Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineChingChong
Non-OffensiveTalker

Loc: Where the buffalo roam
presentations
    #3333378 - 11/08/04 01:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Shit, just had to do a project for the class. whenever i have to give a presentation or talk in front of a large group of people, i just get this overwhelming nervousness.  My heart rate speeds up alot, and sometimes i actually shake a little.  I cant really control it or dont know how.  Any suggestions for improvement. :confused:

--------------------
How can one murder enormously if one is microscopic.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: presentations [Re: ChingChong]
    #3333674 - 11/08/04 03:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

1. always be prepared. the better prepared, the more focused you are - the more natural it'll be. go over the speech/presentation out loud privately and to friends/family many times. try to get to the point of being able to give the speech/presentation w/o reading or memorizing - it should just flow.

2. dont forget to breath. if you choke up, its because you're not relaxing - take a deep breath & try to breath normally.

3. try to relax beforehand. close your eyes & breath and just chill

4. try to go first - the quicker you give the presentation, the less you'll be nervous. get it over with.

OfflineCrestfallen
some kindasomethin'

Re: presentations [Re: Vvellum]
    #3335654 - 11/09/04 12:32 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

This is a normal reaction to public speaking that many people have. My main problem is when my mouth becomes severely dry. But know what your talking about, look at the audience, and you'll be good.

--------------------
The above statement is completely fictional and composed solely for the purpose of entertainment.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #3335996 - 11/09/04 03:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

That's an extremely commmon fear for most people- myself included. I saw a poll a few years ago where fear of public speaking ranks right in there with being attacked by a shark!

Just realize that most of the people who are listening to you are just as afraid as you when their turn comes. Be willing to laugh at yourself when you're up there and breathe so you don't white-knuckle it.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineChingChong
Non-OffensiveTalker

Loc: Where the buffalo roam
Re: presentations [Re: Jellric]
    #3336476 - 11/09/04 08:58 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Its good to know that theres others out there just as nervous about public speaking. thanks for the advice everyone. :thumbup:

--------------------
How can one murder enormously if one is microscopic.

OfflinePathos
A million pieces
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs
    #3337349 - 11/09/04 01:12 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

the best way to improve is practice. Practice giving your speech alone a few times.

If you have time, take a public speaking class, it helped me tremendously. I used to be very anxious about speaking, and I still am to some degree, but after you give so many speeches it just becomes sort of second nature.

Anonymous #1

#3338002 - 11/09/04 03:56 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

1. Before beginning, take long deep relaxing breaths. Mindset affects physiology and vice versa. Slow your body to a relaxed state and your mind will follow.

2. While speaking, talk SLOWLY. Don't talk too fast. This is another case of the mind/body connection. When you are speaking fast, your mind thinks you are in a frantic situation, which increases your nervousness and reduces your ability to speak and think clearly.

3. Think as if you're already a professional speaker. Once again this is a case of mental state affecting physical behavior. Just get in the most confident, cocky state that you can. "I'm the fucking man! Everyone will enjoy hearing me speak because I'm so confident and well-spoken. Anyone who doesn't think so, I don't give a fuck about them." :smile: This one works, trust me.

4. Anticipation and suspense continually adds to nervousness and uncertainty. Get up and speak as soon as possible, and don't even think about how it's going to go before you get up to speak.

If you're still a teenager, don't worry cause public speaking gets easier as you get older with each additional experience.

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Re: presentations [Re: ]
    #3338145 - 11/09/04 04:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Only think positively about how things could go wrong. If you're convinced that something will go wrong, then do something to change it before hand. While it's definately a good idea to plan, don't overplan. If you try too hard for things to a go a certain way, then it will frustrate more. Don't try so hard to memorize things and leave room for things to be able to be vocalized in different ways/order.

Also, try and act relaxed, even if you don't feel it. Nervous speakers usually make an audience uncomfortable.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order