Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinehills
"Criminal"
 User Gallery
Loc: Earth
green mold
    #3337872 - 11/09/04 05:25 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

3 days ago i pressure cooked and inoculated 4 jars. today i checked them and there are the same green mold patches in all jars. nothing green is at all safe, right? keep in mind i lysoled the FUCK out of my room and areas where i was doing the inoculation and preparation. the problem is my house is not finished and it has been sheetrock for like 15 years. dont ask. im wondering if there are green mold spores living in my walls or my air. is there a way to test for mold spores? btw dust settles everywhere all the time. its unavoidable.

i was thinking...while i was pressure cooking at 15 psi suddenly it started shooting steam out of the top (way beyond a jiggle) and it was pretty loud. i took it off the burner, waiited for it to stfu, then i proceeded to repressure cook. do you guys think the severe change in pressure couldve sucked in air which could have contaminated the jars? also i didn wash my hands before i inoculated the jars but i sterilized the syringe and wiped the jars down with alcohol. ideas? comments? suggestions?

--------------------
I am the key to the lock in your house
That keeps your toys in the basement
And if you get too far inside
You'll only see my reflection

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelippy
Stranger
Re: green mold [Re: hills]
    #3338550 - 11/09/04 08:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

try a test jar, do everything but inoculate a jar, that way you can be sure your spores aren't the cause.

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
Re: green mold [Re: lippy]
    #3341136 - 11/10/04 01:15 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Unlikely that stopping heating temporarily would cause contamination... as long as the jar is still warmer than room temperature the pressure is higher than the outside pressure, so while air may escape the jar no outside air should get in.

Did you flame-sterilize the syringe or do it with alcohol out of curiosity? Did you use filters/tyvek or just aluminum foil/tape?

A couple test jars are always a good idea to diagnose where the problem is.

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #3341275 - 11/10/04 01:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If your house is too dirty, try making a glove box and work with it.
Mold spores are everywhere ...

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinehills
"Criminal"
 User Gallery
Loc: Earth
Re: green mold [Re: MAIA]
    #3346903 - 11/11/04 03:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

what do u mean by aluminium foil and tape? i just followed the pf tek and placed one piece of aluminum foil over and folded the edges to seal it then firmly placed 2 more pieces of foil over it. should i be taping the foil to the jars?

making a glove box? i dont follow

--------------------
I am the key to the lock in your house
That keeps your toys in the basement
And if you get too far inside
You'll only see my reflection

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #3363774 - 11/15/04 01:58 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Search the FAQ's. The info is there ...

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlineblueloon
mushroommerchant
Re: green mold [Re: MAIA]
    #3366271 - 11/15/04 10:26 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I think they mean tape the inoculation holes shut, but I've never done that and have been fine. granted, I don't have a long history of cultivation, but out of 11 jars, I've only lost two to contams, and one of them was from a jar that had been sterilized a couple months before being inoculated. the contam was green mold, spotted during the incubation phase. I seal my jar lids but not super tight, and then fold over one piece of tin foil, no tape anywhere.

one thing you might try is inoculating on a pulled out oven rack with the oven door open while the oven is set to about 150F. the rising warm air takes care of all airborne contams. after you've put the lids on the jars and start the incubation phase, chances of contam are very unlikely. any contam you see a few days after incubation almost certainly got there between sterilization and incubation. keep trying and good luck! :thumbup:

--------------------
radiohead track resource: every officially released version of every song and where to find them

Edited by blueloon (11/15/04 10:29 PM)

Offlinejent
enchanted wizardof rhythm
Re: green mold [Re: blueloon]
    #3366696 - 11/15/04 11:55 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

blueloon said:
one thing you might try is inoculating on a pulled out oven rack with the oven door open while the oven is set to about 150F. the rising warm air takes care of all airborne contams.

i am not so sure about this one....150f is not enough heat to kill almost everything...seems like a waste of electricity. Not saying you can't do it and make it work i just think it is the exact same as taking a sugar pill to cure a sore throat

--------------------
the jent

Offlineblueloon
mushroommerchant
Re: green mold [Re: jent]
    #3367200 - 11/16/04 01:53 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jent said:
Quote:

blueloon said:
one thing you might try is inoculating on a pulled out oven rack with the oven door open while the oven is set to about 150F. the rising warm air takes care of all airborne contams.

i am not so sure about this one....150f is not enough heat to kill almost everything...seems like a waste of electricity. Not saying you can't do it and make it work i just think it is the exact same as taking a sugar pill to cure a sore throat

no, no, no. the heat isn't expected to kill anything. the point of the rising hot air is to keep the contams from falling onto the jars.

--------------------
radiohead track resource: every officially released version of every song and where to find them

OfflineFerment
Stranger
Loc: NE USA
Re: green mold [Re: blueloon]
    #3386540 - 11/19/04 11:02 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

blueloon said:
Quote:

jent said:
Quote:

blueloon said:

i am not so sure about this one....150f is not enough heat to kill almost everything...seems like a waste of electricity.  Not saying you can't do it and make it work i just think it is the exact same as taking a sugar pill to cure a sore throat

no, no, no. the heat isn't expected to kill anything. the point of the  rising  hot air is to keep the contams from falling onto the jars.

I've seen Anno argue convincingly against this on several occasions. The proof is in the pictures, to me at least. That, and that I just lost a whole batch to green mold despite using oven-tek :smile: (before I found that pic of Anno's, unfortunately).
Check this post for more info: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/show...&PHPSESSID=

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: green mold [Re: Ferment]
    #3390229 - 11/20/04 08:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You can't inoculate your jars out in the open and expect that to be a good sterile practice. Lysol, alcohol and then some...it doesn't really matter when every contam in your house is falling all over your working area.

Do the oven tek man, it's simple. Turn oven on to 150, work in the doorway of it. The hot air rising prevents bad guys from falling on it, easy. I've never owned a glovebox and I do agar with this method and it works very well.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum