Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedonkey_lipz
journeyman
Rinsing in H202 better than soaking?
    #3040783 - 08/23/04 06:55 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Since the purpose of soaking is to make endospores vulnerable, couldnt you run some peroxide through the grain and destroy every last bit of bacteria before you PC? I think this would cut down contams a lot but its just a theory of mine. Ofcourse youd rinse the grain well before boiling or loading up jars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Rinsing in H202 better than soaking? [Re: donkey_lipz]
    #3041225 - 08/23/04 08:16 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Good ?

In the bulk tek by Mycofile puts 12cc h2o2 into qt. jar loaded 1/2 to 5/8 full after PC. Hopefufly I'm having sucess with this tek.
7days and no contams using wbs and g2g.

What your say'in sounds good but if the h2o2 is not rendered helpless you can only do a g2g. It would kill spores.

But what do I know I'm still a newbie.Anyone know anything about this? Might be ok if doing g2g?

???????????????????

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Anonymous

#3041248 - 08/23/04 08:22 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

a lot of old timers just load the jar, add the H2O and PC the batch. its a newer theory to soak, rinse, and simmer. but what did all the peeps learn that went before you? nothing! washem down with the H2O2.

get busy and post your "new" tek

:jammingout:

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #3041455 - 08/23/04 09:02 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote taken from Home Mushroom Cultivation with Hydrogen Peroxide by R. Rush Wayne, Ph.D.

Finally, peroxide is not a sterilant except at concentrations too high to use for mushroom growth. That is, you generally cannot use hydrogen peroxide by itself to sterilize culture media or mushroom substrates. At the concentrations that are compatible with mushroom growth, hydrogen peroxide will not kill live mold contaminants resident in the medium, and the peroxide itself will be rapidly destroyed by the peroxide-decomposing enzymes in non-sterile organic materials. Although some spores and bacteria may be killed by adding peroxide to non-sterile medium, there will be far more contaminants that will easily survive and grow within a short time. Therefore the general rule is: all culture materials and containers must be pasteurized before adding peroxide or peroxide-containing medium to them; culture materials that contain raw, unprocessed organic matter must be pressure-sterilized to destroy the peroxide-decomposing enzymes. And a corollary: any water used without pressure-sterilization in peroxide-treated medium should be clear and free of obvious particles, since any bits of organic or even inorganic material introduced with the water could harbor live contamination and/or peroxide-decomposing enzymes that would not be destroyed by pasteurization.

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Re: Rinsing in H202 better than soaking? [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #3041650 - 08/23/04 09:51 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

BiOTeK

Thanks Man. Was dreaming that would help.Been having a nightmare of a time with contam's.

Using rye grass seed flour.From two different stores.During winter,afterI got my pmp,do 42 1/2pt jars,shoot up in 3 days had growth,2 weeks into pmp,1 week shrooms growing.Would lose 3 or 4 jars to the green.No big deal. Week after week I could do no wrong.

Summer cums(in my jars)

Goddamn fucking S.O.B. mule shitting S.Texas summer gets here.
(Thats as close to French as I could get) Now 1/2 my jars or better are contam'ed.Seen 8 soild colors and 6 dots. WTF

Have cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. Now we know. I clean.

PC at 15 for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.

Why so many contam's??? AmI not PCing right??

Anyone got any ideals?

--------------------

Edited by KaptKid (08/24/04 04:18 AM)

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Re: Rinsing in H202 better than soaking? [Re: KaptKid]
    #3043509 - 08/24/04 09:32 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

bump

Can anyone help

--------------------

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

#3043670 - 08/24/04 10:16 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You could try sterilizing in steps (fractional sterilization). PC your stuff for an hour, then pull it let it cool and leave them out at room temperature for 24 hours. Then PC again for 30 minutes. Then let sit again for 24 hours. Repeat a couple times. This allows the contaminate spores/endospores (which may be surviving even a long 1.25-1.5 hour PC round) to germinate so that the successive PC rounds can kill it (once alive, they are much less tough). If you leave your stuff out after the 'final' PC round for a couple days and they still look like nothing is going on inside, then you know the stuff is likely all clear. Innoculate and continue on as you normally would. If you get contams later on even after doing all this extra PCing and waiting, then your problem is not related to PCing (you likely can go back to non-fractional method like you do now) and you should look at making sure your air is clear in the area you're working or make a glovebox and innoculate in there and get some Tyvek over the tops of the jars, or use a polyfill wad filter, or other anti-contaminate measures. Also if you stopped using the dry verm layer maybe you should use it again (at least in the summer).

Also innoculating your jars from a liquid live culture (karo, honey or malt tek) generally gives the mycelium a head start being it doesn't have to germinate in a race with the other baddies, it can just spread rather immediately (similar to how g2g works with grains).

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #3044679 - 08/24/04 02:52 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Why rye grass seed flour? Are you trying to cultivate P mexicana, P tampanensis, P semperviva or P atlantis?

Can't say I've used rye grass seed flour before but I would have thought you could sterilize it simply in a large pot like you can with millet flour. There's a post by Anno on testing pressure cookers but I can't find the link. You basicaly just add a drop of water onto the lid of your pc and if it immediately starts boiling your pc's working fine.

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags