Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecoolmarcel
coolest marcelever

frusterated in michigan
    #3091130 - 09/04/04 12:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hello shroomery,
before i visited this site, at the start of this year, i knew very little about mushrooms of any kind and i must say you guys do a real bang up job of keeping people informed and safe... you have a real top notch community here...

anyways i live in michigan on a 30 acre horse farm and most of the people around me own horses as well... i definately have no shortage of mushrooms hunting land within walking distance from my house (woodland state hunting land, horse farms, cow farms, hay fields, swamps and forests ect)... i spent most of the spring and summer studying online the difference between subbs and foes and trying to familiarize myself with all the locally growing fungi... i think i have done a pretty decent job of learning what grows where but i am still having trouble finding anything active... i can't find the damn subbs

now that its is labor day weekend i am interested in looking for any of the gymnolious type mushrooms that could possibly grow in michigan... i know that there are some fall look-a-likes such as the jack-o-lantern fungi i guess my question is, is there any gym resources, such as gumby's site for subbs (btw thx that page was a big help) http://www.impakt.net/~tyler/subbs/ , for any gymnolious mushrooms especially any that grow in michigan. i have searched google and the forums on this site, to a greater or lesser extent, but haven't been able to find the kind of rock solid info on gym's i'm looking for. I guess i'm also asking because i remember reading somewhere that the gymnolious may not be as easily identified as other species and would just like some pointers.

On a recent hunt i think i may have found a patch that resembled some gyms but they were already rotten beyond saving. I left them be but i took some pictures and was wondering if anybody could tell me if i was on the right track. I suppose they could be anything but if anybody sees anything that could be a good sign, i'd sure like to know. Otherwise i'll have to wait until the next flush comes in for a better id. anyways here is the decription.

a. Habitat - edge of a corn field on a rotting tree in michigan
b. Characteristics of the gills -black from rot
c. Measurements of cap and stem. - large caps, some 6-8"+ i'd guess
d. Characteristics of the stem - mostly solid i think, the worms with pink to reddish
e. Characteristics of the cap - orange to black from rot
f. Spore print color - didn't even try
g. Color that the mushroom bruises - ditto
h. Scent of mushroom - rotten

***warning pics are about 1 meg a piece***

rotten 1
rotten 2

well there is that... one last thing earlier in the summer, probably mid july, i found the following mushroom
yellow side
yellow top

i didn't know what it was or if it was worth saving or consuming and have long since disposed of it. in recent posts i have noticed a striking resemblance to some sort of amanita varity. at the time i wasn't aware of any active properties associated with this mushroom and am still not clear on how an amanita varies from a psilocybe or panaeolus or gymnolious mushroom. if somebody could point me in the right direction on that too it would be much appreciated, though its probably not that important because i haven't run across anything similiar since. (btw it was found not 100 yards away at the edge of another field close to where i found the first mushrooms in this post growing in knee high hay field type grass)

that's about it for now... sorry to ramble on and on so much and if you read this far through my post much thanks... i'll be around....
-peace coolmarcel

P.S. i have taken many pictures this summer of what i've found locally but i only have 56k and limited online storage space... most all the pictures are quite large in size (about 1 meg each) i'd be happy to share them but am new with digital photography and don't know an easy way to get them on the web any tips there would also be appreciated

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: frusterated in michigan [Re: coolmarcel]
    #3092946 - 09/04/04 09:03 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

As you suspect, your yellow mushroom is an Amanita. However, it does not appear to be Amanita muscaria. There is not enough information in your photo to accurately identify it to species, or even to subgenus.

The "active" species of Amanita differ from the various species of Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus in the toxins each contain. The Amanitas contain Ibotenic Acid and Muscimole, and the others contain Psilocybin and Psilocin (Note that for each these are only the most important toxins. All of them contain lots of other chemicals, mostly of unknow effect.). The effects of Ibotenic Acid and Muscimole are dramatically different from those of Psilocybin and Psilocin. There are lots of references on the Internet which give a great amount of detail on the exact effects. The short version is that Psilocybin and Psilocin seem to be relatively pleasant and free from major unpleasant side effects, and Ibotenic Acid and Muscimole usually produce significant unpleasant side effects often resulting in visits to an emergency room. Fortunately, all of them are very rarely fatal.

The other main reason to discourage people from sampling Amanitas is that the genus Amanita is responsible for about 95% of all fatalities from people eating mushrooms. While many people dismiss the risk because the known deadly Amanitas are not very similar to Amanita muscaria (the best known of the "active" Amanitas), the toxicities of the majority of the species of Amanita have not been studied in detail. New deadly mushrooms are discovered as time passes. A recently discovered as lethal species (1992) is Amanita smithiana, which causes death with as yet unknown toxins that attack the kidneys and sometimes the liver. Accurate identification of the huge number of yellowish to tan capped Amanitas is difficult, and authorities have stated that there are several currently undescribed species in North America.

Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #3093678 - 09/05/04 12:25 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Your first mushrooms could have been a number of different species. Keep an eye on that log in the future because there is a possiblity that those are Gyms.

Thanks for mentioning that subb guide... I need to get to work on getting the galleries working. Just need to find time between school/work/social life. I'll do it as soon as I can.

Offlinecoolmarcel
coolest marcelever

#3098261 - 09/06/04 08:32 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

thanks so much for the help guys..... i'll keep an eye out.....

i was going through some pics yesterday and i found some amanitas
picutures i'd taken earlier in the summer and forgot about i'd just throught i'd share...

these are more possible rotting gyms

this i didn't put an id on but i didn't pick either it just looked neat

Offlinecharvo
JOURNEYMAN
Male

Loc: In The Hand Of The World
    #3098620 - 09/06/04 11:01 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i think of your going to find any active mushrooms.they will be the cold weather wood digesting psilocybe like cyan. or azur.

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: frusterated in michigan [Re: charvo]
    #3098655 - 09/06/04 11:13 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

uhh, neither of those species grow wild in michigan charvo :smirk:...

nice pics coolmarcel, I think there's a good chance those old dried out ones are some kind of Gymnopilus as well, keep an eye out for new fruitings....

DH

Offlinecharvo
JOURNEYMAN
Male

Loc: In The Hand Of The World
Re: frusterated in michigan [Re: spores]
    #3098667 - 09/06/04 11:15 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

ok so i wnet back to my book.i agree your right. the book dosn't menation them growing near here.just the climate is cool and temprate. i thought if any would grow here it would be those.

Edited by charvo (09/06/04 11:27 AM)

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: frusterated in michigan [Re: charvo]
    #3098710 - 09/06/04 11:24 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I can't tell you exactly why, but azures only grow wild in the PNW.  Cyans have been found in other temperate climates such as the UK and around europe, but not michigan.

:shrug:

DH

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract