Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Loc: Canada
Addiction: Computer
    #3232188 - 10/08/04 08:15 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'm addicted to my computer.

Nothing else is like this. I don't want to spend my time, all my time, on the computer. After work, I go on the computer, and eventually fall asleep. When I wake up, I go on the computer.

It doesn't help that everyone in my family, and friends, ask me to help them with their computers, but the real problem is, that it doesn't seem bad for me to spend my time like this. I learn a lot in the time I spend. But it's not what I'd like.

When I'm on I don't feel happy, I don't feel invigorated, I don't feel stimulated. Instead, I feel nothing, aggravation, depression, or mostly nothing. There are other things that I can enjoy more.

But I always end up in this chair. At this screen..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJaRRn
Lost in Space
Male User Gallery

Loc: Standing on the Cosmic Sh...
Re: Addiction: Computer [Re: fredthetree]
    #3232444 - 10/08/04 09:33 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

same here man. I make a point of STOPPING for small breaks, walk outside take a breath and feel alive. My PC is my worst addiction by far.  I hate it most when it wastes my weekend.

:megaman:

Anonymous #1

#3233295 - 10/08/04 01:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I used to be majorly addicted to computers and the internet. After a while though I think you get to a point when you realize you're in a negative loop and the computer use isn't really improving your life at all. I remember I just kind of 'snapped' one day when I realized the internet was no longer fun and interesting, but addicting and energy-draining, and I began to spend more time with people doing non-computer things. I cut my computer use from about 8 hours/day or more to about 2 hours/day (mostly for email and AIM -- semi-social activities).

The only thing that keeps you going back to an addiction is a mental reward. In my case it was learning new things and new ideas. But at some point I realized I was no longer learning anything new from sitting in front of a computer so the addiction suddenly stopped. I realized I could learn more from interacting with other people in real life than I could from any web site.

I think after time you'll just get so sick of it that you'll get over this naturally. Give it time. In the meantime, try to think of how exciting it is to be around other people and not wasting your life away sitting in front of a computer.

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #3233334 - 10/08/04 01:51 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I am too. Not too much of a problem though. I can get off the computer if I need to.

--------------------

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3233392 - 10/08/04 02:11 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Get out and do stuff. Go outside for a change. Go to places where there isn't a computer around for you to use.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflinePsiTripper
Male
    #3235582 - 10/09/04 02:29 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i think i am addicted to all the learning you can do on the internet. the internet can be a brain overload. i gotta agree though that getting outdoors is the best thing you can do. for me, nothing beats a walk on a cool clear night, especially this time of year. it brings you back to reality and is very refreshing if you have been on a computer for hours.

--------------------
Music!

Offlinefungigal
lonely gal
Re: Addiction: Computer [Re: PsiTripper]
    #3236032 - 10/09/04 09:58 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think we all suffer this affliction.

--------------------
shrooming is a way of life

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Addiction: Computer [Re: fungigal]
    #3236184 - 10/09/04 11:08 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Well, yeah, pretty much. Computers are pretty damn addicting. A person's entire life can be inside a computer, and many are. But hey, choose your addictions. Everyone has something they indulge in too often. I wouldn't say the computer is such a bad thing.

But to the original poster, since you don't want this nearly as often.... change.. and get out more, etc. (see above posts)

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
Re: Addiction: Computer [Re: Locus]
    #3237044 - 10/09/04 04:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ya, learn to moderate your comp time. Might not always have family around. Don't get discouraged if its difficult and you will eventually get bored with it but that may take a decade or so!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3237063 - 10/09/04 05:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Look at my post count, and I think you'll get some idea of how addicted I am.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleThirdEyeOpening
Lost In My Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: How the fuck should i kno... Flag
Re: Addiction: Computer [Re: silversoul7]
    #3238172 - 10/10/04 01:36 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ive been addicted to this damn box since i was like 6. I had a tandy 1000 and dos, you couldnt pry me away. Then i found pot and shrooms now me and the pc have a limited relationship, mainly just games. I cant seem to pry away from counter strike.

--------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. Im not too sure about the former.      -Einstein

Of course the rules need to be enforced, but the goal of law and order should be to create a just society, not to enforce laws. -Unknown

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”  -Stephen Roberts

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom