Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineEuphoria
watch theweatherchange...

Absolutely terrified of oral presentations
    #4653382 - 09/12/05 11:28 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hey guys,

I'm a 21 year old university student and I'm starting up my third year. I've discovered that a couple of my classes require oral presentations and I'm freaking about it. I'm considering dropping the classes based pretty much on the sole requirement alone.

I was ok with them in high school, maybe because I knew everyone? But just the thought of having to speak in front of a class makes me terrified. I had one short one last year and I was stuttering, trembling, shaking, and felt damn near sick to my stomach from it, I never want to feel that way again.

I'm tried to suck it up, but any time the thought crosses my mind about a presentation, I just start to get horrible thought loops and I can't escape it. I do feel like an idiot for feeling like this since it really isn't a big deal, it's just that they freak me out to no end . Maybe I should go with my gut and get out of these classes, or should I face the music?

Anyone have any advice for me? I realize I can't run from this problem forever, but at the same time it is a horrible thing for me to go through...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Re: Absolutely terrified of oral presentations [Re: Euphoria]
    #4653426 - 09/12/05 11:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I used to get the exact same feelings about oral presentations and having to speak in front of class, knowing that everyone is looking at my every move.
Sadly enough, in my school days, I do recall dropping a class due to the fact that there was a lot of the same requirements that you mention.

By dropping the class, it didn't really help anything. All that it really did was make me less confident in myself and feel bad that I couldn't do it. The next semester, I ended up taking the same class and even though I was nervous and felt like crap up there in front of the class.. I felt so much better that I just did it and got it over with rather than quitting.

Later in life I developed a strong and confident attitude, higher self esteem, and now I don't care what anyone thinks of me anymore. I can just be myself anywhere and everywhere, not having to worry about it.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineNickSoapdish
Hypochondriac
Male

#4653440 - 09/12/05 11:39 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

take an intro course in public speaking. It gradually introduces you into feeling comfortable in front of an audience. Most of the other people in the class will probably feel the same way you do about presenting, so it wont be as stressful since you wont feel so isolated. I used to be scared, and it helped me at least marginally

--------------------

Invisiblefinding_self
Stranger
no [Re: Euphoria]
    #4653467 - 09/12/05 11:47 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by FunMatic<p>Reason for deletion: no

Edited by finding_self (04/20/06 04:53 PM)

Offlineart
Stranger
Re: Absolutely terrified of oral presentations [Re: finding_self]
    #4655670 - 09/13/05 03:26 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i know what you are going through, i used to hate doing anything in front of a class. Especially since i have a stutter. I finally got used to it from doing it so much. Playing in bands, piano recitals, going to a performing arts school, ect.
So the best advice i can give to you is to practice. Taking that public speaking class that brandon mentioned would be perfect.

OfflineWeAreAllOne
Opethian

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: Absolutely terrified of oral presentations [Re: art]
    #4655882 - 09/13/05 04:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I am terrified of talking in front of any number of people, whether

I can read off of a paper or not.  I talk really quietly normally, and

it makes me even more nervous to have to speak up to an entire class.

Perhaps you could get a substance to ease the anxiety?

:grin:

InvisibleRESTLESS
C.M.L.W.

Re: Absolutely terrified of oral presentations [Re: WeAreAllOne]
    #4655904 - 09/13/05 04:18 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

WeAreAllOne said:
Perhaps you could get a substance to ease the anxiety?

:grin:

2 pills of mdma an hour before?

--------------------

OfflineWeAreAllOne
Opethian

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: Absolutely terrified of oral presentations [Re: RESTLESS]
    #4655915 - 09/13/05 04:22 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I was thinking more along the lines of 10-15 grams of shrooms, but

whatever floats your boat.

InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
    #4656177 - 09/13/05 05:20 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Oral presentations do suck. Drink some before you get up there, but careful not to cross the line into drunken sloppyness, just enough to feel a glow. I did that for one of mine in college and got an A+. I don't think I would've come close without a little liquid courage. it helps.

OfflineEuphoria
watch theweatherchange...

Re: Absolutely terrified of oral presentations [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #4656583 - 09/13/05 06:55 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the additional posts guys, I appreciate it.  I had a REALLY bad day yesterday thinking about these presentations and reading your comments really does help.  I think I'll try to go through with it, practice by talking with strangers around campus and maybe make some friends in the process :smile:

Liquid courage sounds interesting, I might try some smoke-courage, too...Again more experimenting and practice will show me how things are.

Any other tips/stories appreciated!

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: Euphoria]
    #4657725 - 09/13/05 11:46 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Absolutely terrified of oral presentations [Re: dr_gonz]
    #4658624 - 09/14/05 06:45 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

As someone mentioned above, try a public speaking course.

Other than that practice, practice, practice. It gets easier with time. The more you do it, the more comfortable you'll be.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
    #4658725 - 09/14/05 08:13 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The last thing I would want to do while high is give an oral presentation... but if you're OK with that go ahead. Definetly don't drop the class because of this, you will regret it for sure. Just know your material, practice it to yourself outloud and fuckin give 'er.

OfflineLuke
thought

Loc: the Well
    #4663405 - 09/15/05 12:02 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Euphoria said:
Hey guys,

I'm a 21 year old university student and I'm starting up my third year. I've discovered that a couple of my classes require oral presentations and I'm freaking about it. I'm considering dropping the classes based pretty much on the sole requirement alone.

I was ok with them in high school, maybe because I knew everyone? But just the thought of having to speak in front of a class makes me terrified. I had one short one last year and I was stuttering, trembling, shaking, and felt damn near sick to my stomach from it, I never want to feel that way again.

I'm tried to suck it up, but any time the thought crosses my mind about a presentation, I just start to get horrible thought loops and I can't escape it. I do feel like an idiot for feeling like this since it really isn't a big deal, it's just that they freak me out to no end . Maybe I should go with my gut and get out of these classes, or should I face the music?

Anyone have any advice for me? I realize I can't run from this problem forever, but at the same time it is a horrible thing for me to go through...

Well first you gotta give someone a blow job aka oral sex. Courage it will give you my great son.

Offlineiamgod
just some dudesome where

Loc: Crooklyn, New York
Re: Absolutely terrified of oral presentations [Re: Luke]
    #4663798 - 09/15/05 05:54 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I second the liquid courage that Irradiated_Feces mentioned. It also helps to let a couple people go first so that you can see how they do their thing. Sometimes you'll get lucky and see someone go who's just as terrified as you and that may help you.

--------------------
If what you seek is truth then drugs can not offer truth. Drugs can offer the truth of drugs.......Altered states. Truth is not an altered state of mind. ~ Big Headed Nice Guy Who Loves You And Your Dog

http://www.inlibertyandfreedom.com/Flash/Think_It_Over.swf

InvisibleWoodsCall
own it
 User Gallery

Loc: eye of the beerholder
Re: Absolutely terrified of oral presentations [Re: iamgod]
    #4665082 - 09/15/05 12:59 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

EDIT: reply to euphoria

Liquid courage sounds interesting, I might try some smoke-courage, too...
Once and ONLY ONCE I smoked before giving a Marketing presentation, and being high completely intensified the nervousness.

Again more experimenting and practice will show me how things are.
You got it. That's the way to effectivley learn how to give oral presentations.

Also, I am in a required intro to public speaking class in college...One thing my professor told us is that the audience really can't tell you're as nervous as you think you are. They only know the extent of it once you blurt out that fact. Don't think about you, think about the audience.

--------------------
Live free or die.

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Absolutely terrified of oral presentations [Re: WoodsCall]
    #4665503 - 09/15/05 02:07 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Opiates.....or just force yourself to do it, make yourself confident. I used to have that problem and still do to a degree. Whenever I was called on in class and all the attention was turned to me I would freak out. I would start sweating hardcore and I just knew that my face was getting red. Then I would think about the people in the class seeing me freak out and that would intensify it even more. I know its hard, but just get up there and do it.

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

OfflineStandsAlone
Stranger
Loc: Arcata, California
Re: Absolutely terrified of oral presentations [Re: Cubieman420]
    #4668617 - 09/16/05 03:03 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Never do anything you don't want to do. I have no confidence in myself so I resort to meth. Gettin sharded gives me a major confidence boost and I always seem to have the right thing to say. It's helped me through a lot. but if you're degree is so important that you feel you have to put your mind and your body under all of that stress and pressure, then do what you gotta do.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder