Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMoxemerald
Executive

Loc: NJ
Meditation?
    #3154262 - 09/19/04 09:54 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

If anyone who reads this is an active meditator then I would liek to ask a few questions because I'd liek to get into it.

How do you go about starting to meditate?

-I've read on sites you just relax and focus on your breathing, but i never really got anything out of it. I mean, i guess it was rleaxing but I couldn't reall yget the gist of it.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Meditation? [Re: Moxemerald]
    #3154270 - 09/19/04 09:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

There are as many ways to meditate as there are stars in the sky.

To meditate is simple.The secret to meditations is formed within two words."Do nothing.". :grin:

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

OfflineElfWizard
Wizard
Loc: The middle,Outside,nowher...
    #3154548 - 09/19/04 10:57 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

start easy just learn to "relax" sounds easier then it is do what works for you sit in a hot tub with some music. Meditation is just an advanced form of relaxing like Geometry is an advanced form of math you can't start there you start at basic math and work your way up. Right now your most relaxed state is sleeping "hopefuly" but meditation trys to achive this without going acually to sleep. so you can acive the same brain waves as you do in sleep but allowing you to control it like lucid dreaming but still the point is to remain "awake" while you do this.

--------------------
"Fear is the Mind Killer"
Frank Herbert's Dune

"Shoot straight, conserve ammo and never cut a deal with a dragon"
Shadowrun street Proverb

To announce there must be no critisism of the president or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile but is morally treasonous to the american public
Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Meditation? [Re: ElfWizard]
    #3154560 - 09/19/04 11:00 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

just learn to "relax" sounds easier then it is 

Yes.Not easy at all.One is so conditioned to be always moving that the mind often panicks when one isnt in motion constantly either physiicaly or mentally.The mind will run rampant unless controlled.Meditation requires learning to restrain the mind from wandering and being over-active.It is often a very long process that progresses slowly but it is well worth the journey. :grin:

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3155062 - 09/20/04 09:16 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

this will give you more traction:

Sit in your comfortable position (or lie down - whatever -really)

As you breathe in and out concentrate on a small area (like a dime) at the end of your nose.

use the following to keep attention on the process:
during the inbreath say to yourself
"beginning middle end" at the approriate places during the inhallation.
during the out breath say to yourself
"beginning middle end" at the approriate places during the exhallation.

if it is a long breath say "a long breath"

merely note any distractions and return to the "work" without reprimand or involvement.

keep it up for 20 mins.
tell me what happens

Edited by redgreenvines (09/20/04 09:17 AM)

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3155431 - 09/20/04 11:38 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

feel your entire body, not onluy the breathing :wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Meditation? [Re: Gomp]
    #3155486 - 09/20/04 11:59 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Gomp said:
feel your entire body, not onluy the breathing :wink:

well,

if you can apply the same kind of steady concentration to the contact that the body makes with the surface on which it rests (a bit more complicated alternative).

but it needs to be steady concentration as with tip of nose.
just wandering through the body is not going to function in this which is essentially the BURMESE method. and flashing on images of energy flows is not it either.

after some level of absorption is achieved you can experiment with the 360 degree in all direction awareness stuff, but you need to do the concentration to get to that point.

feeling the whole body is great, joyous etc. but I tell my student to follow this instruction and not to improvise, and then claim that "their homework is done" having done something else.

In the simple meditation I gave above, feeling the body is in the class of drifting and one would return to the point of concentration without reprimand as many times as necessary during the 20 minutes, (feel the body afterwards if you get my point)

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Meditation? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3155557 - 09/20/04 12:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hehe, feel the body as you sink in to your thoughts, dont focus, just feel. blood pumping through the vains ect. hehe
:thumbup:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #3156034 - 09/20/04 01:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Seriously, just be. There's absolutely nothing to it :wink:

At first, like others have said, it will seem hard. But it shouldn't, and if it is, then passively acknowledge it and continue. Remember that meditation isn't an action but rather a lack of one. Be like an inanimate object, desireless, yet content, in it's own existence.

When you start meditating, you may find that you will naturally return to that no-mind state throughout the day, even when doing tasks. Meditation does not have any requirements, you can be doing anything so long as your mind is in a focused state of awareness. With this, comes a whole new perspective on the external world.

Don't make meditation seem like a chore. Instead, practice it whenever you feel the requirement to, not on a strict time basis. The frequency of sessions (intentional or not) will increase as you are ready to, so it really requires very little planning.

Enjoy :smile:

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3156036 - 09/20/04 01:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

> How do you go about starting to meditate?

It isn't so important what you do when you start as it is to get in the habit of doing it on a schedule at the same time everyday. Don't go for too long... twenty minutes or so... but be sure you make it a regular habit.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Meditation? [Re: Seuss]
    #3156152 - 09/20/04 02:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

If that works then great, but personally I find it to be more beneficial on a moment-by-moment basis rather than at a set time. Otherwise, it feels like something you have to do, which for me, is the opposite of what meditation is about.

But to each their own, and at first following a routine will probably help you get used to meditating.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Meditation? [Re: deff]
    #3156465 - 09/20/04 03:13 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

deff, you may be a natural because what you are referring to is what meditation turns into.

some people are natural at it.

others require some calesthenics before they can comfortably get into a stride with the moment.

so, this is not about making meditation into a chore or trying to trick one's self into thinking it is not work to change one's habits either: restructuring the psyche is hard work, work that requires care and consideration, dedication and integrity.

meditation is work that will affect the personality such that moment to moment awareness is facillitated.

later one can ease into the cruising modes that you are referring to, and have been gifted to be natural at.

even after one has learned to surf on reality this way, one can benefit by the time honored techniques to intensify that agility etc., or one can transcend the whole thing altogether to nibbana, or whatever.

but the question posed at this time, is how does one begin.

the method is clear and the beginners know who they are.
(btw I am also the beginner on a daily basis, and have been for 3 decades)

Edited by redgreenvines (09/20/04 03:15 PM)

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in
    #3156597 - 09/20/04 03:46 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

well i too have just started to practice meditation and i have a couple of pointers that work for me anyway...

first in the department of relaxation... there are lots of tense muscles in the face which need to be relaxed and that is done not only by "relaxing them" but also not thinking and not feeling anything... in assance not inteacting to any feeling or thought that may pop up...
the best example i can give for what i mean is when you watch TV try to notice your facial experstion and then realize it has alot to do with what you're watching (TV is BAD!!! you are subjected to depressing stuff... problames... murder... politics... and all these bad things stick to your facial exprestion and also your general feeling!)

also... try to do it while REALLY stoned!!!
when i'm stoned i can submit my self to nothing more easely i think
though when i'm stoned i have LOADS of thoughts but that's where the breathing comes in and once you're intune with your breathing and totally realxed you're assentialy "there" :smile:

hope this makes sense
enjoy!

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

OfflineMoxemerald
Executive

Loc: NJ
Re: Meditation? [Re: Simisu]
    #3156880 - 09/20/04 05:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Wow, awesome. Thanks a lot guys I'm gonna give it a go soon.

Hopefully I'll learn with time to truly relax.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale