Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineClusterHead
Grateful...
Loc: OZ
Glove box plans...What do ya think?
    #3044809 - 08/24/04 05:19 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I wanted to ask some of you what you all think the best dimensions for a glove box would be. And if I'm missing anything......thanks.

As of right now, I have:
- 2 Eureka vacuum HEPA filters measuring 6.4? x 4.75? x 1.25?
- 2 Radio Shack Brushless 12VDC Cooling fans measuring 4.75? x4.75?x1.5? with 85CFM airflow each
- 2 12V adapters
- 1 sheet of clear Lexan plastic measuring 3? x5?
- Tons of treated ?-inch plywood
- Several cans of high gloss white spray paint
- Several tubes of clear silicon
- 1 real of window weather stripping
- 1 2? stainless steel exhaust vent
- 3 5? in diameter and 3? in length PVC smooth edged jointers
- 2 4?-7? stainless steel adjustable hose clamps
- 2 pair of loose rubber gloves with a bicep sleeve length
- All hardware and hinges and such

I was thinking that 2 fans and 2 filters might be a little over kill and I should just go with 1 filter and 1 fan. What do you think?

Anyway, I?m going to build it out of 1/4-inch plywood and fasten it together with reinforced L-brackets. After cutting the front port holes, the holes on the side for the fans/filters, and the hole for the exhaust vent, I will then lay several think layers of paint on the box. After it dries, I will silicon every joint and seam of the box. Next, I will mount the fans on the inside, one on each side, where they will suck air through the predrilled holes and through the HEPA filters mounted on the outside of the box. The PVC tubes will be inserted into the front arm ports where the majority of the tube will protrude out of the front. The gloves will be inserted into the tubes and the opening of the glove will then be turned wrong side out and stretched around the tube. The hose clamps will then be placed to where they secure gloves in place around then opening. The small exhaust vent will be inserted into the predrilled hole that is located between the arm ports so that fresh air is hitting me in the chest. The top opening edge is then edged with weather stripping to make a nice seal when the top Lexan window on hinges is closed.

I was hoping you guys could give me some input on how big/small this thing should be. All I do know is that the back will be the highest point and the depth will be as far as I can reach. As for the width?. well?. I was actually thinking about making it with 3 arm ports?. one left and two right?..one right arm to reach the far end where supplies and such might be stacked.

......or should I just go with a the basic and stop thinking big.

Thanks for your input and criticism.

--------------------
Please visit Clusterbusters.com and Clusterheadaches.com

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Glove box plans...What do ya think? [Re: ClusterHead]
    #3044971 - 08/24/04 05:58 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Everything sounds good.
Looks like you have plenty of supplies!lol
I actually wouldn't suggest making the unit out of wood due to the fact that the wood itself is a nutrient source and likely to breed somthing funky if you get it wet or something. Just go out and get yourself a nice size sterilite container or something and work around that as your box. The vaccuum filters will work well for filtering your positive air supply and I would suggest using them both by siliconing them together in front of your fan. As far as the three arm port goes...You will have a positive air flow so I guess you wont really need gloves so you shouldnt be limited to how far you can reach around in the box so two should do fine.

I just read your post again and realized you plan on using gloves and an exhaust port for the positive air to escape. With a positive pressure box(given that you have sufficient air flow) you wont need the gloves at all and you will want the air flow to be coming out of the arm holes. This will keep any contams from entering the box unless you introduce them on your hands and arms. This being said all you have to do is carefully wash your hands and arms well with some antibacterial soap and a good rinse with isopropyl alcohol and you can work freely without the use of gloves. This is the beauty of the postive pressure setup,if constructed correctly.

Good Luck and feel free to pm me if you have any q's.

--------------------

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glove box plans...What do ya think? [Re: Mykey]
    #3045069 - 08/24/04 06:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Why not just use a clear tote and save hours of work only to endup with a heavy big box.

OfflineCornelius
Heinous Anus
Male User Gallery

Loc: T.O.
Re: Glove box plans...What do ya think? [Re: ClusterHead]
    #3045132 - 08/24/04 06:44 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I've done 2 grows so far with no contams and I didn't use a glove box at all - I just made sure that my syringemaking/innoculating environment was well sterilized. I definitely think a glove box adds an extra level of security, but I wouldn't do that much work unless you're SERIOUS :shiftyeyes: I would say it would be just as easy in the end to buy a professional glovebox if you're prepared to go hardcore, or do as Grower said and just adapt a clear tote.

I vote for the tote! :goodluck:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation