Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethem_26
enthusiast
PF= no pressure cooker?
    #311386 - 05/07/01 02:09 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I've read pf's substrate prep. and was wondering if it is really possible to sterilize w/o a pressure cooker. From everything I've read(nothing much on the cake method) it seems this claim is misleading. Is not the pressure necessary to kill bacteria/contaminants that heat alone can not? Also, shouldn't you use non-"natural" water to avoid introducing the same things you are trying to kill off w/the p-cooker(a tea made w/pasturized media sounds feasible but to just go down to the neighborhood swimming hole????) I know this method works for many but it doesn't seem sterile enough. Anyone tried it with and without the p-cooker on the same strain(preferably w/ an isolated dikaryotic mycelium) to judge the difference in contam. percentages? umm... thankyou.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: PF= no pressure cooker? [Re: them_26]
    #311408 - 05/07/01 02:39 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

the large amount of vermiculite, combined with the fact that the grain is ground into flour, makes the substrate airy enough to steam sterilise

OfflineDvoid
journeyman
    #311426 - 05/07/01 03:04 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

just as a side note, old timer's method makes bulk possible w/o a pc and it does work

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
    #311438 - 05/07/01 03:12 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

steaming works great.. if your on a tight budget there's no need to get a pressure cooker... all your sterilizing needs can be taken care of in a large pot.... contamination happens occasionaly (as with all sterilizing teks) ... now with the pond water... sounds like a good idea unless you have run-off from chemical fertilizers, toxic chemicals,or even raw sewage seeping into your local "swimming hole" ... all of the biological contaminants that you may encounter in a natural aqatic environment will be killed thanks to sterilization... providing their corpses as fodder for the flesh of the gods! :smile: good luck and peace

go fish

Offlinethem_26
enthusiast
Re: PF= no pressure cooker? [Re: Dvoid]
    #311665 - 05/07/01 07:31 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Thakn you all. By the way, what is the old timer's method? I sold all my indoor grow equip that was being used 4 my orchids. A grand worth and all the shop gave me was a lousey 240 bucks. I 've got 75 left and was hoping the p-cker could be avoided but am completely unfamiliar w/these "new" methods. Hopefully after the 1st flush I'll be able to buy one so I can start having some real fun and isolate the stringy little buggers. After that (if current legal situation permits) I'd like to go ahead, isolate some mycelium, and find out if there is a big difference in contamination rates(and yeah, I'll keep all other control factors identical). I'm sure there may/must(pick whichever one keeps-you happy- this thread from becoming contaminated.) Dream a little dream:) Anyone w/a different opinion please respond.Ty

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
    #311672 - 05/07/01 07:40 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

so what you want to figure out is if there's a certain strain(s) out there that contaminates more than others? sounds like a good project... thanks for promising to keep us all posted... peace and good luck

go fish

Offlinethem_26
enthusiast
Re: PF= no pressure cooker? [Re: BrownPastures]
    #312453 - 05/08/01 04:14 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Actually,to begin with, Eye want to see the difference in contamination rates between the use/absence of a p-ckr vs. steam sterilization on the PF cake substrate.

InvisibleMy Third Eye
old hand

Folding@home Statistics
    #312466 - 05/08/01 04:31 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

i dont know if this makes any difference or not but when i was using the steam method i always added a little more water than what was needed and steamed it for 1 and a half hours intead of 1..no contamination at all..peace.

point the finger blame the other
watch the temple topple over
bring the pieces back together..rediscover communication

--------------------
suddenly a flaming stealth banana split the sky
like one would hope but never really expect
to see in a place like this.
Cutting right angle donuts on a dime
and stopping right at my Birkenstocks,
and me yelping...Holy fucking shit!

OfflineKrendle
veteran
Re: PF= no pressure cooker? [Re: My Third Eye]
    #312650 - 05/08/01 08:06 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

The only thing to be careful of there would be to make sure taht you don't get water actually sloshing into your jars, because that will mess up the ratio of water/brf/verm in your substrate. But of course more water is always better than too little, right?

This space for rent.

--------------------
First person to PM me with a truly witty sig gets to see their words at the bottom of my posts :wink:

Offlinethem_26
enthusiast
Re: PF= no pressure cooker? [Re: Krendle]
    #313274 - 05/09/01 04:09 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

But it shouldn't be hard to use a measuring cup to determine how much water is lost within a 1/2 hour period. If you haven't yet developed that natural feel, eh?
Pressure cook 4 15min vs. 1 hour. Most agree an hour right? So I guess I'll do the extra 1/2 hour like M-T-E suggested.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains