Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
graffiti ethics
    #3191910 - 09/28/04 02:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

What do you guys think the 'rules' for graffiti should be?

i tag personally and think graffiti can be a damn fine form of art. I also agree that like many things i habitually do its illegal. I think graffiti art is dually awesome because A. it is beutifull and B. it is done in stressfull, dangerous situations with limited time and it is on display for the general public.

Now, i would never tag someones house. However i do tag peoples fences, but only when their facing a back alley (so all they face is other fences and dirty trash cans) these streets are like galleries cuz they are so stealth and i dont feel bad for putting some colour on someones ugle ass fence in an ugly ass back lane. Its not like im ruining any natural beauty or anyshit.

I also tag signs, mailboxes, sidewalk panels, and the inside of bathroom stalls.

Now ill be the first to admit that some of my shit is bunk, im new at this. Some of it is also dope. The only way to get better is to practice. I try to only do pieces in highly visible areas when i am going to put alot of time and effort into it to make it nice and enjoyable.

Anyways if any of you guys tag what is your code of ethics? do you just spray shit everywhich way? i stay off of churches, houses and vehicles and stick to non visible fences, and visible mailboxes, signs, electrical boxes etc...

I will also do the side of a buisness building if that building is really ugly and dilapitated. Personally i find graffiti awesome to look at i dont find it ugly unless it sux and most of it doesnt. I love passing the time 'tag spotting' when im driving around just watching them evertywhere and its awesome when you know one writer and see his shit everywhere, its like a game of wheres waldo.

Some of the shit in my city is incredible, especially when they get up and bomb fuckin huge billboards and stuff.

I think graffiti is a powerfull tool socially as well. Our society claims to have 'free speach' yet the only people who are allowed to publicly display their messages are those with thousands of dollars. that is the OPPOSITE of free speach and it is in fact very expensive speach. This kind of systems serves to ensure that only the very rich get to have their voices heard and the poor remain silent.

When i see a political sign or commmerical add that i dislike or disagree with i feel i have every right to put my own message on top of it. If some dildo is allowed to put up a big sign implying that mcdonalds food will make you dance in the rain with hot women for all to see than im allowed to write FAT FUCKS DONT DANCE IN THE RAIN over top of it, you know? that kind of thing

Anyways hopefully my man Mcmizzle will come through tonite and give me some free paint so i can resume my tour of duty. (this shit is an addiction)

see what yall think

peace

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
Re: graffiti ethics [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3191926 - 09/28/04 02:50 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Keep on buetifying the world man.
Try to hit up some railroad cars, that way your art will be on display all across the country.

--------------------

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#3191954 - 09/28/04 02:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I live in Canada as well and I can admit to seeing a lot of quality graphs. Some have even held some pretty strong messages, wow. But again, there's lots of posers and some extremely ugly crap that gets sprayed around town.

I think if kids suck ass, they should stick to tagging their garages and dirty alleys. But people who actually know what they're doing, well, if they're going to be vandalizing things then atleast it looks nice!!!

I'm not advocating vandalism by the way, but I do realize that there are very talented artists out there and I can recognize them for serious. I've seen some pretty kickass tags, and I've seen a lot of sad shit that wrecks our lovely scenery. :smirk:

One big discrepency I have here - Tagging mother nature!!! Grrr. There's some lovely bluffs about 15 minutes from my house, some loser sprayed "Whudup Dogg" on a very gorgeous rock side. Fuck, what the fuck was that fag thinking? Every time you swim in that lake and look towards them, you see that disturbing peice of shit. It really angers me when kids are inconsiderate like that. Bunch a fuckin tards if you ask me.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Invisiblethepodman
Pod King

Loc: Pod Nightmare
Re: graffiti ethics [Re: browndustin]
    #3191972 - 09/28/04 02:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah most the stuff I see here looks like it was done by a 5 year old. You should come here and spray paint stuff. I actually wouldn't mind if someone spray painted my fence (either side) with some awesome art, but they say do unto others as you would like done to you or whatever so I would be spray painting if I was good, but I never tried it so chances are I'd be horrible.

--------------------
www.drugpolicyalliance.org
"Hey daddy, president Bush tried marijuana, I think I will."

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3192199 - 09/28/04 03:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

there is a code of conduct usually. no one will ever go over someone elses work. ever. its all teh kiddies on their lunch break going out with their sharpie and scribling crap that looks bad. i love grafiti, hate tags. i think you'll find with real grafiti artists that they are pretty cool people and very moral. i have even seen walls and such made FOR grafiti artists. i dont think they want to destroy buildings jsut share art and/or messages.

i totally agree with brown dustin. leave it for manmade crap that already looks liek shit. rock bluffs are not as easily cleaned... keep the nice places nice, and beautify the ugly ones.

i wouldnt (although i dont do much at all..but my friends are into it) touch any private places or natural places. only public or buisness. if i caught someone spraying my fence there would be some hell to pay. it cost people money to paint over, and it may seem liek they dont care or its ugly but maybe not to them. so i just stay away and make my friends do the same, at least when im around.

billboards, signs, and bridges have to be my favorite for reading meaning full grafiti.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Re: graffiti ethics [Re: thepodman]
    #3192209 - 09/28/04 04:00 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Homer Simpson: See, boy, when will you learn? The money's in Bootlegging...not in your petty vandalism.

:smirk:

I saw a port-o-potty next to a street construction site last night. The tagger wrote POOP on it... i kinda thought that was funny.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
    #3192230 - 09/28/04 04:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

are you the one with the blue spray can that wrote "Jesus Saves" on every fucking piller of every bridge on every interstate in the united states?

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: graffiti ethics [Re: kadakuda]
    #3192259 - 09/28/04 04:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

kadakuda said:
no one will ever go over someone elses work.

only if it's quality.  if it's some silly shit or looks like some punk kids did it with a bunch of toys...it'll probably get buffed.

tagging personal property is a no-no.  but feel free to bomb some corporate type walls and stuff like that. :thumbup:

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Re: graffiti ethics [Re: Adom]
    #3192263 - 09/28/04 04:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"One big discrepency I have here - Tagging mother nature!!! Grrr. There's some lovely bluffs about 15 minutes from my house, some loser sprayed "Whudup Dogg" on a very gorgeous rock side. Fuck, what the fuck was that fag thinking? Every time you swim in that lake and look towards them, you see that disturbing peice of shit. It really angers me when kids are inconsiderate like that. Bunch a fuckin tards if you ask me. "

no shit. Mother nature is off limits. Although i must admit if some amazingly good tagger did some wicked bomb up on some cliff and you just like were hiking and come ontu it in the wilderness that would blow my mind.

Oh yeah and some people do tag over other tags, mostly the gang taggers. Some people are assholes.

This one guy in winnipeg, sour i think it is, is the fucking shit. Ive seen his tag on every corner of the city.

--------------------

Edited by Moonshoe (09/28/04 04:54 PM)

Offlineelxsie
Stranger
    #3192369 - 09/28/04 05:16 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.banksy.co.uk/

paint your politics.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Re: graffiti ethics [Re: elxsie]
    #3193044 - 09/28/04 07:27 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

that banksy guy is a god. More links!

--------------------

OfflinePuZuZu
Board Bum
 User Gallery

Loc: Idaho (USA)
    #3193133 - 09/28/04 07:42 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i hate graffiti generally because of all the little faggot gangbangers that like to cover up garage doors and brick walls with black colored gang signs/names. i mean seriously, noone fucking cares what side you shout from let alone you exist.

the graffiti that is pretty cool is the train car stuff. i'm still curious about how they pull that off and its nice to gaze at it like a gallery when you sit there watching the train go by. i still can't seem to read any of it though. thats why 'sharing the message' kinda fails.

art is art but if it doesn't fit the background its gay. leave it to the professionals. I myself am fucking good with the graffiti pencil shit but spray painting is weak with my skills. also spray painting the old classic metal trash cans is tight too. =)

--------------------
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you would never get on."
Lance Armstrong

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: graffiti ethics [Re: PuZuZu]
    #3193147 - 09/28/04 07:46 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

totally agree. but grafiti artists wont, at least the ones i speak with. i dont consider small stupid tags like with a jiffy marker spellign out "poop" as grafiti. just random vandelizism. true grafiti, im my opinion at least, is true art that no one who is serious about doing it touches. except gangs. they have tehir own thing goin, but even still teh people i have spoken to wont do it unless its someone tehy dont particularly "like". thats how it is around here anyway.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
    #3193166 - 09/28/04 07:50 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not too sure about tagging. Unless it's a bomb. But tags in marker, on mailboxes, I dont really dig. I personaly don't like to put anything on peoples personal property. i try to put my stuff up like its fine art. somewhere people dont mind seeing it. and something people might, maybe want to see.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #3193185 - 09/28/04 07:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think it is wrong to tag anything that you don't have permission to tag. You have no right to modify someone else's property. Its vandalism.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblefunkymonk
 User Gallery

Re: graffiti ethics [Re: z@z.com]
    #3193201 - 09/28/04 07:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I agree zatz.
But bizzness' are totaly different. And in the back, or at least not on there front window.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Re: graffiti ethics [Re: funkymonk]
    #3193360 - 09/28/04 10:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

its all a joke really as ive noticed that morals and ethics are all relative and therefore in the truest sense non-existant. Therefore the only things i wont do are things i feel guilty about and graffiti isnt one of them. Therefore i continue in spite of its wrongness. Cuz it really is so damn rite.

--------------------

Invisiblefunkymonk
 User Gallery

#3193392 - 09/28/04 10:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

It's not even a question of being moraly sound, or ethical. It's about doing something with respect. Respect more so for the art of grafitti than the physical object you happen to write your tag on.

Anyone can walk down the street doing his tag on every jiffy friendly surface. You said yourself that you think graffiti is an art. Well art doesn't beling in a public washroom wall.

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: graffiti ethics [Re: funkymonk]
    #3193486 - 09/28/04 10:42 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Make art in the world. Live art on the streets.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

OfflineSnape
Eternal Chaos
Male

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
    #3193603 - 09/28/04 11:00 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Moonshoe said:
habitually

You come from somewhere in Quebec huh? :smile:

--------------------
I'm floating in the sea of stars,
I'm drifting away from the shore
I will be lost in the dream when the dark days come
But I will make the time run backwards and
I'll make the stars shine again

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order