Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEmPtY84
Stranger
will a "expert" please resolve this for me...
    #3068387 - 08/30/04 08:55 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hey guys, im quite new to mushroom hunting (only gone out for the first time last 2 days, have about 80 mushrooms) but i need something answering... i live in the UK, and i from what i have researched before picking, if i stick to the grassy fields and pick only caps with none white undersides, which look like liberty caps (even if i make a mistake by accident) the mushrooms will still be not be dangerous? well from what ive found on the net there are no poisonous (sp?) shrooms that grow on fields in the UK this time of year that look like liberty caps.

if im wrong could someone please point me to some species that are poisonous and do grow in the UK this time of year. Thanks for your help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: will a "expert" please resolve this for me... [Re: EmPtY84]
    #3068404 - 08/30/04 09:06 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Its true, white gilled mushrooms aren't usually a safe bet to eat. However, not all dark colored gilled mushrooms are.

I dont live in the UK, nor anywhere close, however, I could imagine that by going by your means of identifiying is not smart...and not full proof.

Since youre looking for liberty caps, do some searches here in the mushroom hunting forum. You'll find tons of pictures and discussions on them.

Do a search on google as well, and you'll be able to key them very easily out in the field.

Your 80 mushrooms...why dont you give us some information on them? Read the FAQ to see what should be listed to get an accurate ID.

OfflineEmPtY84
Stranger
Re: will a "expert" please resolve this for me... [Re: angryshroom]
    #3068420 - 08/30/04 09:16 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hey, i have done lots of research, thats how ive came to this conclusion... the ID i can give you would match the Id i would give for liberty caps... And i still think my statement is true, im not trying to be an ass here (i openly admit i know little, but want to learn) I would just like someone to prove me wrong if possible.

places ive searched are:

here.
eurowid (sp?)
google
and a book on fungi at my local libary

None of these showed me any poisonious mushrooms which grow on open grassland in the same season as LCs like i said. sorry for rambling, stoned heh

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #3068424 - 08/30/04 09:18 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

yeh, what angryshroom said.

I don't condone laziness/ineptitude when it comes to mushroom hunting. 

If you can't ID the mushrooms you're picking to species, you shouldn't be eating them, period.  Liberty caps (and all Psilocybes for that matter) are quite easy to identify, a little reading would remove ALL potential risk from hunting for them, why people want to take shortcuts and risk poisoning for something that is easy to learn to do in the first place I can't understand :confused:.

If you post decent pictures or scans and a description, we'll be able to help you ID things, but no one with a clue will say eating any dark-gilled mushroom you find in a pasture without knowing what it is is a safe practice.

DH

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3068433 - 08/30/04 09:23 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Some very good indicators for Psilocybe semilanceata (the liberty cap) are:

1) Cap when moist will have a removable later of translucent "skin"
2) Stem is able to wrap around a finger w/o breaking
3) Will be growing near cow patties, but not in them.
4) Stem will bruise BLUE when pinched or cut or hurt
5) Dark purple-brown sporeprint
6) Very conicle cap with a pronounced umbo or nipple.
7) Incurved margin (very end of the cap)

thats about it right now that I can remember.

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#3068462 - 08/30/04 09:34 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Check also this thread... :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineEmPtY84
Stranger
Re: will a "expert" please resolve this for me... [Re: ivi]
    #3068502 - 08/30/04 09:49 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

ok... they look like all the pics posted, except there chocolate coloured.. when i wrap them around my finger they dont break (although you can feel a snap of there structure) there slimy when wet and the outer peel comes off easily, though it isnt translucent... quite a few of the "nipples" at the top are a slightly darker chocoalete colour ( most are olivy brownish) girls are similar colour to outside of shroom. top of shroom goes inward before joining gill a tiny bit... anything else i could explain? sorry i dont have pics.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3068593 - 08/30/04 10:21 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Were they found growing around manure? Do they bruise blue? Whats the color of the gills?

OfflineEmPtY84
Stranger
    #3068605 - 08/30/04 10:24 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

gills are an chocolaty colour similar but darker to the outside... can see no blue, but have read they dont all bruise blue... they look very much like nipples... they have all gone lighter in the few hours ive picked these last ones.

can maybe see a few purple hues not sure... could just be my eyes.

grew on a field in a park (where grass is cut and left to decay) friend last year picked some from here, he said they where LCs but i didnt get a close look at them

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3068654 - 08/30/04 10:39 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The habitat is very important.

They will only grow where the soil/grass is near manure from grazers like cows or sheep. They will grow around the manure, but never in it.

Unless the park was fertilized by manure, its very, very unlikely that you found liberty caps.

Another thing to remember is that Liberty caps usually only grow the height of the surrounding grass. People who find liberty caps find them in tall clumps of grass.

IF you found your mushrooms growing in a park feild, where the grass was probably cut in the past month, they might be other species:

Conocybe tenera, or lactea and also Panaeolus foenisecii. Do an image search on these.

Another question: Was there a veil or presence of veil on the upper portion of the stem?

OfflineEmPtY84
Stranger
    #3068853 - 08/30/04 11:31 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hey thx for replying.. there was no viel (you mean a part prutruding from the stem in a ring?) and they where found growing in the longer parts on a hill facing south.. they where in grass about 5-8 inches deep. thre are no cows.... but grass is cut and left on the field, which would in turn fertalize it when it turns to mulsch.?

Offlineastralasia
UK_shroomhead

Loc: UK
    #3068854 - 08/30/04 11:32 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

EmPtY84 said:
if i stick to the grassy fields and pick only caps with none white undersides, which look like liberty caps (even if i make a mistake by accident) the mushrooms will still be not be dangerous?

They might not kill you but they are still classified as inedible for a good reason, mainly because they taste like shit. I wouldn't fancy brewing up a pile of pans and drinking it. Once you have correctly identified Psilocybe semilanceata you should be able to recognise them again. Lots of people post on here saying are these Liberty Caps and 99% of the time the answer is no.

Some common mistakes are these pans,

OfflineEmPtY84
Stranger
    #3068856 - 08/30/04 11:32 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

also they are MUCH more bell shaped then Panaeolus foenisecii, whith slightly darker "nipples" at the top.

ive also read... animals could of grazed there upto 10 years ago and you can still find LCs in such areas...  there a slightly lighter color now, they look dam appealing lol

not sure if the dark bits near the bottom of the shroom are slightly purple or if thats my brain wanting to see purple :smile:

gonna try them soon... ill let you all know how it goes

Edited by EmPtY84 (08/30/04 11:34 AM)

OfflineEmPtY84
Stranger
    #3068947 - 08/30/04 11:51 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hey.. the mushrooms i found are more bell shaped then the top one, and turns slightly inward towards the stalk at end, and they have sort of niples at the top of them. cant see no blue tho...

when i put them in water there very slimy, and i can peel off a layer of the sklin easily.

they also smell v appealing.. like normal mushrooms in a store

Edited by EmPtY84 (08/30/04 11:55 AM)

Invisibleambros
Stranger
    #3074500 - 08/31/04 03:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i got my libs positive identified here last year at first try,
they usally dont stain blue, i think that they in europe are more common to find in parks and similar than in the us

My main field is the lawn to a buildingcomplex associated with the UN and some local business companies it has a big sign with knowledgepark
in front of several hundreds libs

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract