Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Need ID on Amanita, Northern NH!
    #3119044 -

Amanitas are really the only active mushroom I've found so far. I was walking my dog when I came across some Amanita-type mushroom. It was a healthy, pumpkin orange in the center, but near the edges, it seemed to have faded, and in fact the cap seemed to have disappeared, leaving only the gills on the edges. The cap is cupped, meaning it could hold water if it rained. There's the small little white triangular spines in the center and middle, but not in the edges. The cap is about six and a half inches across. I know it's an Amanita, but I wasn't sure if it was a Phalliode (sp). I saw one of those earlier today, I think, it looked like a regular amanita, except it was completely white. I also found another Amanita similar to the orange one, except it looked like it had completely faded from a nice orange to a sorta sickly lemon yellow.


I'm not sure if these are just white amanitas that turned orange, or orange ones that faded. The spore print is in the process of being made. The bruise is actually like a sickly grey. At least, when I was carrying the caps, the part where my fingers sorta smushed the gills turned blackish greyish.


The stems are slightly hollow inside. If anyone could help me with an ID, I'd be grateful! I don't want to eat a death cap. I think it's a Muscaria var formosa, was found on the edge of a very mushroom rich forest.


Either that or a pantherina. Also, the supposed death cap I mentioned above could also have been a pantherina. It was similar to my other two finds, except pure white.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Need ID on Amanita, Northern NH! [Re: Hawkeye2]
    #3119086 -

It seems, based on pics from Erowid, that the poisionous Amanitas don't have those spines. The white one and both of my yellow/orange ones do. Does this mean that they're good Amanitas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Need ID on Amanita, Northern NH! [Re: Hawkeye2]
    #3119113 -

Update, I identified the orangish ones as Formosa. Does anyone have an idea of the Amanita that looks like a Fly Agaric, except pure white?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Need ID on Amanita, Northern NH! [Re: Hawkeye2]
    #3119367 -

Quote:
Update, I identified the orangish ones as Formosa. Does anyone have an idea of the Amanita that looks like a Fly Agaric, except pure white?



Well, there's Amanita muscaria var. alba, for starters.

Happy mushrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Need ID on NH Find. Masaru 876 4 07/29/03 04:24 PM
by Masaru
* Re: if you know anything about distinguishing amanitas or hunting them, please read... Anonymous 1,625 6 07/24/00 08:37 AM
by Samlack99
* UK Mushroom (id help) SalviaEngland 4,975 12 10/04/02 12:40 AM
by viscid
* Amanita muscaria
( 1 2 all )
ToxicManM 8,511 22 01/23/10 03:39 PM
by Psilocybeingzz
* amanita in pa? apexfire 1,495 2 08/08/01 12:07 PM
by superpimp
* Need ID on these Seattle Amanitas BitterPill 739 3 10/03/04 08:19 PM
by PlatinumCaps
* Big harvest...good? Need ID help...(lots of pics) Shadler77 2,650 8 09/18/02 11:28 PM
by zeronio
* Amanita Find in West Central Florida ID please
( 1 2 all )
MagmaManiac 10,049 33 06/11/03 11:58 PM
by MagmaManiac

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
1,018 topic views. 1 members, 68 guests and 65 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 14 queries.