gig hd, etc).

Never needed tech support, it was handed down from my father-in-law and as far as I know, he never needed tech support.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #3371361 -

DoctorJ said:
go to Fry's, buy parts and build your own!




:thumbup::thumbup:

If you don't think you can put it together yourself you can order barebones systems to be pre-assembled.  In high school I did this with my dad ... I did not feel comfortable assembling the parts at that time (I knew very little ...) But over time I learned a lot and just upgraded parts from that same machine.  The only remaining original parts are the Mobo/ram/cpu (which will be replaced shortly).  Oh, the CD drive and floppy are original too ...


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dudes, What about Dell? [Re: abhi]
    #3372876 -

They have good technical support in my experience, fixing things quickly and not tryingh to charge you. Their computers are stable and run well..

I work in a local computer store as a computer technician, while i am here in school. We have a revolving door of dell repairs 4 to 5 a day. And the best part is most are still under warranty because the customers hate dells tech support so much. I love how they ask people who know nothing about computers to open it up and start fussing with parts.

Overall Dells are average computers. In all honesty assembling one yourself is so easy, I would even gladly walk anyone through it through pms or over aim. Not to mention you don't get all the crap dell fills their computers with. If you do choose a Dell as soon as you get that computer take out the Operating Systems CD they give you and Reinstall windows, when it asks to format say yes. Trust me you'll be much better off.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Save $750 on a dell laptop *Edited* daussaulit 481 0 10/19/04 02:57 PM
by daussaulit
* Customers Demand Dell Offer XP Again Instead Of Vista
( 1 2 all )
DiploidM 2,723 24 04/26/07 10:41 PM
by Konnrade
* Laptops: Dell vs. IBM Lana 1,541 13 09/20/05 10:49 AM
by nonphixion
* Ubuntu on Dell DiploidM 541 0 06/03/07 06:24 AM
by Diploid
* $50 off Dell printer > $100 YthanA 557 3 08/27/05 10:02 AM
by baraka
* Dell XPS's laptops any good. Brainiac 1,222 14 10/07/06 08:46 AM
by Kbell
* Jussst got a New computer and want to setup my old Dell Dimension 8100 only to run PROTOOLS? PsillyNilly 848 9 02/03/05 09:01 PM
by PsillyNilly
* Random power-downs with Dell Dimension 8400 SoY 688 3 03/01/07 03:58 PM
by Newbie

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
2,644 topic views. 0 members, 2 guests and 6 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 18 queries.