Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelois_must_die420
Stranger
Results w/ Straight Verm Casing???
    #3267451 - 10/23/04 10:48 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Is it smarter to do a casing w/ straight verm or just stick to cakes?? Ive read people have had great results. Any actual TEKS on a straight verm casing?? Thanks for the help!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHambo
Limey

Loc: UK
Re: Results w/ Straight Verm Casing??? [Re: lois_must_die420]
    #3267474 - 10/23/04 11:00 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Check out the finale post.

I put Just less than a tub of substrate in that casing. roughly equivalent to a little more than a jar? I'm not entirely sure looking back, and I never tryed just cakes, but they certainly are easy to maintain.

Straight verm casing.

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Results w/ Straight Verm Casing??? [Re: Hambo]
    #3267532 - 10/23/04 11:17 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm starting to think a well taken care of cakes actually competes well with casings with 60/40. Casings use more than 1 cake and, cake for cake, it's about the same for first flush. The longevity of the substrate might be different and maybe subsequent flushes will sway me in the other direction, but.. Well... this will probably cause a lot of remarks otherwise, but I'm gonna say, keep your cakes if you are gonna try casing with straight verm.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinelois_must_die420
Stranger
Re: Results w/ Straight Verm Casing??? [Re: Sam1912]
    #3267646 - 10/23/04 12:05 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thats what I thought. Cakes rule if you just give em a chance!!

OfflineFloyder
Stranger
    #3267729 - 10/23/04 12:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

This is my first grow, but I have 4 1 pint jars cased right now. One of which i did about 2 days before the others. Well I just pulled off the lid to fan this morning, and that guy is covered with little pins. I cased on straight verm and so far it seems to be working fine. The myc took it over pretty quickly, and now I'm just waiting for the rest of the pins and then...the flush. =)

But to answer your question, so far the casings have been really easy, and I've liked that i've been able to watch their progress every day. If even half of these pins grow off this one casing, I don't see how a cake could possibly yield as much, just based on surface area to grow alone.

This is the TEK I used: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23805

Edited by Floyder (10/23/04 12:32 PM)

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3267737 - 10/23/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

No way, in the long run if you case you will definatley have a better overall yield. I would do a coco coir/verm casing. I have done straight verm and it does work. And IMO gives better overall yield than a cake. But if you do a cake make sure to dunk and roll between every flush, also when you birth it should be dunked.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Results w/ Straight Verm Casing??? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3269584 - 10/23/04 10:25 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You know my feelings on straight verm casings  :thumbdown: unless you don't have a choice then it's definitely better than nothing. :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinekbilly
earthwalker

Re: Results w/ Straight Verm Casing??? [Re: hyphae]
    #3270136 - 10/24/04 01:20 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

coco coir/verm or just coir. its dead simple just dunmp lots of boiling water on coir it will expand, cover. when its cool grab a handfull sqeeze out excess water the crumble over crumbled cake. both layers about and inch or less. always works seldom contaminates.
and im filthy around my shrooms. you be clean.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: Results w/ Straight Verm Casing??? [Re: kbilly]
    #3270374 - 10/24/04 02:26 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know... My first set of cakes almost done with 2nd flush... here's pic.(sorry, had to make it small due to limits.) Thoses are 270ml cakes... avg stems are about 3" and caps are about 1-1.5". Little less than first flush, though.

Sam

EDIT: Just so other newbies don't get frustrated, this is the furthest one(1 of 10). Some are lagging behind quite a bit.

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Edited by Sam1912 (10/24/04 02:34 AM)

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3270410 - 10/24/04 02:42 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

what is that in your pod? gravel?
btw what strain?

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: Results w/ Straight Verm Casing??? [Re: george castanza]
    #3270484 - 10/24/04 03:11 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

coral pieces.

Golden teacher.

You know.. as a hobby, that sight of blooming cake is something everyone needs to experience IMHO. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow when they let me.

Sam

--------------------

Edited by Sam1912 (10/24/04 03:36 AM)

Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
    #3270598 - 10/24/04 04:15 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

^^^^ here here :smile:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Results w/ Straight Verm Casing??? [Re: aussieone]
    #3271653 - 10/24/04 02:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

See, the thing is with cakes..you dont have to worry about even pinsets and such. Thats where you get the huge increase in casings. It takes time to optimize casings compared to cakes. Plus second and third flushes get even bigger and you can continue getting a few shrooms for even more flushes (up to 5-8) that end up being pretty big. I think with casings, the potential is more. You have an excellent cake there comparing that to a not optimal casing isnt a fair comparision. I think this is where casings make up for what the cakes lack..the even pinset. More difficult to do though.

Bloomed cakes are cool :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: Results w/ Straight Verm Casing??? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3271891 - 10/24/04 03:08 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I agree. Casings have more potential. But considering the amount of cakes you'd need in addition to casing material, extra incubation time and slight but still additional risk of contam... I'm swaying back and forth.

Cakes seem more fun, but casings makes me feel more like a farmer, a real professional.

There are plenty of draw backs in cakes... my cakes seem to bruise right before harvest giving me that creepy panic attack about greenie meanies. Cakes take up a large real estate to grow...

But yieldwise, a good replacement(instead of stretching cakes for 4-5 flushes) actually might compete very well with casing.

Of course, none of this applies if you are using grains. Just comparing PF jars specifically.

Sam

--------------------

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3271974 - 10/24/04 03:28 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

kramer uses millet/verm cakes and he says they kick major ass fruited as a cake and also work well to spawn rye or poo poo

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Results w/ Straight Verm Casing??? [Re: george castanza]
    #3274334 - 10/25/04 04:27 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Also..the amount of space they take up. I did 4 cakes, it fit about 2 in a casing container I use to casing 1 quart of grain. So I got about 7 grams for the container (about 1/8th per cake) as opposed to 14-20+ I could get with the same surface area. Perhaps I could have even stuck in 3 but still wouldn't match..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag