Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Giving up addictions
    #4069363 - 04/18/05 06:42 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I thought I would post about giving up addictions because so many people post here with topics like "I'm addicted to ________.  I'm giving ______ up because my life totally sucks and thats the problem."  I want to address them all at once.

Giving up something you are addicted to is not the best way to get rid of it.  See, the problem behind "I want to give up ______." is a confedence problem.  The person who says this has a picture in their head that they want to become.  Then, they realize that a certain behavior is counterproductive to that goal, and so stop.  But, this creates another addictive cycle.  It felt good to change to be more like your ideal.  So, you want to do it again.  Etc.  This will never solve the problem of addictive behavior.

Rather, the solution to an addiction* problem is not to give up the behavior, but to practice mindfulness while doing the addictive behavior.  So, if you are addicted** to pot, like I am, don't try to give it up.  Just be aware of what triggers your use, what goes through your mind.  Try to still your mind so you can understand the thoughts that are going on underneath the surface as well.  Don't judge, or feel guilty, just dispassionately observe it.  Don't fight the addictive behavior, fight off the part that desires change instead.  When you start to think about how you should be different, instead say "This is good enough for me to be" and accept yourself, as you are, without desiring change.  This will let you be at peace with yourself about the behavior, and then it will be easy to stop.  But you don't stop because you desire to be some other non-real version of yourself.  You stop because you realize at the root of the behavior is a desire to harm yourself, or a hatred of yourself, or a desire to harm someone else.  But, until you have this realization, changes to addictive behaviors will just be superfical, and the things that motivate addictive behaviors will still be there, ready to re-manifest themselves when a new behavior comes along. 

You guys, you don't have to give up your addictions.  You are fine with them.  Stop thinking so much about how to get over your addictions and be at peace with yourself how you are.  Even if you are addicted to something, you should be happy with yourself right now, at this moment!  Rather then get rid of your addictions, just be mindful of them.  :sun: :heart:

*Addictions to things that fuck with your neurochemistry a lot might be harder to overcome this way.
**In a loose sense of addicted.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Giving up addictions [Re: tomk]
    #4069392 - 04/18/05 06:51 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

But if the addiction is destroying you, it needs to stop. That advice is all well and good until a heroin addict takes it to heart and goes out to score again by selling his mom's T.V (yes..allusion)

But I think most substances and their "addictions", like pot or shrooms, are just a lack of confidence in all other areas and can be fixed without stopping the substance.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: Giving up addictions [Re: freddurgan]
    #4069411 - 04/18/05 07:00 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I said "*Addictions to things that fuck with your neurochemistry a lot might be harder to overcome this way."

I don't mean drug addiction, in large part. Maybe I should of said more of what type of addictions I mean. I meant things like what food you eat, the routines we fall into, pot, spending to much money on stuff, just a compulsive behavior that you recognize is harmfull. Watching the same TV show every week, that is an addiction to overcome this way. Take the same route to work every single day? Sit in the same posture all the time? Eat the same thing for breakfast every day? Almost all our behvaior is addictive in nature, and we should be aware of this.

But, yeah, if you are addicted to herion and your arm is about to fall off, don't shoot in into your tongue because you think thats what I said!

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being