Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

From Cutting
    #3122357 - 09/11/04 12:59 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

It seems fairly simple to start from an unrooted cutting. I looked it up on the internet and did a search on this site, but I just want to make sure I got everything down so I don't end up wasting 50 bucks on 2 cuttings. This question has probably been asked many times, and I'm sorry for asking again but I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up.

Alright, you take your cutting and wait for it to callous over. Then you dip it in some rooting powder and into your soil mix, which should be moist but not wet. Wait about 2 weeks for the roots to grow - do not water in these 2 weeks. After the 2 weeks, then you water the cactus (by the way, this will be for some Trichocereus bridgesii). Have I basically got what your suppose to do? Doesn't seem complicated, just making sure I'm not missing a step.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
Re: From Cutting [Re: theocean06]
    #3122400 - 09/11/04 01:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

It's not complicated, cuttings of about 12" should root very quickly.
A while ago I chopped my pachanoi into 3-4" cuttings. I dipped the ends in rooting hormone as soon as they were cut, and left them for two weeks to callous. Then I put them horizontally in soil mix so that they were half buried, and left them in the dry soil for another week. Then I started watering lightly, and they had all started to root in about two weeks.
Bigger cuttings should root quicker than this.
Although, in another topic Stonehenge has just said that pachanoi grows more quickly than bridgesii. Maybe he has experience with cuttings of this plant?

Edit: here are my cuttings now. They were chopped on 28th June, and are kept under flouros. They might have done better in the sun, but I didn't have anywhere suitable to put them.

And here's the stump:

Edited by Openminded (09/11/04 01:17 PM)

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: From Cutting [Re: Openminded]
    #3122490 - 09/11/04 01:41 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

tres cool!!!

did you do anythign to the half thats in the dirt? or just leave it as is?

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlinetheocean06

Re: From Cutting [Re: Openminded]
    #3122569 - 09/11/04 02:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you very much for your help. Though your cuttings are a bit different then the one I will be purchasing: http://plant-planet.net/trichocereus_bridgesii.htm - It's probably the same general idea.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
    #3122676 - 09/11/04 02:46 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

It says on that site that they are "ready for rooting," so they might already be calloused over..? That will speed things up nicely.
The general idea will be the same. Just plant it deep enough in your soil to stop it from falling over. Rooting hormone might help on a cutting that is already calloused, but I'm not sure how well the hormone will get accross the callous. It can't hurt to try though.

Kadakuda, the half in the soil was just left as it is. Rooting hormone was only applied to the cut ends. There was quite a long delay between roots forming and pups forming, as you can see two cuttings still aren't growing. With a tip cutting you should see growth much sooner.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #3122760 - 09/11/04 03:24 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You are paying $50 for two cuttings? That seems awful high. I have a few bridgesiis and they have not grown much at all. My pedros have done very well. Just do like Openminded said and you will be fine. Keep in mind that they will get big some day so you should plant them not too close or else repot them later. It's a long term project, not a couple month project but you will be rewarded.

I never use rooting hormone but you can. Sometimes they make pups before they root and sometimes after. When they are well rooted, pedros like lots of water and sun but let the soil dry out between waterings. Bridgesii is not so tolerant of water and will develop rot if overwatered.

Stoney

Offlinetheocean06

Re: From Cutting [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3122890 - 09/11/04 04:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yes I'm paying 50 bucks for 2 12 inch cuttings of Trichocereus bridgesii, but that isn't bad compared to other vendors.  The rooted San Pedros are only 12.50 so I'm going to pick up some of those too since I find that a pretty good deal.  Thanks everyone for your help :smile: :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies