Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Reliable Hard Drives
    #3154223 -

I currently have 500gb of data stored on my hard drives. I believe the drives are beginning to fail because of some odd sounds and poor performance. This is too much data to back up (on my budget anyway). Does anyone know what hard drives are the most reliable?


--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reliable Hard Drives [Re: z@z.com]
    #3154514 -

Don't get the western digital 80gb 5400rpm. I've seen hundreds of these die a nasty clicking death.

You might be able to get a DVD burner, they can hold about 4.7gb i think. The new double layer ones can hold a lot more.

price watch has 250GB for $138 shipped. http://www.pricewatch.com/h/prc.aspx?i=26&a=5003&f=1

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reliable Hard Drives [Re: Worf]
    #3154525 -

I have a dvd burner, but I have lots of data that is constantly changing. I need hard drives that are not prone to fail. I guess raid is what I need, but frankly I'm not sure I can afford it.


--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reliable Hard Drives [Re: z@z.com]
    #3154556 -

$280 for a pair of hitachis isn't too bad. They come with a 3 year warranty so if you have raid 1 data loss shouldn't be an issue.

Also I'm sure ther are places where you can upload your data too for a monthly fee.

Or hell, just get 500 gmail accounts.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reliable Hard Drives [Re: z@z.com]
    #3156206 -

IBM drives have proven the most reliable in my professional experience (technician, mainframe & mid-range system operator, programmer, manager of IT department, consultant & analyst). Other drives are cheaper, but...

If you can afford it, I would recommend setting up RAID on your system. A simple disk mirroring (raid level 1 - built into the motherboard) is what I use on my home office PC. It works seamlessly in the background.


--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reliable Hard Drives [Re: Evolving]
    #3157776 -

IBM's 75gxp line sucked. My drive died in less than 6 months and there were hundreds of other complaints about it. Since then I haven't gone back to IBM. They're also a bit more expensive than other drives. I have 3 WD caviar drives, and they're all working great.

Maxtor has their MaXLine III. Up to 300gb capacity, and a claimed "Ultra-reliable: designed for 1 million hours MTTF" off their website.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Reliable Hard Drives [Re: daussaulit]
    #3157949 -

Well, I've had no experience with the 75gxp line, but I have returned less IBM drives to vendors than any other brand... but that's just my experience. I currently use 2 WD Raptor SATA drives mirrored using the hardware raid that came with my MB (Gigabyte) and have no complaints. They give me SCSI like performance with lower cost. I consider them a good value and would not hesitate to buy more.


--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* A home-built ram drive? HagbardCeline 1,357 1 07/08/04 05:23 PM
by HagbardCeline
* Firewire hard drive Vats of Blood 767 3 04/10/04 11:51 AM
by Seuss
* Electromagnetic Hard Drive Erasing?
( 1 2 all )
EffedS 5,845 35 08/01/03 07:52 PM
by Effed
* Installing a second Hard drive Ole Field Trashe 1,092 8 06/01/04 09:34 AM
by MAIA
* Using two hard drives at once. Anonymous 904 7 08/15/03 02:21 PM
by Le_Canard
* quiet hard drive? Anonymous 835 8 10/30/04 11:16 AM
by bbbaaa
* Virus' and hard drives.... Randolph_Carter 814 6 12/05/03 08:41 AM
by Anno
* hard drive cleaner? Anonymous 1,315 12 03/04/04 01:38 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
656 topic views. 0 members, 2 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.021 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.